Maserati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry guys, just need to vent....

I now spend way too much time on the side of the highway closing my hood which pops off each time I hit a medium sized pothole.

As you may all know, once a door/hood/trunk is open, your ability to shift once you go back into 1st becomes imobilized. I am getting pretty PO'ed having to endanger myself each time this happens. There is a highway which I have no alternative but take, which pretty much 100% of the time has a pothole at some point in every lane which causes the hood to open.....My only hope/other alternative is bumper to bumper traffic when passing through this portion of the road,

Every day I am learning of new roads which triggers the hood to pop off..

Anyone have the same issue/found any solutions?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Have you had the dealer look at the hood latch? This sounds like a major issue.

I have hit a pothole so hard it burst a tire and messed up a rim and the hood stayed closed.

-dsd

·
Registered
773 Posts
hood

have 02 spyder, never had a hood problem. but that did not stop me from having lots of other @#$% a good body shop should be your next stop. good luck,

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
bundas said:
have 02 spyder, never had a hood problem. but that did not stop me from having lots of other @#$% a good body shop should be your next stop. good luck,
isn't it a problem with the latch? not body work?

·
Registered
530 Posts
The Spyders are noticeably less stiff than the Coupes, but still you shouldn't be getting enough flex to pop the hood. I get a prety good amount of scuttle shake but I've never had the hood or trunk pop open.

Someone else mentioned having the storage compartment between the seats open over bumps but haven't had that happen either.

I'd definitely have the dealer check the hood latch and alignment.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Catch it

definitely a catch issue.. from my days rebuilding sports cars.. I recognised the latch and it's a pretty standard one across motorcars.. the problems arise when it's not adjusted properly..

hard to describe on the forum but often it's just about lunbricating the two parts of the latch so that when you shut the hood, the metal plungers lip which enters the hole with an integral clip, is caught by that clip when you do it.. oo-er missus !

what can happen is if the clip is not lubricated (saucy!) it gets stuck and won't spring back out to catch the lip at the bottom of the metal plunger. :)

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks guys...

I recall from a prior post, one of the reasons was our hoods/(bonnets for the Brits), is made of aluminum and is very lightweight? anyways, I plan on spending this Saturday looking for anything amiss...

took a short 20 mile round trip drive last night, hood popped 2 times...you coulda have heard my cursing in Italy...

·
Registered
824 Posts
On the 2005 coupe at least, there are two hood cables. Check the "backup" one is fully pushed forward (away from you) - it is the one with the small black plastic ring, not the lever.

On my car, the catch was incorrectly assembled and came apart (hence me knowing where the backup cable is.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Had no problems with the 02 Spyder.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts