Maserati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I am considering buying an 02 Spyder. A dealership near me has an 02 Spyder Cambiocorsa Convertible with 10k miles. It has xenons, nav, and the 5sp. paddle shifters.

It's advertised for $46,800.

How does that price sound? Is there anything I should be aware of (common problems, etc.) when looking into this car? Is it even worth getting? My latest car is a new Audi S4...I had a C06 Vette and an M Roadster prior to that...so I am definitely into the sporty cars, but want to make sure this would be a good fit for me!

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks again.
DB

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
FYI, it's a 6 speed, not a 5 speed. The NAV system is pretty much useless, so I wouldn't value it. The rest of the car is great, though. ;-)

Take it for a drive, feel how it shifts in Sport mode - do you feel any slippage?, feel how it handles at speed (80 or so) - any vibration? And, of course, look under the car (front and rear) and under the hood for any signs fluid leaks. Also, get a comprehensive service history on it, and let us know what you find (what was replaced). At 10K miles, you might also be looking at a new set of tires (probably in the rear), depending on how it was driven and so on.

Overall, I think you should probably be able to get them down to $40K even. Budget for about $2K a year in service costs, just to be safe, and factor all that into your planning.

Worth every penny!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much for the prompt info!

The site said 5 speed; so I was going off of that. I stand corrected:D

I will definitely look into the things you mentioned! Thanks again, and looking forward to joining the community here.

Cheers
DB

·
Registered
329 Posts
Do you mean a Z06??? Corvette. Depending on the year Corvette you owned the HP difference between the Maser and the Vette is nominal. Although the Maser will "feel" faster (and is faster), especially as it reaches the higher revs. i don't drive German cars, so I cant speak to the differences there.
Maint. cost, if you have a CC in the Maser migh be a bit higher than the $2K per year depending on how you treat the car. Specifically talking to clutch life, and maybe a possible hi-pressure pump replacement on the CC.
If you want to get closer to the reliability of the "chevy" - I would recommend looking for a GT (6-speed stick). Either way, the Maser is great fun to drive.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info!

It was a C6 Z06...sorry for the confusion. Brain jumbled as I was typing earlier.

I'm looking forward to getting out there and test driving this beast tomorrow. I'll see how much I can negotiate these guys down.

Also - do you guys recommend getting any sort of maintenance plan/extended warranty on it at this stage?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts