Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought myself a 2005 Maserati quattroport the warranty has expired on the car and I took it in to some guy that specializes in italian cars (might have been a big mistake not going to maserati/Ferrari)anyways I got a full tune-up on the car, just after 10min of driving the car from the shop, the cars rpm jump to 5000 and blue smoke is coming out of the back ( not little bit a smoke enough to cover the block, kinda like wen some one does a massive burnout) i pull over and the engine turns off by itself, i try starting it again and it starts but only runs for about 5 to 10 sec and the car shut off kinda like if some of the pistons are not running. I any 1 know WTF am i suppose to do plz post. The car only has 47350km on it and i also see some oil leak from the bottom. (also the battery light came on if that is any more help)

·
Registered
71 Posts
To me it sounds like he over fill the engine oil, and the engine "locks" itself. The blue smoke is from the oil reaching the top part of the pistons and burns with the fuel. Did you check the oil level?
A lot of mechanics are use to check the oil level with the engine off. With Maserati you supose to check it with the engine at idle speed. That will make a big difference on the level. If you are over filling the engine you can damage it.
If he did that it is his responsebility to fix it, and it might be an expensive one.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I just bought myself a 2005 Maserati quattroport the warranty has expired on the car and I took it in to some guy that specializes in italian cars (might have been a big mistake not going to maserati/Ferrari)anyways I got a full tune-up on the car, just after 10min of driving the car from the shop, the cars rpm jump to 5000 and blue smoke is coming out of the back ( not little bit a smoke enough to cover the block, kinda like wen some one does a massive burnout) i pull over and the engine turns off by itself, i try starting it again and it starts but only runs for about 5 to 10 sec and the car shut off kinda like if some of the pistons are not running. I any 1 know WTF am i suppose to do plz post. The car only has 47350km on it and i also see some oil leak from the bottom. (also the battery light came on if that is any more help)
Open the hood check if you serpentine belt is still there? sounds like your a/c compressor seized (smoke from the hood) and threw the serpentine belt. Cause alternator not to charge that will expalin your (battery light coming on).

Azzurro Corsa
22025 Avalon Blvd
Carson Ca 90745
Eddie Rodriguez
562-219-9916

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
To me it sounds like he over fill the engine oil, and the engine "locks" itself. The blue smoke is from the oil reaching the top part of the pistons and burns with the fuel. Did you check the oil level?
A lot of mechanics are use to check the oil level with the engine off. With Maserati you supose to check it with the engine at idle speed. That will make a big difference on the level. If you are over filling the engine you can damage it.
If he did that it is his responsebility to fix it, and it might be an expensive one.

thnx for the post i think he did over fill the engine cause some one in this forum had the same problem and he said it was a costly one what kind of damage do you think the car has

·
Registered
192 Posts

thnx for the post i think he did over fill the engine cause some one in this forum had the same problem and he said it was a costly one what kind of damage do you think the car has
Did you look under the hood before reaching your conclusion.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did you look under the hood before reaching your conclusion.
No i didnt i was to busy cursing on the street to even do that and yelling at the tow truck guy maybe i should have done that but there was oil leaking fromthe bottom of the car

·
Registered
192 Posts
No i didnt i was to busy cursing on the street to even do that and yelling at the tow truck guy maybe i should have done that but there was oil leaking fromthe bottom of the car
I have seen your symptoms before (smoke, stalled, than battery light came on) Thats why I asked to check serpentine belt. also to add to the explenation of the oil leak it could be 2 things, they didnt toque the filter or the seal on the filter busted while installing and now leaking.. keep us updated on what you find.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have seen your symptoms before (smoke, stalled, than battery light came on) Thats why I asked to check serpentine belt. also to add to the explenation of the oil leak it could be 2 things, they didnt toque the filter or the seal on the filter busted while installing and now leaking.. keep us updated on what you find.
thnx for your advise i am going to got beat the mechanics head in tommorow to see whats going on with it and it didnt have smoke coming from the hood

·
Registered
793 Posts
The oil level must be checked with engine "fully" warmed and running.

You probably have two quarts too many in that case!

·
Registered
793 Posts
You have to check your manual. Sorry I don't know Maserati volumes.

You will need to have your Air Flow Meters cleaned after this as well as your intakes. They will be covered in oil.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
IF it was an oil overfill... It can be many things.

Regardless, YOU should not have to do anything. Go wreak havoc at the mechanic's.

·
Registered
681 Posts
IF it was an oil overfill... It can be many things.

Regardless, YOU should not have to do anything. Go wreak havoc at the mechanic's.
Would you ask the same mechanic that can not change the oil in a Maserati to fix a major issue?

I would cut my losses for the time being, hire a lawyer and seek reimbursement from the mechanic.

I would not take my car back to said mechanic however....

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I could higher a lawyer and get it fix some were else but that is leaving my car outta commission for at least 4 to 6 months (the court system in my country takes forever) and by then summer will be over and the snow will be back putting the car outta commission for the winter that means i wont be driving this thing for at least another year. My head really hurts from this, just bought this car for the summer but doesn't look like i am driving it this year

·
Registered
681 Posts
I could higher a lawyer and get it fix some were else but that is leaving my car outta commission for at least 4 to 6 months (the court system in my country takes forever) and by then summer will be over and the snow will be back putting the car outta commission for the winter that means i wont be driving this thing for at least another year. My head really hurts from this, just bought this car for the summer but doesn't look like i am driving it this year
It may not be too big of a deal, it might just need to cleaned up. Next time pick your mechanics well, saving a little money here and there often causes a big headache.

I wish you luck and keep us updated.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i agree MVP, i was trying to save a couple bucks but ended being knee deep in shit next time it goes to Ferrari/Maserati dealer and i don't care if they rape me with the bill, anything is better then this. i will just have to wait tomorrow to see what the mech said, i think he will try to bullshit me but we will see

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i just talked the Maserati/Ferrari and told them my story, he said that it is probably an oil overfill, which he says could be very bad or not that bad at all. It all depends he said so i m hoping that the engine needs a quick cleanup and oil drained (keep you posted on progress)

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
i just talked the Maserati/Ferrari and told them my story, he said that it is probably an oil overfill, which he says could be very bad or not that bad at all. It all depends he said so i m hoping that the engine needs a quick cleanup and oil drained (keep you posted on progress)
Don't run the car anymore, just have the dealer come pick it up and take care of it... If it was running and you didn't hear any metal to metal noise or clunking then chances are you might be okay. Just let the dealer have a look and don't move the car. If you get enough oil in the cylinders you can get hydraulic lock, broken rods, all sorts of nasty stuff, blown seals in the engine and in the best case you just got a little extra lubrication for a few miles. If the engine is okay I would have the dealer to the LOF and then go back and get your money back and have the previous guy pay for the dealers work.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Don't run the car anymore, just have the dealer come pick it up and take care of it... If it was running and you didn't hear any metal to metal noise or clunking then chances are you might be okay. Just let the dealer have a look and don't move the car. If you get enough oil in the cylinders you can get hydraulic lock, broken rods, all sorts of nasty stuff, blown seals in the engine and in the best case you just got a little extra lubrication for a few miles. If the engine is okay I would have the dealer to the LOF and then go back and get your money back and have the previous guy pay for the dealers work.
Speaking of blown seals:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxJRSmIBjd4

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts