Maserati Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, need some advice from experts here. I like the older maserati models like the 3.2GTA (boomerang rear light), or even the earlier model grandsports/cambiocorsa.

However, i heard the maintenance for these cars are really really expensive? Appreciate if anyone can advice a ballpark figure for routine servicing and major service? And ballpark cost for regular parts such as brake pads, timing belt/chain, air filter, etc.

And how reliable are these older models 2000 - 2005? I only drive 7 mins to work and back daily, so not really gonna run long distance with it, would these old models be a visit to garage every 1-2 months kinda thing or reliable like once a year?

Advice/ help appreciated.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Sorry that nobody replied sooner.

Where are you based? That will surely make a difference.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Hi there. I'll do my best to convince you into Maserati ownership :D

The impression I get from being on a couple Maserati Forums since 2009 is that the 3200's (the boomerang brake light models) are a lot of work, they have turbos (that can fail or need to be rebuilt over time) and also were the first generation of what later became the 4200, and finally the GranSport.

As you probably have seen on Dubizzle, the 3200's rarely come up for sale and when they do, they are well below AED 100k, however, I'll bet that they have costed their previous owners a fortune. Now that they are not worth much, their owners may have compromised in where/how/when they service. Also, given that they are fairly old now, spare parts will be a challenge to source and again Italian electrics, turbos, etc...you are asking for trouble if this will be a daily driver. Most if not all 3200s in the UAE were Automatics.

Ok, now that I have said the bad, I'll now try to convince you that it's not such a bad idea to own a 4200 or GranSport in Dubai, BUT and that's a big BUT, you need to make sure the car you are buying is a sorted car with good history. I don't know your budget, but looking on Dubizzle it seems that the 4200s are being sold around AED 120k and the GranSports between AED 150 - 180k. Naturally, if your budget allows, go for the GranSport as this was the final iteration of the 3200 / 4200, most of the problem areas were solved (electrics, F1 pumps, potentionmeters, etc), and they came with uprated intake manifolds and exhaust that brought the power up to 400bhp vs. 390bhp for the 4200. There are a couple Coupe and Spyder GTs (the manual gearbox version), otherwise most are CambioCorsas (F1 auto manual transmissions) which require some learning to fully enjoy and to preserve the life of the clutch (basically, keep your foot planted on the gas when making upshifts and when launching from stop to reduce clutch wear...doesn't sound intuitive but this what the car's manual prescribes...also, avoid driving in the "auto" mode and driving uphill in reverse, unless you have a clutch death wish). You can also purchase Formula Dynamics drive by wire enhancement module, which speeds up the clutch engagement and reduces clutch wear (a must do in my opinion).

One of our members on here was trying to sell his black GranSport, not sure if it is still available but he tells me it's been babied. These pics don't lie:

http://www.maseratilife.com/forums/middle-east/14352-sad-news-i-must.html

I also saw that the Red GranSport Convertible (I am highly certain it is the only convertible GranSport in the UAE) is back on Dubizzle with what sounds like a fresh service for AED 155k.

Dubizzle.com | Spyder: MASERATI GRANSPORT CONVERTIBLE - AED 155,000

The GranSport only came with the F1 transmission, but also a more sporting interior with carbon fiber and exterior with ground effects and 19" wheels.

In terms of servicing these cars, you obviously have the main dealer, who knows them in/out, but you will pay a small fortune, which is why I suspect most ppl in the area shy away from Maserati ownership. The good news is that there are options now.

As I have posted in the Middle East forum before, if you want to do routine basic service there is Max Garage in Al Quoz (near Mall of the Emirates). Their labor rates are low and they are quite skilled mechanically speaking and they have seen their fair share of Italian cars. That said, their space is cramped and dusty. But a typical service (oil, fliters, etc) there will cost you around AED 2k. The problem with Max is that they do not have the diagnostic tools to do more complicated jobs like clutch adjustments. For that, you need to go back to the dealer or Alex Renner Motors (ARM). I take my car to ARM. They are not cheap, but they have a dedicated Ferrari / Maserati garage with all the necessary tools. They are very professional and have built a stellar reputation in town for their Porsche service, and are now doing a lot of work on second hand Ferraris and Maseratis. The tech there is a Ferrari / Maserati pro. I would call them to get some quotes on typical service and more major ones.

Feel free to drop me a private message if you have more questions or would like to discuss offline.

Best,

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks JP for the thorough feedback.

I like the grandsports but i feel its too much money for and old car, plus maintenance will be expensive generally. Likewise with the 3200gt maintenance, but considering the purchase price to be low, it was a consideration. One was selling for dhs 50k for a good condition but i missed it.

However, i think if i were to buy a maserati, it will probably the more subdued one, which is the quattroporte,
Which im assuming will be slightly cheaper in maintenance and less complicated, plus more reliable???

I met a person with a grandsport the other day, asked him what is service charges like, and he said 8k at al tayer! Now thats too much for me.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Hi Ruzz. I can assure you that the QPs selling for 120k on Dubizzle will need some work. I have heard of AED20-50k bills on QPs. It comes down to how sorted the car was when you bought it.

Spend some time on the QP section of the forum and understand the weak points of the car and how to maintain them and avoid surprises.

I know the prices of older duo select QPs in Dubai look tempting, but if they are being sold cheap it's probably because they need an expensive service or repair(s) that are rarely if ever advertised.

There are several, so take your time and ALWAYS do a pre purchase inspection by the dealer or ARM who have the proper equipment to diagnose.

Hope this helps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.