• New Clutch!
  • Variators Replaced!
  • New Michelin SuperSport Tires!
  • New Brakes!
  • NO CEL!
The Bad:
  • Rear RH Exterior Electric Door Lever NOT working
  • Rear RH Power Seat NOT working
  • Rear RH Window Regulator Broken (Hence tape to hold up the window) [INPROCESS#20]
  • Broken RH Center Vent (already fixed with $45 part from eBay) [FIXED#18]
  • Parking Brake needs to be tightened up
  • NIT wasn't working but turned out to be the 10A fuse on the back of the unit (but now I need to get the 4-digit code)
  • Broken Side View Mirror Knob (ordered)
  • Power Steering Wheel Adjustment not working (steering wheel won't move in/out/up/down but I hear it trying initially)
  • MISSING RH Rear Taillight Foglight Bulb Holder (get foglight error on dash)
  • Front RH Interior Door Lever NOT working (this is mechanical right?) [FIXED#19]
  • STICKY switchgear EVERYWHERE!
  • Headliner is starting to sag a bit in the rear
  • Battery Drain (car sat for 2 days and was completely dead, noticed that the CD changer lights are always on?)
  • NO manuals and only 1 Key
  • Suspension feels quite floaty and steering is a little darty (Alignment? Sway Bars?)
  • Maserati Hood Emblem is badly faded! (ordered)
  • Rear Trunk Shocks are shot (ordered a generic pair from eBay)
  • Paint and Interior need some love!

·
Registered
2010 Maserati QP GTS
46 Posts
Well, despite the cons it still looks quite fine overall. You just require some patience, a methodical approach and that TLC to bring it back to the glory it and you deserve. You will appreciate it a lot more when you reach the glory point. Meanwhile enjoy the journey in both respects. These cars have a special unique quality not ready available in the mass produced market output.
Welcome to this forum, where you will find many like-minded people only too willing to share experiences and solutions. 👍

Reactions: Qauttro Pete

·
Registered
614 Posts
Not sure what I've gotten myself into, but my wife says I have a problem bringing home "stray" cars :LOL:

Black on Gray 2006 DuoSelect QuattroPorte with 190K miles:

View attachment 144527

View attachment 144528

View attachment 144529

View attachment 144530

View attachment 144533

View attachment 144531

View attachment 144534
Well, someone obviously had enough faith in the car (well, likely a number of owners did) to put 190,000 miles on the car. That says to me that the basic bones of the car are durably designed, though the cosmetics are "delicate" and easy to mess up. Pretty significant "gape" for the steering wheel cover.

Cheers!
You

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, the car sat out in the sun for almost a year - is that steering wheel cover available separately?

It was the owner that I bought it from that put on most of the miles - he bought it in 2013 and used it as a highway commuter for ~150k miles!

·
Registered
614 Posts
That explains it... highway miles, at the least, are relatively easy on the clutch...

I'm afraid I don't know, re the steering wheel cover. Should be easy enough to find a used but in good condition one...

·
Premium Member
1,938 Posts
WOW! 190K miles on a QP V is the most I've heard about so far, and a DuoSelect too! Those issues are relatively minor when you add it up. Fixing the door handle and window regulator will involve taking apart the door panels, but my shop could certainly handle that. I hope to hear a lot more updates on this interesting escapade.

·
Premium Member
1,938 Posts
I live in Fresno, in fact, which is a 3-hour drive south of Sacramento. In California that counts as close!

I have only had the mechanical handle (interior) repaired, I have not experienced a problem with the electric door handle. Have no idea what to do with it but I'm sure it is pretty simple for a good shop.

The "gape" at the top of the steering wheel is not the fault of the wheel or horn cover, it is due to the steering column cover warping upwards on top. Have no idea about a remedy besides advice of an upholstery/interior shop.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Cars like this always get a special place in my heart - they have exceeded most everyone's expectations, and are still going down the road. I've had a few Maseratis and Ferraris over the years and I've always found them to basically be reliable, provided you keep up on the delicate bits.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The external door handle is a replacement not a repair. If you DIY, search on this site for door panel removal; you will get front door, rear door is very similar.

For the gap in the steering wheel cowl, I begged an upholstery shop for a scrap piece of leather that matched the texture on the steering wheel airbag cover. Then I rolled up an exact length piece with a diameter fat enough for a press fit into the gap. I was surprised at how well that looks. I can send a pic if anyone wants to see.

·
Registered
614 Posts
OP, your car constitutes an interesting (to me) case study for high mileage DuoSelect cars... Conventional wisdom says that the "power unit" as Maserati calls it (that block of solenoid-operated valves at the back of the transaxle) which orchestrates the shifting of gears (via the actuator) - lasts about 100,000 miles. You're at 190k miles. So it totally goes 'round that those have largely been highway miles (meaning comparatively fewer gear-shifts versus City- or Suburban driving)... as I would not have expected this many miles on said unit. Having said this, and it may be easily evident on visual inspection, who knows whether the PO had any of the six (?) SOV's changed-out. Same could be said for the F1 pump and the accumulator...

Really interesting car, and btw, with my favorite wheels, those lovely 19's 🙂.

·
Registered
614 Posts
The other interesting thing is how long the hydraulic "lifters" have lasted. OP, is there any ticking at idle? Real PITA to deal with 32 lifters, with one of them ticking... Do you/can you use chemical to unstick a noisy one, and if unsuccessful, how do you ID which one is noisy, and do you replace ALL or just one?

Really hard to get to, and probably need to lift cams to get to them...

190k miles, I'd expect some noisy ones soon...

@Oishi had some success, lately, with a pricey product... but believe me, even $100 (and it was cheaper than that) would be peanuts in effectively dealing with this. From my experience, more frequent oil changes help with this potential issue...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Now that's rad, congratulations on the purchase and bravo for seeing QP hang on for this long! These are awesome rigs and I'm glad to see somebody else taking them in for the long haul. Enjoy!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Congrats and welcome to the forum! This is encouraging to keep my QP longer and longer!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
  • Front RH Interior Door Lever NOT working (this is mechanical right?)
Followed this post to remove the door panel:

Then this post for basing my fix:

Sure enough the plastic retainer was broken & missing:

Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Tire Steering part

Measured the barrel end to be ~7mm so I sourced a 1/4" (6mm) P-Clip:

Bumper Gas Automotive tire Automotive exterior Auto part

Font Material property Electronic device Audio equipment Gas

Here's pic of how the cable is supposed to rest (in the my broken handle):

Hood Automotive tire Tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

Using the P-Clip and mounting it using one of the existing trim bolts:

Hood Motor vehicle Sleeve Automotive tire Automotive design

Hood Automotive tire Steering part Steering wheel Motor vehicle

Good as new!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
  • Rear RH Window Regulator Broken (Hence tape to hold up the window)
  • Rear RH Exterior Electric Door Lever NOT working
  • Rear RH Power Seat NOT working

Grouping the above together as they all related to the rear RH door. Today, I only removed the door panel and investigated the issue a bit:

Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Automotive wheel system Gas

Automotive tire Gas Automotive exterior Bumper Machine

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Gas Fixture

1 - 20 of 27 Posts