Maserati Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am giving serious consideration to buying a 4-5 year old Maserati Spyder to use as a daily driver for the next couple of years.

Is this a viable idea ?

What should I expect in terms of annual maintenance costs (mileage will be about 5000 per year) ?

What should I look for when buying ?

·
5,887 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
I would definitely be careful with the buy unless you have a previous experience with a two seater convertible. These cars are highly impractical and unless you know what to expect you might end up being disappointed.

You'll most probably need another car to complement it. depending on your needs this other car might actually end up prevailing in your daily use.

As for specific things to look at in the spyder there is of course the roof. check status of the rubber bands within the two layers of the roof, these are mean to recall few members of the metal frame and if they don't work properly these metal parts might get stuck and actually ruin the metal frame or cut through the fabric.

Look for signs of wear on the roof right on top of the doors' windows. changing the rubber bans it's actually easy to do and obviously much cheaper than replacing the canopy.

Other than that, as for any convertible, check for sign of leakage anywhere.

I never experienced this car in rainy areas but I'd suspect it's not advisable to buy a spyder if you get a lot of rain in your area.

Then, other major point... the roof mechanism is slow so don't expect the car to be very flexible. Sudden showers might catch you off guard. The mechanism can only be operate with the car standing still, with the engine on and the handbrake pulled. Nothing like the 911 cabriolet where you can actually operate the roof up to 40km/h.

Noise in the cabin is significantly higher than in the coupe version. and the body is far less rigid.

So... not a car for the track, not a car for the rain, not a car for the traveler... but I personally love it.

Maintenance is a whole different subject as it all depends on your luck (greatly) and on your driving style (minor influence), general recommendation is to drive it spiritedly... and if conditions don't allow (too much traffic, too many speed cameras) leave the car home.

cheers

·
Registered
246 Posts
Well I suppose it depends where you live. I live in Northern California. I have a 2003 spyder CC, and it has been by daily driver for 4 1/2 years, and 47,000 fantastic miles.

No problem in rain, sun or whatever. Maybe twice I have had to stop to put the roof up, and that was because it was stop and go traffic and REALLY hot. Never a problem in rain at all, except the car gets dirty!!!!

Reliability wise, it has been no worse than the Jag XK8 I had before it, and much more reliable than my wife's SL500. The only maintenance issue is how close you are to a dealer, which can be a pain.

If you live in a hilly area, or ever have to reverse up an incline for parking, I would recommend a 6 speed instead of CC, but CC is a blast, and definitely the future (although you'll get lot's of religious arguments on this - but progress marches on). If you ever want to track the car, the CC is fabulous in that environment.

Good luck with whatever you decide, but you will find many more supporters than detractors of driving these cars all the time on this board.
Mike

·
Registered
695 Posts
Just came back from a 100-mile run through the mountains behind my home. Road elevations from 1500 to 8500 feet. It was a Spyder day. Top down, sunglasses on, outside temp: 69-71 degrees, light traffic on clean roads, radio off the whole time - the sound of a Maserati/Ferrari V8 reverbing off the canyon walls. Perfect.

Days like today; totally reaffirmed why I continue to buy droptops.

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
Friend of mine here in Tokyo has a Spyder which he uses as a daily driver for his work commute and he has had no problems (he's had it for 2 years now - bought with 20k km on the clock).

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have a 2003 spyder I love the car but I would not recommend a coupe or spyder for daily use unless your not really driving much. In terms of problems just make sure the clutch is good and the f1 pump is good to go. Those are the only things I have had problems with.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Boxer,
Nice to see you came over from Ferrari Life!

I drive my 05 CC coupe daily all summer (unfortunately our winters dont lend themselves to small powerful coupes)

I would recommend looking at a later model 04 or 05

as for things the issues with the car
The nav piece is useless bad interface, slow response, crappy maps

as for the Cambio it is the same things you check on an F1 trans Ferrari and if you treat them properly everything will be fine mine is at 20k and still going strong

I would recommend Formula Dynamics Drive by wire module if you are going to do a lot of stop and go driving...not a necessity but makes life a little easier

·
Registered
211 Posts
I am giving serious consideration to buying a 4-5 year old Maserati Spyder to use as a daily driver for the next couple of years.

Is this a viable idea ?

What should I expect in terms of annual maintenance costs (mileage will be about 5000 per year)

What should I look for when buying ?

Boxer: if your interested, I have a flawless 05 spyder for sale with 5.5k miles on it. I'm looking to latteral to either a GT or just blaze to a Viper SRT-10. Anywho, if your interested PM me!

·
Super Moderator
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Boxer: if your interested, I have a flawless 05 spyder for sale with 5.5k miles on it. I'm looking to latteral to either a GT or just blaze to a Viper SRT-10. Anywho, if your interested PM me!
Thanks but it would only be of interest if the Spyder is registered in the UK or Spain.

·
Super Moderator
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Boxer,

I drive my 05 CC coupe daily all summer (unfortunately our winters dont lend themselves to small powerful coupes)

as for the Cambio it is the same things you check on an F1 trans Ferrari and if you treat them properly everything will be fine mine is at 20k and still going strong

I would recommend Formula Dynamics Drive by wire module if you are going to do a lot of stop and go driving...not a necessity but makes life a little easier
Thanks. Based on all the feedback, I am a bit up in the air still. If I do go forward thought I woudl defintley opt for a standard 6 speed manual. It seems that you really need to buy carefully and that the 04 on wards models have less problems.

I do really like the lines on the Spyder thought.

·
Super Moderator
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Boxer,

Test drove a 03 Spyder today. Quite impressed with it but think the clutch on this particular one is due for replacement shortly. Will definitley start looking around for one seriously.

Several people have said to look for a 04 or 05 model, where there a number of changed between the 03s and the 04s ? Also is the Sky hook suspension a positive or negative ? Any other issues I should look for ?

Appreciate the help.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Several people have said to look for a 04 or 05 model, where there a number of changed between the 03s and the 04s ? Also is the Sky hook suspension a positive or negative ? Any other issues I should look for ?
By '04 I think the F1 pump/relay issue was fixed and the rear window was made glass, not plastic, and it has a cupholder.

Skyhook is a good thing.

For prepurchase inspection (PPI) items, see:
http://www.maseratilife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2875

·
Registered
744 Posts
The car is a lot of fun but I am not sure if a Spyder is a great daily driver. The body is rattly (thanks to the the very flexible chassis) and the visibility with the top up is poor (e.g. large blind spots).

I find the car takes a very long time to get to operating temp in cold weather (and runs like crap up to that point) and the lack of storage space is a nuisance.

It will work, but personally, I would not recomend it. Weekend only use is another issue....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts