Maserati Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My West Coast navigation CD was scratched when I bought the car and occasionally gives a "read error". I've tried doing a disc copy but the scratch stops it working successfully.

Does anyone have a CD they would be willing to copy and mail to me? I'll pay (through paypal?) of course.

dave

·
Registered
255 Posts
My West Coast navigation CD was scratched when I bought the car and occasionally gives a "read error". I've tried doing a disc copy but the scratch stops it working successfully.
dave
Bear with me here...
Had the same issue and tried rubbing the scratched disc (GENTLY) with a little toothpaste (yes toothpaste!) and a piece of dry tissue paper. This was a tip found on an internet search.
It abrased the disc and made it look cloudy and I thought there was no chance of it working, but it allowed me to take a copy!
(wondeful thing the internet - sometimes)

No guarantee here - depends on how bad the scratch is.

·
Registered
17 Posts

Does anyone have a CD they would be willing to copy and mail to me? I'll pay (through paypal?) of course.

dave
no problemo. shoot me a PM with your address.

·
Registered
52 Posts
same problem - use brasso

I had the same problem. When I boutght my '04 spyder, I swear the previous owner used the disk for a coaster with metal beer cans! I tried everything to get it to work but no luck. I asked an IT tech at work and he told me to rub it with brasso! I bought a can and had to apply and rub off several times but it worked! Disc reads fine now and I have made several copies off it that also work fine. I have used the same technique to music cds and works every time!

·
Registered
46 Posts
I had the same problem. When I boutght my '04 spyder, I swear the previous owner used the disk for a coaster with metal beer cans! I tried everything to get it to work but no luck. I asked an IT tech at work and he told me to rub it with brasso! I bought a can and had to apply and rub off several times but it worked! Disc reads fine now and I have made several copies off it that also work fine. I have used the same technique to music cds and works every time!
My personal favorite is Maguiars #7 Show Car Glaze. Rub it on real good and wipe off. It works great for me on small scratches. I am going to have to give the Brasso a try.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I never thought about Brasso. I too will have to try it. I used to use that all the time on my Zildjian and Paiste Cymbals in my drummin' days :D.

·
Registered
1 Posts
navigation cd

i recently purchase 2005 QP and the navigation cd has seems to me like sand paper scratch on the outer side of the cd... i put car wax on the cd and other plastic cleaner but it wont work so i tried acetone and other chemical hoping it would work but made it worst...it hazed cd any one have copy or extra cd for washington state......i will pay the expenses....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts