Maserati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2002 spyder and it is missing nav discs. Ive seen lots of posts about how the nav system stinks and dont want to spend lots of bucks on discs if its not worth it. But my perfectionist personality is taking over and I want it to work whether it sucks or not.

Before I purchase the discs, I need something clarified. Ive read alot about having nav or no nav, having a gps antenna or no antenna. If I understand this right, does that mean that all cars came with the same dash and display but only some have the nav equipment installed?

How do I find this out about my car before dumping bucks into discs that I wont be able to use anyway if I dont have nav equipment installed? What specifically do I look for to be certain?

Thank for the help with this!

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
I just purchased a 2002 spyder and it is missing nav discs. Ive seen lots of posts about how the nav system stinks and dont want to spend lots of bucks on discs if its not worth it. But my perfectionist personality is taking over and I want it to work whether it sucks or not.

Before I purchase the discs, I need something clarified. Ive read alot about having nav or no nav, having a gps antenna or no antenna. If I understand this right, does that mean that all cars came with the same dash and display but only some have the nav equipment installed?

How do I find this out about my car before dumping bucks into discs that I wont be able to use anyway if I dont have nav equipment installed? What specifically do I look for to be certain?

Thank for the help with this!
Don't bother. Seriously. The Nav system is beyond bad, and you'd be getting 6 year old POI and route databases.

Have I ever mentioned the Garmin Nuvi? ;-)

·
Registered
210 Posts
Nav

I had the same thoughts about my 2003 coupe GT.
If you have nav when the info screen goes on there should be a warning screen that comes on after the first Maserati logo screen. You then have to push in the right side lager knob. After that the next screen that comes on after about 2. minutes or so you should see a green satelite dish logo in the lower left corner. You can also call Maserati NA and ask for a reprinted window sticker that will list all of the options. You can search this forum for my thread on making mine work. On the disks, ask your dealer if you can copy the CD for your area the last ones are from 2003.
Ron:)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Nav or no nav

Wow..do I ever miss my 05 coupe! You just reminded me when you opened this thread. My 05 had a button on the dash that said NAV,if I recall. Hit that button and the nav would fire up or it would post a message stating that the nav was not available due to not having a disc in place. Maserati might as well have put the nav system in the same category as the telephone system and voice command system...in other words, non-functioning in the US cars. They would have at least been able to save face by not showing us in the US what a piece of junk they were willing to sell in their $100,000+ exotic. In contrast, the nav in my 06 911S was the most advanced system I've seen this side of some of the Japanese offerings. My advice-forget the nav and just enjoy driving your Maserati!

·
Registered
357 Posts
I haven't done it but I have the same thought process as you. Here's what I found. If you push the nav button and get the message "nav function not available", then you don't have it. If that's the case, you need to get the antenna that goes under the dash-top vent and plugs into the back of the info/radio unit. You then need to get the dealer to insert their "dealer only" programming disk and add the nav program. At that point, you will be able to insert a map-disk and utilize the mediocre Maserati nav system.

If you see a satellite dish on your info display, or if you get GPS coordinates when you press the nav button, then you just need the map disks.

Checking www.eurospares.co.uk , it doesn't look like the nav antenna is expensive. I don't know what the dealer might charge to install and program, but it doesn't seem a big job.

Not everybody likes tacked on temporary units with wires hanging all over the damned place. ;) As for me, I prefer to review a paper map and just go.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I have the Nav option on my 2002 Coupe. I even purchased a set of Maserati CD's for the system. So here is the true "skinny" on the unit.

It is absolutely worthless as a functioning navigation system. (but does add some cool factor to the car). My '03 XK8 Jaguar has a Nav as well and is light years ahead of the Maserati.

So, enjoy the Maserati, at some point in the future you'll probably run across a set of CD's for a cheap price. Buy them then, and satisfy your purist heart.

·
Registered
635 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
After looking at the screen shot of the navigation system, it seems the QP might have a different system. Regardless, it's equally bad. The street I live on, which has been in existence for at least 10 years and is actually drawn on the nav screen isn't listed in the street database (yes I have the correct disc in).

However, even knowing how bad the system is, I would still buy the CDs to have a complete car.

·
Registered
742 Posts
True story. Never even turned it on.

I have had my 04 CC for just about 3 years, since the day I bought it I never once even tried to turn the navigation on or use the discs.

Never was a big fan of navigation. Even driving the car home from Chicago to NJ.

If you have to have navigation, I would go with a new portable wireless system with current maps and updates.

CM

·
Registered
835 Posts
probably used it about 10 times in the past 3 years. only 50% of the time was it able to get me to the destination i entered. it's waste of money. worthless. don't get it

·
Registered
549 Posts
Resurecting this

Looks like my new '0-2 does not have Nav BUT I think the software is in there b/c when I push the Nav button, I then have to push the right knob to get rid of the warning. It does not have the antenna since there are no Lat/Lon coordinates. Although the system my s--k, I would like to at least see maps occasionally. Seems like an easy fix to add the Nav.

Anyone have any leads on the antenna and disk ? For under $100, seems worth adding, plus the joy of doing an easy mod yourself.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts