Maserati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
  1. In a literal sense . See photo . I noticed this yesterday , and measured the PSI ( I have a digital gauge that’s within 1/10 of a psi measure ) and since then until today it hasn’t lost any air whatsoever . I’m guessing the screw is not deep enough to have penetrated all the way through because even if it’s not a big gap there would still be probably enough air around the circumference that might escape . But so far absolutely nothing .. so what do you guys think should I leave well enough alone and not have the screw removed and the tire plugged , until if and when it starts leaking any air ? BA2434B1-3C59-4E6E-A3AD-884ADCDF2F94.jpeg u

3,448 Posts
I would probably pull it out...Here is the bad news....Tire places won't plug a tire on the outer portion of the tire like that...It needed to be on left side of that groove. The screw is small enough I'm pretty sure it didn't puncture the tire...J

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'd say it should come out. that way you can tell how much damage it caused and decide to risk not replacing it or bite the bullet and replace it.

·
Premium Member
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a car shop nearby that has plugged tire punctures I’ve had in the past which were much closer to the edge than this one, but I do know what you’re saying Jason, 90% of tire places won’t do that. However , this is easy enough for a DIY, I have a tire repair kit and I’ve done that a couple of times before, so not a big deal ..might fix it tomorrow. I put some soapy water around it and no sign of any bubbles so it’s likely it did not go far enough, but that looks like a sheetrock screw head and they’re usually long so I’m a bit surprised ..

·
Registered
834 Posts
That's in there pretty good, when you remove it you might hear air coming out, but I've plugged in that location many times before...plug kit will work just fine.

·
Premium Member
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, probably best to plug it, and my friend ( the mechanic ) said even a single screw like that can affect the balance of the wheel, but I probably won’t feel it given it’s in the rear wheel and the effect from a single lightweight screw is probably too negligible to notice . Come on, it’s not as if this car has a Formula 1 set up where a spec of dust throws the car off balance .. :rolleyes:😉

·
Registered
718 Posts
I had twice. So big deal.....

Just a 20 Eur repair to my local tire shop.

Just a coffee time at the shop's reception and it is ready.

No need to buy tools, repair kits, etc etc

·
Premium Member
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Still no air leak as of yesterday evening ; thinking since the trie is new ( less than 2k miles on it ) it may be that both the tread is thick and the screw was short , so it probably did not puncture deeply enough. I might leave it alone for a few days and just monitor the situation ..if I feel the slightest vibration or it loses any air at all, I’ll just drive it down to the same shop that plugged up my last tire and see if I can sweet talk them into doing this even though it’s against conventional guidelines.. in this overly litigious nation, can’t blame anyone for being paranoid about liability .. that’s why I was thinking abut a DIM ( do it myself ) ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts