Maserati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just this Saturday, I went skiing and on the way back, I encounter pretty heavy snow on the road. The temp. was really cold, at about 15F. I have Dunlop wintersport M2 snow tires on my car. The road was very slippery, no salt and not plowwed yet, but there was no problem. The MSP keep me in control not to spin out when apply power but it do nothing if slip happen when there is no power applied(a little wandering/understeering happened to me when I coasting down). I think the stability control in the highend MB or BMW correct the car's direction both when accelerating or coasting.

I curious that is the MSP suppose to work when coasting?

Anyway, I am pretty much confident that I could go around 50mph but I kept it lower than 35mph to be on the safe side. Some people were driving faster than me but I think I have more control than them. Most people around here do not use snow tires. Some maniacs in 4WD/SUV also thinks that they could drive really fast in slippery condition.

I got the conclusion that Maserati with snow tires and MSP is working pretty good in very cold slippery road. I think that it is even better than the SUV with all season tires.

·
Registered
909 Posts
One of the scariest cars I've ever driven in the snow was an X5 4.4 with "all-seasons" on it. Sure they can get up and go, but that whole turning \ stopping thing is a joke. Even 4wd Audi's are complete shite for turning\stopping in the snow without snow tires. Thats a hard thing to get around for QP's here, since Audi hits this area pretty hard with advertising. (#1 Audi dealership in the world is just down the street)

·
Registered
203 Posts
UK snow

isn't much better ! we had a flurry overnight and I managed to get to see a client not far from me, but couldn't get out of his slightly inclined drive on the way out. He had to come out with some old cloths to put down to give me some traction !

Is it best to switch off the anti spin button to burn through to some tarmac in that situation ?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Crapjokes said:
Is it best to switch off the anti spin button to burn through to some tarmac in that situation ?
Yes. If you don't, the MSP will be constantly interrupting, and the tires hardly moving.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Crapjokes said:
isn't much better ! we had a flurry overnight and I managed to get to see a client not far from me, but couldn't get out of his slightly inclined drive on the way out. He had to come out with some old cloths to put down to give me some traction !

Do u have all season or snow tires? My car with snow tires have no problem going on slipperry drive way with anti spin on.

pganmol

·
Registered
203 Posts
All season

pganmol said:
Do u have all season or snow tires? My car with snow tires have no problem going on slipperry drive way with anti spin on.

pganmol
Pirelli Zeros. Soon to be changed to Goodyear Eagle GSD3 F1 all round.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Took my Maser out yesterday for the first time in two months here in Denver. We've had an awful winter, as usually you can golf every month of the year. Got five feet out of my driveway before getting stuck. After the wife pushed me out, the rest of the day went well, as I just had to avoid the sand flying around the rest of the day. Learned that summer performance tires are even worse than I could have ever imagined on snow/ice. I just couldn't wait anymore, and the drive was great.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts