Maserati Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Gransport LE
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was just inside the fuse box area under the pass floor. Noticed an oil leak "drooling" down from the area behind the glovebox and was seeping down into the fuse box area Light tan colored oil -sort of vegetable oil color and consistency - I think but not sure its coming from the 2 aluminum tubes that com through the right side of the firewall in that area. Not sure what these are (AC cooling system ?) There wasn't alot but enough where I need to find the source and fix.

Thoughts on what it is ?

·
Registered
2006 Gransport LE
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
alu tubes.. probs aircon.. does it still work?
Yes, no problems although I did notice a slight drop in the A/C performance at the end of the summer. What fluid is actually running through the A/C tubes ? Is it refrigerant ? and is the refrigerant actually an oil ? I always assumed that the refrigerant running through the A/C was a gas, not an oil ??

·
Registered
35 Posts
The AC has PEG oil along with the 134-A. If the oil is there, the AC should blow hot air as the compression is not there. On a side note - I believe ( Someone check me on this one ) that is also where the expansion valve is (behind the box). These can clog if the AC has ever been serviced by a dirty LOW side connector.

The dealer ( I say that due to the cost of repairs ) can add a UV dye to the mix ( only $5 at auto parts store ) and let the system run for 10+min. The neon colored dye will become evident almost instantly if that is PEG oil.

·
Registered
2006 Gransport LE
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The AC has PEG oil along with the 134-A. If the oil is there, the AC should blow hot air as the compression is not there. On a side note - I believe ( Someone check me on this one ) that is also where the expansion valve is (behind the box). These can clog if the AC has ever been serviced by a dirty LOW side connector.

The dealer ( I say that due to the cost of repairs ) can add a UV dye to the mix ( only $5 at auto parts store ) and let the system run for 10+min. The neon colored dye will become evident almost instantly if that is PEG oil.
Thanks. I think the leak is small as there is not a lot of oil and the A/C works fine - although a minor drop in performance at the end of the summer. I'm going to take a look at the valve and see if I can get some dye and try out your suggestion. Will report back.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Thanks. I think the leak is small as there is not a lot of oil and the A/C works fine - although a minor drop in performance at the end of the summer. I'm going to take a look at the valve and see if I can get some dye and try out your suggestion. Will report back.

Kent posted about this a few days ago in the coolant thread... He named this exact problem... Said you could replace the o-rings or something of that sort...

·
Registered
2006 Gransport LE
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Kent posted about this a few days ago in the coolant thread... He named this exact problem... Said you could replace the o-rings or something of that sort...
Just found it - thanks

·
Registered
141 Posts
Randy, It sounds like the A/C expansion valve is leaking from the oil o-rings.
This is VERY common, it's pretty straight forward, recover the R-134a freon and remove the expansion valve, replace the o-rings and reinstall. Recharge the A/C system and you are done. Shoot me a PM for more detailed info.
Talk to you later.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts