Maserati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, let me thank you all in advance for any advice and or help as I have no clue with what I am doing with regards to trying to sell my car.
I have a 08 Executive GT with 60k miles. The passenger side door window has come off the track and when I took it to the dealership they were no help in anyway.
They insisted that the issue was the window motor and said it would cost around $800 for a replacement and the labor would be 3 or more hours. Needless to say,
the estimated cost was around $1,500. This same Maserati dealership couldn't seem to find the tapping noise that comes from the front driver side tire area when going over large bumps or potholes at speed. My friend took it for a drive and believes it is the shock absorber but could not tell me definitively since he is a race car mechanic for american muscle cars, not foreign exotics. I took the car back to the dealership and once again they could not find the problem then quickly charged me for the inspection and sent me on my way. Needless to say, they are no help, and the next closest dealership is on the other side of the state about 3 hours away. I then decided that the best course of action would be to sell my beloved qp, aside from dealerships offering me between 9 and 11k I don't know what I should be trying to sell it for. I posted it on a couple of car selling sites to which all of the people that have responded have been trying to get me to sell for about 15k or just trying to run a cashier check scam. The car itself, aside from the two problems mentioned is in immaculate shape and still has all of her power and quickness. My question is this, am I being unreasonable in thinking I should be getting more than the 9 to 15k for my car? If anyone could please help me I would truly appreciate it.

Ethan

Attachments

·
Registered
197 Posts
So having had a "high mileage" Maserati myself, I feel your pain. Mine had 70k miles and people thought it was the plague. I'm sorry to tell you but it's not going to be easy selling a high mileage Maserati.

The market for them is fairly small and those that cross over from other brands think it's going to explode but they're actually fairly reliable. I haven't checked Quattroporte pricing in about 3-4 months but the offers you're getting seem pretty consistent with prices I saw.

Either way, best of luck with it. If you're mechanically inclined, fix the windows yourself as that can help with the price a bit.

·
Premium Member
865 Posts
To get more for this car, I think it has to be described fully to an audience that is already familiar with the car. Potential buyers would want to know every detail about its service & repair history. You might want to sweeten the deal by offering to cover up to $X of the cost of a PPI done by a party selected by a prospective buyer, if you know the car to be in good condition other than the two items you mention. I do see this model at auction that bring more than the amount you mention.

That said, I think those 2 symptoms are insufficient reason by themselves to consider selling, if you are otherwise pleased with driving it. IMHO, you won’t find many other cars that offer that degree of driving pleasure for that price point. Your nearby dealer apparently does not want to work on a car as old as yours. Dealers have numerous reasons for their policies, mostly having to do with costs to keep staff properly trained on what they service. But fear not: the 2 items you mention are most likely repairable by a competent independent repair shop. It’s impossible to fully diagnose over the internet, but I can offer these considerations.

Window regulators are known weak points in this model. This forum has detailed instructions for removing door panels to expose the regulator. Cables slip off tracks or guide brackets fail are the main culprits. These repairs at a dealer shop (including a new regulator) cost me about half what you were quoted.

There is nothing exotic about your car’s suspension. Any decent repair or alignment shop can diagnose & replace the components of a double wishbone setup. The upper control arm bushings seem to be the weakest point in the design. Mine had to be replaced at 30K miles. Your symptoms sound similar, but checking exactly which components are troublesome is straightforward for a suspension tech.

You will find that there are many components for your car that are common for many cars. Those can be handled by well trained, possibly certified, independent technicians. Maybe some members on this forum could offer you a name or two in your neck of the woods.

Good Luck,
KTBD

·
Registered
803 Posts
There are plenty of indy mechanics that fix your problems. You don't need the dealer for either. I would fix both through them. Whether you keep it or not after that is another story, but you'll never get what you should with those two issues. Is the Greensboro dealer giving you the run around?

·
Registered
562 Posts
To get more for this car, I think it has to be described fully to an audience that is already familiar with the car. Potential buyers would want to know every detail about its service & repair history. You might want to sweeten the deal by offering to cover up to $X of the cost of a PPI done by a party selected by a prospective buyer, if you know the car to be in good condition other than the two items you mention. I do see this model at auction that bring more than the amount you mention.

That said, I think those 2 symptoms are insufficient reason by themselves to consider selling, if you are otherwise pleased with driving it. IMHO, you won’t find many other cars that offer that degree of driving pleasure for that price point. Your nearby dealer apparently does not want to work on a car as old as yours. Dealers have numerous reasons for their policies, mostly having to do with costs to keep staff properly trained on what they service. But fear not: the 2 items you mention are most likely repairable by a competent independent repair shop. It’s impossible to fully diagnose over the internet, but I can offer these considerations.

Window regulators are known weak points in this model. This forum has detailed instructions for removing door panels to expose the regulator. Cables slip off tracks or guide brackets fail are the main culprits. These repairs at a dealer shop (including a new regulator) cost me about half what you were quoted.

There is nothing exotic about your car’s suspension. Any decent repair or alignment shop can diagnose & replace the components of a double wishbone setup. The upper control arm bushings seem to be the weakest point in the design. Mine had to be replaced at 30K miles. Your symptoms sound similar, but checking exactly which components are troublesome is straightforward for a suspension tech.

You will find that there are many components for your car that are common for many cars. Those can be handled by well trained, possibly certified, independent technicians. Maybe some members on this forum could offer you a name or two in your neck of the woods.

Good Luck,
KTBD
I would echo what KTBD said, nothing special with your suspension. Another item to take a look at is the sway bar links. I had a very similar issue on my GranTurismo and it was as simple as the sway bar links. Bought new OEM on ebay for $120 and took about 20 minutes to replace. Basically 2 bolts. Also to consider, at 20K for such a gorgeous car, I really don't think someone is that interested in a PPI for $5-600. Most people don't even consider Maserati because they automatically don't think they can afford them. They need to see it. I've always been amazed that you can get such a beauty for such a cheap price. Good luck.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I just sold my 07 QP Executive 68k miles for 11k through auction...... QP is not a car that holds value. If I were you I will let go for 15k. It is very good price tho... It sounds less and unreasonable, but for this car yea... Thats what people willing to pay.....

My friend told me a 2014 QP is only about 35k with 20-30k miles. I did not believe it until I saw from autotrader.... Such a joke...... A 120k MSRP car only selling 35k after 3-4 years....

Good Luck

·
Registered
803 Posts
My friend told me a 2014 QP is only about 35k with 20-30k miles. I did not believe it until I saw from autotrader.... Such a joke...... A 120k MSRP car only selling 35k after 3-4 years....
This car is high on my list to replace our Jaguar XE once the lease ends. Too good of a deal!

·
Registered
208 Posts
If you don't care for the car, sell it for whatever your offered and call it a day. Fixing the issues in the hopes to get more cash will prove counter intuitive as the parts and labor will simply eat up your markup. Take the low ball offer from a shop or trade it in to cover a down payment and taxes on a new car. Your not going to get anything near your ask, honestly don't stress yourself over it. Sell it and move on. IMO

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
7 Participants
socal4porte
Maserati Forum
We’re a forum to discuss the Maserati Coupé, Spyder, GranTurismo, Ghibli, Quattroporte and more!
Full Forum Listing