Maserati Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hoping someone out there can help as dealer and mechanic seem stumped. Got my 2003 CC a couple of months ago and trying to get the navigation to work. The CD was pretty scratched up so I found a brand new one on eBay just to rule that out as an issue. All I get on the navigation screen is the arrow in the middle of the screen, but no chart. On the GPS screen it tells me I am picking up "0" satellites and the coordinates are random numbers. Any ideas on how to get the system to pick up the satellite signals as I assume as soon as I can figure this out the chart should kick in as well? Thanks in advance for any suggestions! :confused:

·
Registered
635 Posts
Several folks have had this issue. Seems a few of the cars left the factory with the navigation system "installed", but they forgot to install the GPS antenna. That is located under the big air vent in the top center of the dash. One sure fire way to tell if you have NAV installed, is check the little radar dish on the display, if its gray, No antenna. If its Green, the antenna is installed and working.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
My GS is different, it uses an OEM Becker unit, similar to the ones installed by Ferrari.

Two questions:

1) Is the GPS antenna the same one used for the GSM phone?

2) Is it located under the big air vent like in the Coupe?

PS:
while i get perfect radio reception, i don't get a signal on the GSM phone, it kinda comes and goes for no apparent reason (in the same spot it may get full signal while a few days later it gets no network coverage). It could be a similar problem.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, seems that I have no antenna. I am going to find one and see if I can get this to work. I assume my car was one of the cars shipped with the navigation activated and discs, but no antenna. I will get back if I can get this to work.

·
Registered
635 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Gransport LE
662 Posts
Well, seems that I have no antenna. I am going to find one and see if I can get this to work. I assume my car was one of the cars shipped with the navigation activated and discs, but no antenna. I will get back if I can get this to work.

I assume you confirmed that you have no antenna by checking under the dashboard a/c vent ? That's were it goes and then just run the wire down and push up under the tunnel. It plugs into the right side of the back of the NIC under the arm rest - it comes off with a few small screws.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes, thanks to all the help so far I checked under the dashboard vent and nothing there. Will be interesting to see if I can actually manage to run the wire from there under the tunnel - any tips? Anyway, have antenna on order with correct connector (thanks again) and should be here in a week or two. This site and the generous amount of advise is invaluable!!! Hope I can reciprocate as I get to know the car better. Cheers!

·
Registered
635 Posts
It was very easy to run the cable. Once you remove the vent screen, you can either double back tape the antenna in there, or you can actually purchase the Maserati GPS antenna mount plate (its made of metal and screws right into place), and the GPS antenna (which has a magnet on the base), holds right onto the plate. The plate part number is: 382300605 (I think I paid like $12.00 for mine at the dealer).

The GPS Antenna cable is nice and long. So, I just fished it down and tucked it up under the console all the way to the back air vents and then pulled it up to the NIT unit under the arm rest, plugged it in, and presto! Green Icon on the screen, and it found like 7-8 satellites.

Now the bad news... as you've probably read on this forum, the Maserati GPS sucks big time. So, I end up using my LG Dare phone with GPS! Hahahaha... it has real time traffic updates, the maps are constantly updated, etc. Maserati has not issued a new Map CD for our cars since 2003.

Good Luck!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
As an alternative, i know its possible to upgrade the OEM (Becker) unit on the GS with one of the latest Becker units, which include the latest maps, bluetooth and other goodies. They are the ones installed in newer ferraries.

I'm not sure if thats possible in the 3200/4200 with the big LCD screen.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Good point, but the CC is Blaupunkt based - at least the CD changer is Blaupunkt. Besides not looking to spend a fortune. I know that the nav pretty much sucks so more just to have in case I get totally lost + I hate having gadgets and buttons in the car that don't work - just one of those personal hang-ups I guess..... Now - how to rig the telephone to work.....well, maybe I should quit while I am ahead.:)

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Success! "Just" plugged antenna in and got signal, albeit not instantly so be patient. Got the antenna on e-bay with the correst plug ;) as suggested for under $15 shipped. Plugging it in is a little bit of a shore. The tray under the armrest has four screws (two under the rubber mat). Once you get the tray out it is hard to visualize the back of the unit as the armrest is in the way. You will see a little grey box sticking out on the top of the back of the unit on the passenger side. The plug is inserted parallel to the unit with the clip down into the side of the little box.

To verify if your navigation is activated hit the nav button and if it does not say something to the effect that the option is not available chances are you can also get it to work. Hope this is helpful. Cheers!

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
You're wasting your time...

Don't waste another second on trying to make the P.O.S. navigation system functional on your 2003 Coupe. Mine is garbage. First of all, the road and POI database is hopelessly out of date. Second, you need to search by *township*, not city/town name. Ridiculously useless. I HIGHLY recommend picking up a Garmin Nuvi instead. The prices right now are insanely cheap. Better GPS by far, more up-to-date, and even adds Bluetooth handsfree dialing to your Coupe!!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts