Maserati Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how the Navigation system (on the 4200) calculates time to destination? It doesn't seem to use the current average speed.

Also, are there any CD updates for the system?

Another thing I noticed this morning was the temp gauge (under the gear number) was at 35 deg F and a little snowflake symbol was blinking next to it. There was also a faint beep periodically. Is this the car telling me it's cold outside?

Thanks,
Marc

·
Registered
22 Posts
The Nav system is monumentally stupid in calculating Time to Destination - I too have wondered what on earth it bases its estimates on and assume it is something along the lines of average speed over the last few hundred miles or last few days rather than actual average speed over last 15-20 minutes. For obvious reasons actual speed cannot be used. The Porsche Nav system on the other hand always was very accurate in that I used to find that within a few minutes of starting a long journey the arrival time was calculated and was always within 5-10 minutes of the actual arrival time.

Dont know about updates being available although updates for the Maps are available at modest cost.

The beeping sound is the low temp / possible ice warning. Quite normal if a little too subtle.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I figured out the ice warning. I suppose it might be handy if you're not paying attention.

My theory is that the nav system is using road speed limits or some sort of typical road speed to calculate the time to destination. It seems independent of whatever speed or average speed I'm doing. IMHO, the whole navigation/stereo system could use a lot of improvement.

This is one area that the Germans are better at.

Marc

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
3 Participants
maserati of minneapolis
Maserati Forum
We’re a forum to discuss the Maserati Coupé, Spyder, GranTurismo, Ghibli, Quattroporte and more!
Full Forum Listing