Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I do not know if anyone has had good luck with this but would love detailed information on how others have hooked up the ipod into the stock sound system without using the denison ice unit. I have read that some had luck hooking into the changer wires and just plugging in the ipod via the headphone jack. Any information that could be provided would be appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Hello all,
I do not know if anyone has had good luck with this but would love detailed information on how others have hooked up the ipod into the stock sound system without using the denison ice unit. I have read that some had luck hooking into the changer wires and just plugging in the ipod via the headphone jack. Any information that could be provided would be appreciated. Thank you.
Dip, you got me confused on this one... :rolleyes: (you know what I mean...)

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hey ed

i am confused as well.
my installer got everything else to work
seriously- but this he cannot figure out how to do?
:confused:

·
Registered
660 Posts
i am confused as well.
my installer got everything else to work
seriously- but this he cannot figure out how to do?
:confused:
Joking? And he cannot hook an IPod?

Can we see some pics of the aftermarket NAV working... curious to the extreme.

·
Registered
660 Posts
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

How's the rest working? What was he able to hook to the NIT?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ill be

stopping by the installer to take pics tomorrow
it works flawlessly.
one button to switch to the nav screen that also runs all my xm features.
stealth blue tooth phone install
stealth k 40 install.
they even got a reverse camera hooked up for me that auto turns on with reverse and that i can manually switch on as i pass people.
cd changer
focal amp
foal k2 power speakers
it is pretty amazing.

·
Registered
660 Posts
stopping by the installer to take pics tomorrow
it works flawlessly.
one button to switch to the nav screen that also runs all my xm features.
stealth blue tooth phone install
stealth k 40 install.
they even got a reverse camera hooked up for me that auto turns on with reverse and that i can manually switch on as i pass people.
cd changer
focal amp
foal k2 power speakers
it is pretty amazing.
External switch or using the SRC or NAV button on the OEM dash?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the garmin

unit is really awesome
it also does xm radio, inegrated xm traffic with alerts and auto alternative direct, xm stocks, xm weather.
i think the difficulty lies in the he wants to do the ipod install as much justice as everything else- i mean he has volume matched all sources, etc...
the problem is that i rfused to go for any sort of fm modulation and if you cut into the changer harness the output of the ipod is low and you have to crank up the unit volume of the head unit which messes with the gps volume, blue tooth volume,etc.....

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
nav button on the unit
but ten i have a "converter/switcher/hub" that i can run multiple signals into- like the back-up camera, tv if i want it - for this i have a separate stealth mounted switch that allows me to switch between sources

·
Registered
660 Posts
unit is really awesome
it also does xm radio, inegrated xm traffic with alerts and auto alternative direct, xm stocks, xm weather.
i think the difficulty lies in the he wants to do the ipod install as much justice as everything else- i mean he has volume matched all sources, etc...
the problem is that i rfused to go for any sort of fm modulation and if you cut into the changer harness the output of the ipod is low and you have to crank up the unit volume of the head unit which messes with the gps volume, blue tooth volume,etc.....
Yeah, I know the Garmin is cool... but again, how you switch the garming on the OEM screen? By an extrenal switch or through the OEM buttonry in the factory display (meaning: you push the NAV button and kicks-in the Garmin on the OEM screen?)

·
Registered
660 Posts
nav button on the unit
but ten i have a "converter/switcher/hub" that i can run multiple signals into- like the back-up camera, tv if i want it - for this i have a separate stealth mounted switch that allows me to switch between sources
Has he used the schematic I sent you? Or for the Garmin that misterious NZ-made interface?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
he is very secretive

about some of the stuff he has done.
when i went to the car today- though it was allworking perfectly there were HUNDREDS of wires and little black boxes and relays, etc..... all over the place.
they assured me that humpty dumpty will all be back together again.
tomorrow the car gets clay bar, wax, teflon ad then there is a guy who is going to paint my grill with som enew crazy expensive paint that apparently mimics chrome.
we will see.
i have been lucky thus far.
so- to answer your question- i do not think he is going to divulge much at all....
he has read the other forum thread with the challenges with amusement.
not that i care- i just wanted to see it all work in my car.
also- just to let you know- i have not seen the bill yet an they have had the car for over a week.
bu he has done ALL he said he would do.

·
Registered
660 Posts
also- just to let you know- i have not seen the bill yet an they have had the car for over a week.
bu he has done ALL he said he would do.
That's the SCARY stuff :D

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
me about it
but i trust him.
he is a good guy and has a great team working for him.
So you have satellite radio fully integrated without FM modulation but you can't figgure out where to tap the audio for an iPod? Sounds fishy! How about the same place the XM audio goes in. Then you could hook another stealth switch next to the LED holes you drilled into your steering column and wire them all back to the mass of relays and wires. You're a brave man Dipak!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
good idea buzz

but the nav has the xm integrated into the unit- there is no separate tap for xm
i may end up using a stealth toggle switch to switch between audio sources.
when it is all done- i will definitely put up pics.
they are trying to put humpty dumpty back together again now by tuesday (i am taking her to the track with ferrari/washington of maserati)
i had them put in tons of dynamat and hushmat and place rubber spaces at the rub points. when all done- she should be as tight as a top.

·
Registered
660 Posts
but the nav has the xm integrated into the unit- there is no separate tap for xm
i may end up using a stealth toggle switch to switch between audio sources.
when it is all done- i will definitely put up pics.
they are trying to put humpty dumpty back together again now by tuesday (i am taking her to the track with ferrari/washington of maserati)
i had them put in tons of dynamat and hushmat and place rubber spaces at the rub points. when all done- she should be as tight as a top.
... Dip, all sounds, how to say... peculiar :rolleyes:

Just to tell you on a tip from your installer : remember my query about activating the NAV on the NIT. Let me quote

in terms of the nav- all the cars come with it
installed and the head unit "capable"
basically, if you get 2 wires and a nav antenna from
maserati and connect them to the head unit, and get
the nav dvd, it apparently "recognizes" that it should
have nav and enables it.....
this is what they told me.

Asked the guy who services my Maser if he had a NAV antenna to lend me, which he had. Little black square thing with GT5 plug. Hooked it to the NIT. Loaded the Navteq CD. Make a guess? NOTHING happened. So if that is their knowledge of the NIT... :D

It is more than the antenna. You need also the FIRMWARE, which DOES NOT come on the Navteq CD (not DVD, the NIT does not home a DVD unit...) Something I knew all the time ;) but given what your wise-man told you, we both thought why not give it a try.

It took me a trip to the garage, but hey, at least I had a couple of pints with my mechanic afterwards :D

And since I had to go to pick a spare wiper blade, it neither was a wasted trip.

Just hope you can make sense of what they have made. You also said you got them to install 2 LEDs on the wheel arches...?

Ed

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ed, i was just

conveying to you what the installer conveyed to me.
That being said, i can neither vouch for nor deny is validity.
He has been very accurate in all that he has said and done thus far and he claims that his contact at maserati told him that this was the fact.....
Sorry you had to make a trip and have a beer to get a wiper blade
;)
I am not having leds put on the wheel arches but small ones placed in the wheel wells of the front seat to provide a little bit more mood lighting to the car as it is so damned dark in there.
the leds are the same as are used on the audi "ambiance" kit
ipod is almost hooked up- there will be a toggle switch that will allow me to switch the source (nav, dvd player, ipod, back-up camera, etc..)
the nice thing about this is that i can turn on the back-up camera to see behind me while driving forward so i can see the looks on all the porsche owners as i blow past them
:cool:
the back-up camera also trips automatically when i put the car in reverse without needing to select it manually.
between the toggle switch, the stealth mounted k40 leds and remote, the garmin/xm remote, the stealth mounted blue tooth adapter, the ipod, the back-up camera, the xm- i feel like i am in an f-15 fighter plane.
pics to follow- i know i keep promising but i want it to all be perfetc first.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts