Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Maserati Granturismo
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Love both cars, and I like how both are naturally aspirated V8 engines. They seem to be a dying breed now days. When it comes to exhaust sound, the Maserati is at another level

·
Registered
228 Posts
No competition in my mind. My neighbour has a Vette and it doesn't hold a candle to the Mas. He knows it too. You're lucky to be able to own both. Good on ya! (y)

·
Premium Member
2,273 Posts
Same thoughts as jetspeed !

I’ve heard quite a few Corvettes with phenomenal exhaust sound though, ( I’d say cca 2010 - now decade models ) but I don’t know if they were ZR1s, or had after market exhaust systems, but the tips looked stock.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
BROOOOOOOO....... This battle was over before it even started, LOL!!!

**Masi for the easy win 🍻

(good content)

·
Registered
15 Posts
For me, like jetspeed and DSGT, Mas is the clear winner.

I wonder what they'd say on a Vette forum?

·
Premium Member
2013 Maserati GranTurismo Sport
194 Posts
No comparison. Hands down the Maserati sounds better. Performance is a different story but the Maserati isn’t a race car.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
you're welcome... 👍

·
Premium Member
2,273 Posts
Maybe the ones I heard, which sounded very good, all had after market exhausts ; if the stock system is indeed that unimpressive ( vs. what one would expect in that kind of car ) I guess it’s quite likely a lot of owners install after market exhaust on them to make it much louder and perhaps even a different tone than the OE.
I would !
Related story : many years ago I was looking to buy pre-owned Ferrari 550 , in mint condition, but when I took it out for a test drive I was competent underwhelmed with how quiet that car was. A friggin’ V12 , and they had to equip it with the saddest sounding exhaust system, which even at WOT you had to open the windows to hear it whimper ? Clearly did not buy the car, no matter how much I liked its lines .
I bought the GTS mostly for the sound, the great looks was just a bonus and made the purchase a no-brainer . But definitely a 60% sound - 40 % looks decision ratio.

·
Registered
2018 Maserati Granturismo Sport Convertible
1,343 Posts
A pushrod American V-8 is not going to sound melodious or exotic in any way shape or form. So that contest was flawed from the beginning.

However, I had a chance to hear the new C8 Corvette in person recently and the sound in that platform was pretty decent I have to admit. (Although I hear the upcoming ZO6 will have a flat-plane engine so that will be quite interesting).

·
Registered
2013 GTC MC
374 Posts
Totally different cars with different purposes but no competition between the Maserati and a vette. I could've bought many vettes in my life and never found one that pulled hard enough at my heart strings to make me open my wallet.

·
Registered
2014 Maserati GranTurismo Sport
56 Posts
What I always loved about the GT is how it's just the perfect car for my driving style. It sounds awesome, looks awesome, is comfortable, and is fast without being stupid fast. Corvettes can get you in a lot of trouble quite easily. A Maserati, on the other hand, will let you enjoy yourself without killing you, and look and sound a lot better doing it.

Crap, my fanboy is showing. 😅

Reactions: DSGT

·
Registered
228 Posts
I bought the GTS mostly for the sound, the great looks was just a bonus and made the purchase a no-brainer . But definitely a 60% sound - 40 % looks decision ratio.
+1

Bang on statement. If the GT was as quiet as my Q60 (what a disappointment considering the stock exhaust note of the G35/G37), I likely would never have been targeting one as my dream car.

·
Premium Member
2,273 Posts
I always liked the exhaust note of the G35 ! Looks also . (better than the looks of the 37 actually) Was the exhaust note the same in the 37 as in the 35 or did they change that also ?
All subjective of course ,but the G35 had a far better tune , at least to my ears , than any Porsche or Mercedes , or BMW of that era.
( leaving the M5 V10 aside from the above, that’s already been discussed, and it’s comparing apples to oranges anyway ..)

·
Registered
228 Posts
You're correct, the G35 had a more aggressive note. I used to detail cars back in the day and I remember driving many G35's around. That stock exhaust still amazes me.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Love both cars, and I like how both are naturally aspirated V8 engines. They seem to be a dying breed now days. When it comes to exhaust sound, the Maserati is at another level
Maserati is the winner for me, nothing beats a Maserati!

Reactions: billgt1 and DSGT

·
Registered
2014 Maserati Granturismo
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Maybe the ones I heard, which sounded very good, all had after market exhausts ; if the stock system is indeed that unimpressive ( vs. what one would expect in that kind of car ) I guess it’s quite likely a lot of owners install after market exhaust on them to make it much louder and perhaps even a different tone than the OE.
I would !
Related story : many years ago I was looking to buy pre-owned Ferrari 550 , in mint condition, but when I took it out for a test drive I was competent underwhelmed with how quiet that car was. A friggin’ V12 , and they had to equip it with the saddest sounding exhaust system, which even at WOT you had to open the windows to hear it whimper ? Clearly did not buy the car, no matter how much I liked its lines .
So its been a few days and every one agrees 100% Maserati, no comparison.
So , for me, It was hearing the sound on the test drive that really made me want this car. If the sound was quiet, like an average car, I would not have bough it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts