Maserati Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, we got some significant ice with about an inch of snow yesterday in Kansas City. I recently put new Blizzak's on my 19" rims. The car performed extremely well on the roads. While other cars were sliding around, having very much trouble getting grip, I was able to get around. I love the looks people give you as you cruise by, straight and in control, in a Maserati during a snow storm as they are sliding all over the road!

FYI, I have the 265 width Blizzak's on the rear wheels (the widest they make) with 245 up front. Great traction!

I do not currently have any weight (sand bags) in the trunk. Is this car heavy enough in the rear not to need them, or should I chuck two or three bags on sand back there? Anyone have experience on this issue?

Thanks!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Heh heh. I drive a 97 Jag XJR that according to the self-appointed cognoscenti is just about the worst car for snow, with a rear wheel drive and a high output engine. I put Michelin Alpine Sports tyres on it and have perfect grip. The tyres chew through heaps of snow, ice and mud, and the car does not give an inch. I actually have to make a deliberate effort to block the wheels when breaking or accelerating. My wife drives an Odyssey with all season tyres and she could not get up on our driveway when it was covered an a layer of ice/snow with front wheel drive. My jag got up it just fine. We got her a set of snow tyres also after that. It kills me that people think that they need to buy expensive and ungainly 4 wheel drive vehicles to deal with the winter weather. Last time I checked these vehicles are a lot more expensive than a set of dedicated winter tyres. I never needed extra weight in the back.

I can certainly imagine that you get a chuckle from the looks and comments on your Maser in the snow.

·
Registered
518 Posts
given the almost even weight distribution of the maser I wouldnt worry about sand bags

Snow tires go a long way I daily drove a 450hp Pontiac Trans Am all through college and my Dunlop graspics made her hook up like a 4wd in the snow.

Although I must admit I dont drive my qporte in the winter I have one of those ungainly SUV (E53 X5 4.6is) with snows its a great winter vehicle for some of the deeper snow I get outside of the city

·
Registered
340 Posts
I would be more worried about the idiot driving his beater with all season radial tires plowing into the side of my $100K car!

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would be more worried about the idiot driving his beater with all season radial tires plowing into the side of my $100K car!
I agree! I left the office yesterday and almost got slugged by a couple of those folks- literally spinning out and sliding like crazy on just a slight decline. I made a lap around the office and came back inside to let the riff-raff clear out for a few hours!

Also, I suppose the transmission being mounted in the back of the car takes the place of the weight of any sandbags!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have been very surprised how well my QP handles the snow as well. I went with a Rial wheel and Dunlop Wintersport SP tire set up and the car has been a tank.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts