Maserati Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings, Just went to view a nice Ghibli today. It's the only one that's close to where I live and the dealers seem pretty cool.

Had a test drive, all seems well. Considering buying but this is my first big car purchase and I want to make sure I've got everything covered.

Main issue is that they only just got the car in. We can see the service history but other than that, it's a mystery car as they haven't really inspected it. I have two choices as I see it: get an independent inspection done, or just walk away until I find a seller that knows something about the car. The guy said if the inspection flags anything, they'd likely just fix it before selling.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
Gran Turismo Sport 2014
52 Posts
Greetings, Just went to view a nice Ghibli today. It's the only one that's close to where I live and the dealers seem pretty cool.

Had a test drive, all seems well. Considering buying but this is my first big car purchase and I want to make sure I've got everything covered.

Main issue is that they only just got the car in. We can see the service history but other than that, it's a mystery car as they haven't really inspected it. I have two choices as I see it: get an independent inspection done, or just walk away until I find a seller that knows something about the car. The guy said if the inspection flags anything, they'd likely just fix it before selling.

Thoughts?

I think that you are in an advantageous position here, it is a buyers market, which suits you just fine. The nearest Maserati dealer may offer you an inspection service at a premium. I would take that premium, they will provide with financial leverage to secure a great deal. How old is the battery, running diagnostics with a the factory Leonardo system, checking the suspension and tire wear for tracking issues, picking up possible body and mechanical repairs will give you peace of mind and place you in an advantageous position. Try to be as patient as a carp, look the bait over before you strike to make sure there are no hooks in it. The dealer may offer an extended warranty on engine, drive train etc, my experience is that the ones that are comprehensive are ridiculously expensive on these cars and those that are affordable are not worth the paper they are printed on. Look that offer over carefully.
If you can provide year and mileage the forum should be able to share those niggles and issues that occur on the car. Best of luck in your adventure.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think that you are in an advantageous position here, it is a buyers market, which suits you just fine. The nearest Maserati dealer may offer you an inspection service at a premium. I would take that premium, they will provide with financial leverage to secure a great deal. How old is the battery, running diagnostics with a the factory Leonardo system, checking the suspension and tire wear for tracking issues, picking up possible body and mechanical repairs will give you peace of mind and place you in an advantageous position. Try to be as patient as a carp, look the bait over before you strike to make sure there are no hooks in it. The dealer may offer an extended warranty on engine, drive train etc, my experience is that the ones that are comprehensive are ridiculously expensive on these cars and those that are affordable are not worth the paper they are printed on. Look that offer over carefully.
If you can provide year and mileage the forum should be able to share those niggles and issues that occur on the car. Best of luck in your adventure.
Thanks for the advice. Well the nearest Maserati dealer is almost 100 miles form where the car is. Would likely have to just get a local one done. It's really hard to be patient when the next nearest Ghibli is so much further away than this one, which is practically on my doorstep :p

1 - 7 of 7 Posts