Maserati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sold my E55-

so i have my dream QP (daily whip) . . . and
the wifey has her dream hybrid (lexus RX)
the kids have the pleasure of me driving them in the tricked out Denali...
when it rains I'll take out the X5 4.8 (not often)

one spot has opened up in the garage (we keep the Denali and the X5 outside).. my budget is significant
i looked at coupes all weekened . . . (M6 , Vantage, Bentley GT)
they all remind me of electric razors, stock they are too boring.
boy is that new CL fuggly !!!!

i am leaning toward the Vantage but i was told they get a paddle shift option in the 2nd quarter of 07 - - - i need something now.

this is what i would do with it w/ the iForged or HRE wheels:

DRIVE SAFE !!!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
What about a Scaglietti? Too close to the QP?

Alternatively, you could go for a true classic - nothing fresh from the factory or the showroom. Just troll the PB Concours d'Elegance winners for a shopping list..

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
V8 Vantage would be nice. i have been on the list for a V8 Roadster now...
i have little concerns of initial build quality, etc etc of the V8. I do have concern about their product planning, especially now that the company is going to change owners. Not sure when they will introduce a V8 Vantage S or RS and makes your purchase the economy model of the family.

a safer choice, if anything from the Aston Martin line, perhaps the DBS would be something that fits your significant budget. i think it is limited to 300 units.

·
Registered
909 Posts
The Gallardo's are ok. They are exactly what they "say" they are. They are rough, mean, long legged sports cars. The gears are really long - I think second gear goes upwards of 70mph. They are terrible for visibility. They scream for attention. They are all wheel drive.

It's a Volkswagen.

Personally, I liked driving the manual, the E-gear was OK, but I think our\Ferrari's flappy paddles are better. If you want a car that screams look at me look at me look at me every time you're out, the Gallardo is the car.

I recently drove an Aston DB9 convert, and that was a nice car. Its got a nice rumble to it, the transmission is definitely an automatic, but its one of the best paddle shifted autos I've driven in a while. Probably the closest to a manual as I've ever felt - except that it starts rolling away as soon as you get off the brake. I did find that the throttle was very touchy from a stop. I also found that doing 120mph plus was scary easy, but the car felt right at home at triple digits.

The DB9's Road feel is a bit more isolated than the Gallardo, probably right in the middle, except that the Gallardo being all wheel drive has some pretty interesting feelings during transitions and at lower speed.

If you want a bombastic car go for the Gallardo.
If you want something a bit more refined, go towards the Aston. I haven't driven the Vantage, but I imagine its not too much different than the DB9.

Then there's that red head 575. I don't think you could go wrong there.

- Mark

PS. I think that R8 is gonna be pretty hot, but I don't think its gonna be *that* fast. I guess its subjective at this point, and I've gotten kind of immune to the power and speed, but other than the hype I don't think its gonna be that cool.

If you want a nuts-fast car that feels like a racecar, find yourself a 911 GT2 with the ceramic brakes. A bit of a sleeper and still one of my top 5 cars ever driven.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
saw a 599 (silver, yellow brakes) at the dealer today.
wtf? i thought they werent out til next summer?

i'm getting one of those.

·
Registered
192 Posts
The 599 may be making its intro tour. I know that there is an unveil party at the Italian Embassy in DC on the 19th (need to double check the date).

If you need something now, the 599 probably won't be it. I know the waiting list is long-- yes, that can be fixed for good customers. Anyway, customer delivery probably isn't until summer then add a month for a 3 mile consignment car to be available at + 15%.

-dsd

·
Registered
530 Posts
FMSF had two in the shop over Monterey Week. Helps to be owned by Ferrari.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts