Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
  1. In a literal sense . See photo . I noticed this yesterday , and measured the PSI ( I have a digital gauge that’s within 1/10 of a psi measure ) and since then until today it hasn’t lost any air whatsoever . I’m guessing the screw is not deep enough to have penetrated all the way through because even if it’s not a big gap there would still be probably enough air around the circumference that might escape . But so far absolutely nothing .. so what do you guys think should I leave well enough alone and not have the screw removed and the tire plugged , until if and when it starts leaking any air ? BA2434B1-3C59-4E6E-A3AD-884ADCDF2F94.jpeg u

3,675 Posts
I would probably pull it out...Here is the bad news....Tire places won't plug a tire on the outer portion of the tire like that...It needed to be on left side of that groove. The screw is small enough I'm pretty sure it didn't puncture the tire...J

·
Registered
92 Posts
I'd say it should come out. that way you can tell how much damage it caused and decide to risk not replacing it or bite the bullet and replace it.

·
Premium Member
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a car shop nearby that has plugged tire punctures I’ve had in the past which were much closer to the edge than this one, but I do know what you’re saying Jason, 90% of tire places won’t do that. However , this is easy enough for a DIY, I have a tire repair kit and I’ve done that a couple of times before, so not a big deal ..might fix it tomorrow. I put some soapy water around it and no sign of any bubbles so it’s likely it did not go far enough, but that looks like a sheetrock screw head and they’re usually long so I’m a bit surprised ..

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
That's in there pretty good, when you remove it you might hear air coming out, but I've plugged in that location many times before...plug kit will work just fine.

·
Premium Member
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, probably best to plug it, and my friend ( the mechanic ) said even a single screw like that can affect the balance of the wheel, but I probably won’t feel it given it’s in the rear wheel and the effect from a single lightweight screw is probably too negligible to notice . Come on, it’s not as if this car has a Formula 1 set up where a spec of dust throws the car off balance .. :rolleyes:😉

·
Registered
753 Posts
I had twice. So big deal.....

Just a 20 Eur repair to my local tire shop.

Just a coffee time at the shop's reception and it is ready.

No need to buy tools, repair kits, etc etc

·
Premium Member
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Still no air leak as of yesterday evening ; thinking since the trie is new ( less than 2k miles on it ) it may be that both the tread is thick and the screw was short , so it probably did not puncture deeply enough. I might leave it alone for a few days and just monitor the situation ..if I feel the slightest vibration or it loses any air at all, I’ll just drive it down to the same shop that plugged up my last tire and see if I can sweet talk them into doing this even though it’s against conventional guidelines.. in this overly litigious nation, can’t blame anyone for being paranoid about liability .. that’s why I was thinking abut a DIM ( do it myself ) ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Still no air leak as of yesterday evening ; thinking since the trie is new ( less than 2k miles on it ) it may be that both the tread is thick and the screw was short , so it probably did not puncture deeply enough. I might leave it alone for a few days and just monitor the situation ..if I feel the slightest vibration or it loses any air at all, I’ll just drive it down to the same shop that plugged up my last tire and see if I can sweet talk them into doing this even though it’s against conventional guidelines.. in this overly litigious nation, can’t blame anyone for being paranoid about liability .. that’s why I was thinking abut a DIM ( do it myself ) ;)
If you leave the screw in place, it’s likely to penetrate deeper and deeper as you drive - particularly a rear tyre under acceleration - and puncture through eventually

3,675 Posts
This is simple...Rock the screw a bit with a pair of dikes( think wire cutters and not women) and see if it leaks air...Hypothetically speaking, I could see something like that on your car and I may fix it for free with no mention of it or bill you for it...Just saying..So there is no record that it ever took place...Hmm....Jason

·
Premium Member
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Tyresmoke and Jason , good points, well taken !

And Jason, I live in the SF Bay Area , a very large pool of both dikes / dykes to select from, but just one ( the wire cutters ) I can use for a “ screw “ 😜

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Tyresmoke and Jason , good points, well taken !

And Jason, I live in the SF Bay Area , a very large pool of both dikes / dykes to select from, but just one ( the wire cutters ) I can use for a “ screw “ 😜
You could use the other for a 'screw' if curiosity set in enough! :p

·
Registered
2014 GT S Rosso Trionfale 26000. miles
6 Posts
Hi guys i never post but read a lot and on this site the screw looks very short and in the thick part of the tread which usually never go trough as Jason said rock it back and forth you can add some soap water for clear answer ie bubbles if none your done remove it if all the way in i personally would never put a tire pug in my tire you can take the wheel to a good tire shop and have the tire patched from the inside plugging a tire is not recommended when you do you are breaking the steel belts inside and then weakening also with the plug it lets water into further leading to rust inside go on line and search tire plug verse patch good luck

·
Premium Member
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So I went to my friendly local tire shop ( the same ones who plugged one of my tires in the past ) and asked them to do the same for this tire. Now, let’s keep in mind this is a tire shop that has every interest in either charging some money - about $ 25 for plugging it from the outside only, or $ 50 for a complete removal with plug & interior patching, or , trying to “ sell “ me on the merits of buying a new tire for about $ 400. They looked at it and asked me if it’s losing air , so I informed them it’s not losing any air at all.. and it’s been many days now. They put some soapy water around it, just as I have at the time I noticed the screw, and still no sign of any leaks . And then to my surprise they asked : “ then why bother to take the screw out and plug the tire ? “. I told them that eventually with driving, the tread will wear down, the screw will be driven further in and puncture the interior band to the point where it will start losing air. They said : “ that’s true, but it may be thousands and thousands of miles until when and if that happens, this tire is new and you have tons of thread on it , so just bring it back then, and we’ll gladly plug it . We can do it now if you really want, but there’s no reason you should”
So I decided I’m going to stay “screwed” until the tire starts to lose some air and then have it plugged.

·
Premium Member
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
The saga ends ; I changed my mid ; had the screw removed and the hole plugged. Did not do an interior patch since the screw only penetrated about half of the tread depth, but had I left it in there it would have EVENTUALLY pushed through and cause a leak .. maybe in another 5,000 miles, maybe in 10,000 miles .. but it’s fixed now so all’s right with the world again .. well, maybe not “ all “, there’s that pesky corona thing ..😚

·
Premium Member
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Very true, I would have kept thinking , and for who knows how long, when is it going to be driven in far enough to cause a leak ?! So peace of mind is priceless for sure.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Pull screw, apply spit, watch.
1. nothing happens...have a nice day.
2. It leaks. Take 5 minutes and DIY plug it...unless you plan on extended 150mph driving. been doing it for years. Just took an almost identical screw on outside edge of a Conti on my Stelvio. TPMS sensors gave me a warning, came home at lunch, found it, pulled tire for ease of work, repaired it in 5 minutes, reinstalled...life goes on. Worst thing that could happen is it leaks and you find it flat someday. It will not catastrophically fail!! After 25yrs and literally a dozen repairs...never had a problem.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts