Maserati Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting close to needing my clutch replaced in my 06 QP. I am ready to get one rebuilt in Kevlar by one of the companies mentioned in a few threads here. Since I don't want to have my car take up a rack at my local shop while I send my clutch in to rebuild, I want to know if anyone has an old clutch core. Since it is something that is usually discarded, I guess it would be someone who has recently gotten a clutch job. A member here offered me one a couple weeks ago, but I have never been able to get back in touch with them. If anyone can help, I am willing to pay $150 for shipping and your troubles.
I am also looking to do same with my F360. My local shop is looking around for an old clutch for it. In case they don't have one, let me know if anyone has one for F360 also.
Another possibility is that I can use your clutch to rebuild and once I get it installed, I can give you back my old clutch core. I appreciate ANY help I can get with this! Thanks!

·
Registered
250 Posts
good idea. Fingers crossed I don't need the clutch done imminently (did I invite trouble by writing that?), but I'm very interested in the kevlar approach.

Getting an old core is clearly key, so perhaps at the very least we should start a campaign to have as many people as possible retain old cores, (need the flywheel too?) to make some "clutch liquidity"

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

I will also make a point to document whole procedure and experience with new clutch after finishing the whole Kevlar resurfacing process, as I'm sure many people would be interested. Especially since it is supposed to last longer than standard clutch for a fraction of price. If anyone has any firsthand experience on either a Maserati or Ferrari with F1 gearbox, please let us know experience and recommendations as all I have heard thus far is positive.

·
Registered
793 Posts
BigA,

Your kevlar installation will be worthless if you do not have the pressure plate resurfaced and rebuilt with stronger springs and have the flywheel resurfaced as well.

This should be a package concept.

Don't waste $'s. Do it right!

See the thread below in this section about Kevlar clutches.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

I did look at specifically your thread which is what convinced me to do it. I understand what you are saying, but I assumed that parts I need to send them are all contained in what is clutch core? Apparently not? What are the parts I need to send in other than clutch core? Is the flywheel that part I'm missing to mention? I assumed that bearings and better springs are installed in rebuild and don't need to be sent in. So in total I need to send in clutch core and flywheel? Also, are all that parts I need to send in all parts that are normally discarded in a normal clutch replacement? I want to do it right so I appreciate the help. I also remember you mention that you were going to have your 360 done also a few months back, did you? Are parts needed for 360 clutch replacement the same as QP for full rebuild?

·
Registered
793 Posts
---What are the parts I need to send in other than clutch core?
They are as follows:

a) the clutch disc itself
b) the pressure plate
c) the flywheel

---Is the flywheel that part I'm missing to mention?
Only one of the three

---I assumed that bearings and better springs are installed in rebuild and don't need to be sent in.
Springs are in the pressure plate and need to be replaced with heavier duty springs.

There are no bearings in any of the 3 above pieces.

---So in total I need to send in clutch core and flywheel?
You need to send the three above-stated parts.

---Also, are all that parts I need to send in all parts that are normally discarded in a normal clutch replacement?
These are the three that must be worked on to get a proper cluch replacement.

---I want to do it right so I appreciate the help. I also remember you mention that you were going to have your 360 done also a few months back, did you? Are parts needed for 360 clutch replacement the same as QP for full rebuild?
The parts content is the same. The actual parts are slightly different.

No time yet to do my 360. It's not pressing. Looks like the Spring.

Also make sure you replace the throwout bearing and the pilot bearing. Check to see if Hill Engineering makes a T/O bearing for your car. Will be a great move to do this.

Also, upon replacement, go easy on that clutch for the first 300-500 miles.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Also make sure you replace the throwout bearing and the pilot bearing. Check to see if Hill Engineering makes a T/O bearing for your car. Will be a great move to do this.

Also, upon replacement, go easy on that clutch for the first 300-500 miles.
These would be seperate parts I would buy and have shipped to me or would they have to be installed in any way during rebuild? Sorry if questions are dumb, I really don't know much about clutches. I had a whinning during takeoff in my QP since I got it a month ago and was pretty sure it was pilot bearing mentioned. The weird thing is that I installed a FD DBW module last week and the whine is completely gone. Not even under hard accelleration. The whine was exactly what people described about pilot bearing. It sounded at first like the car might be peeling out a little, and then I though maybe the tire was rubbing on something. After reading about pilot bearing here, I drove with windows down to hear noise and it would not happen if I took off very slowly, almost feathering accellerator. Don't know why it stopped other than maybe it was clutch related and not pilot bearing and therefore faster engagement of clutch with DBW corrected it? I was luckily able to get every service record on car from FMOAtlanta. The car went in 3 times for an issue where it wouldn't go into reverse within first 4 weeks. The 3rd time it went in, FMOA decided to replace complete gearbox(12k) , which didn't fix it, then they put back original gearbox and replaced complete clutch assembly. This was all done on that 3rd visit when the car had 4k miles. The car was made in Jan 2006, and all this work was done in June 2006. Would the pilot bearing issue alreay known and possibly replaced back in June 2006? or was that issue found later? Consequently, the car came back in a month later for same not going into reverse issue and they replaced reverse shifter. After that, there were no other issues and only brought in for 6k and 18.5k service in remaining 2 years.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Also,I want to clarify about the 3 parts you mentioned i will need for clutch rebuild. All 3 used parts will be available from someone that just had their clutch replaced? In other words, the person buys these 3 parts new for clutch replacement and I will be able to get all 3 from someone who saved their discard parts from a clutch replacement?

·
Registered
793 Posts
BigA

I am getting the feeling you may not be very knowledgeable about this process.

You would be best to find a good independent Mas. mechanic in your area and have him handle everything.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

I do have a great independent shop that I already spoke to about doing clutch in near future. They are currently doing tune up and upgrading brake lines to steel braided lines from FD right now. You are right in saying that I am not very knowledgeable, which is why I am on this board asking questions. I am just trying to get all the parts I need ready. Since I want to have all parts beforehand so I don't have car sitting on rack while clutch is rebuilt, I'm trying to get parts beforehand. I know I need a clutch disc, flywheel, and pressure plate to send in for rebuild. I mistakingly thought that these 3 parts were called a clutch core altogether, but it seems not. I still need clarification of the facts of the process.

A) Are the clutch disc, flywheel and pressure plate the ONLY 3 things I send in to HR Clutches to have them rebuild me a new clutch with the heavier duty spring in pressure plate?

B) Can I get all 3 parts used from someone who has had their clutch replaced or do they reuse any of these parts in a clutch replacement?

C) Does anyone have these used parts they will sell me?

THANKS FOR INFO!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Also, my independent shop doesn't have used clutch pieces for my Quattroporte, but might have one for my 360 and is currently searching. This is reason I started this thread to try to find clutch parts I need for a rebuild.

·
Registered
793 Posts
---
A) Are the clutch disc, flywheel and pressure plate the ONLY 3 things I send in to HR Clutches to have them rebuild me a new clutch with the heavier duty spring in pressure plate?
Yes these are the only 3 items needing rebuild. They will do a fabulous job on these. make sure you indicate to them that its the F1/DuoSelect tranny setup.

---
B) Can I get all 3 parts used from someone who has had their clutch replaced or do they reuse any of these parts in a clutch replacement?
I doubt anyone has rebuilt parts on hand. HR can do the work in about 2 days. So the turnaround time is short. Don't rush them, however.

---
C) Does anyone have these used parts they will sell me?
I can't answer that but B) above should give you some idea.

I am pleased to hear that you have a good independent mechanic.

Make sure they replace the pilot bearing and the T/O bearing!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
GCalo, thank you so much for all your info. By the number of views on this thread and the other Kevlar clutch rebuild threads, there is a ton of interest in this process. I know you mentioned nobody probably has these parts on hand, but if someone out there is about to have their clutch replaced, will they have all 3 parts if I ask them to save them ahead of time? (ie. neither the clutch disk, flywheel, nor pressure plate are reused in clutch replacement?)

Who do you recommend to do resurfacing since I am in New Orleans? I was thinking HR Clutches (www.hrclutches.com).

·
Registered
793 Posts
The flywheel is always the iffy part.

Ferrari and Maserati use small flywheels to keep the rotating mass down. There is not a great deal of "meat" on them.

You never know the condition of your flywheel until it comes out and gets checked. It could be it's toast and can't be resurfaced. It's a crap shoot.

I am sure someone has OEM cores they could make available to you but then who knows if those cores are equal to or better than what you have.

It's worth a try though.

HR would be the closest to you and I know they do very good work.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Still trying to get this clarified, so I'll ask a different way.
When you get your clutch replaced in your Maserati or Ferrari, do they REPLACE pressure plate, clutch disk, and flywheel? Please answer "Yes" or "No".

Am I correct in assuming you think that it is best to have my own clutch out of my car resurfaced instead of trying to get a used one ahead of time?

What do you mean that you don't know if the core I get from someone else is worse or not as good as the one in my car? If I am going to have it resurfaced in Kevlar, what difference does it make its starting condition before resurfacing.

Should I buy a new flywheel and then try to find just pressure plat and clutch disk?

Finally, what is a clutch core? pres plate, clutch disk, and fywheel all assembled, or just one of those parts?

Sorry for all the questions, but I think this covers the last little bit I'm not 100% sure about.

·
Registered
793 Posts
One last time-

When you get your clutch replaced in your Maserati or Ferrari, do they REPLACE pressure plate, clutch disk, and flywheel? Please answer "Yes" or "No".
This is not a yes/no answer. You don't know what has to be replaced until the assembly is removed.

---Am I correct in assuming you think that it is best to have my own clutch out of my car resurfaced instead of trying to get a used one ahead of time?
Only because you know the status of yours when it comes out. You do not know that of another.

---What do you mean that you don't know if the core I get from someone else is worse or not as good as the one in my car?
How would you know? Have you ever seen clutch parts upon removal?

---If I am going to have it resurfaced in Kevlar, what difference does it make its starting condition before resurfacing.
If the core is damaged, overheaded, or overstressed, the recorer may refuse to work with it.

---Should I buy a new flywheel and then try to find just pressure plat and clutch disk?
How do you know you need a new flywheel until it is removed and assessed? You could buy another but you may not like the price even for a used one.

---Finally, what is a clutch core? pres plate, clutch disk, and fywheel all assembled, or just one of those parts?
I stated there are three separate pieces. How could they be assembled? The clutch core is the clutch disc that comes out of your car.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
A ton of thanks GCalo for all the time you spent answering my questions! I was even getting aggravated with all the questions, and I was the one asking them! :D Anyway, I know some questions were may be were repetative, but I wanted to make sure I got it 100%! Hopefully this was helpful to other members also!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Good basic overview found below:
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/dual-clutch-transmission.htm

On a side note, while at Mas dealer yesterday (Tampa ) I spoke to the tech about the clutch upgrade. The dealer will remove the clutch, pressure plate and flywheel (checking via stepped micrometer) and send out all three to be resurfaced/upgraded. They welcome the opportunity to do one of these and are only charging the basic labor charges + Shipping.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Not a problem.

I was getting concerned that you were going to attempt this yourself. I certainly would not discourage that if you were mechanically inclined and experienced.

I tried to define what to expect because there are so many variables when you pull a clutch out. Pressure plate can have broken fingers, clutch disc can be warped, and flywheel may be so worn that it cannot be resurfaced.

Let us know how you do.

·
Registered
793 Posts
--- The dealer will remove the clutch, pressure plate and flywheel (checking via stepped micrometer) and send out all three to be resurfaced/upgraded. ---
Sent where and redone how and with what materials?

This you need to know.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts