Maserati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I've rarely kept a car over a year and the GS is coming to its 12'th month... still, I am enjoying it too much, particularly after the ECU upgrade, to let it go quite yet.

Remain intrigued by the AM v8, which I recently saw on the road and my dealer says they'll have one to test drive next week (for 3 days!).

I really like the looks of the AM and the specs are sooo close but my guess is that it can't match the fun of the GS engine, that is just pure high rev fun.

I can keep the GS and get the AM as well but that would be kind of redundant, and the biggest problem is that I can only garage one at a time, although I can fit lots of autos in my driveway.

Kind of miss the involment of a proper manual tranny...

No real point to this post. Will report back next week after I test drive the AM. Objective thoughts welcome.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Dont give up your GS!

RQ - I have test driven both in HK. Yes the Vantage is nice looking but remember, it is not that fun of a car to drive. I am not sure what other car you have in your garage besides your GS... but i can tell you one thing is that even though the Vantgae is pretty much the same on paper compare to the GS, i think it's a lesser fun car to go around.

in HK, the Vantage is also substantially more expensive than the GS... not sure whether that's the case for where you are residing.

keep both - i m keeping my C4S cab and am eagerly waiting for the MCV. :)

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
i have seen the V8 Vantage but not driven one. it is nicely done, and very much like the DB9 which i have driven. the design is just a little more contemporary over the GS.

I guess on the Vantage you are stuck with a manual and on a GS you are stuck on a CC.

keeping both are redundent. why not get a V12 DB9 then?

HK's pricing is just purely fantasy: $2M HKD vs $1.2M HKD on a GS if i remember correctly. (as well, a base 911 is more expensive over a GS). It makes the Vantage a bargin in many countries.

US pricing is also awkard: $110k base + options + stealer markup will be close to a low mileage 2005 DB9's $150k.

please let us know how it drives.

·
Registered
279 Posts
M! - you are absolutely correct. Are you from HK?

The pricing in HK is way off because the people are too brand conscious. Second Hand 2000 360s are still asking for HKD1.4mil (USD179k!!!). The problem here is that people are willing to pay so much more for Ferrari and Porsche that they forget things like Maserati, Aston Martin.

The depriciation on Astons are terrible in HK as well. A DB9 might hold the value slightly better but a Vantgae will drop like a stone. That's why the Vantage aint moving.

A base 997 C2 is around 1.3mil (but has absolutely no options in it)...

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
good guess. too bad in HK the 'common' brand consciousness dictates over taste. and most porsches sold are tiptronic ([email protected])
you know very well that it is an eye opener to see a maserati or aston among a sea of porsches and ferrari's.

actually i find it interesting to see how maserati and aston are priced so differently though. (the QP could have been priced higher than M5 and CLS55.... for instance). those aston martins are way up there... i guess the aston martins are priced to increase its aura...

·
Registered
279 Posts
Actually, the QP is close to the M5... M5 is 1.4mil and the QP is 1.38mil.

As for Astons DB9, it is expensive even though it's a great car...

·
Registered
242 Posts
As much as the AM v8 is one of the nicest looking cars tp come out in a long time, the straight line performance is somewhat dissapointing.
Zero to 60 in 5.1sec for a $120k car?? What were they thinking? Nonetheless, it is a stunning design.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
STARDOC said:
As much as the AM v8 is one of the nicest looking cars tp come out in a long time, the straight line performance is somewhat dissapointing.
Zero to 60 in 5.1sec for a $120k car?? What were they thinking? Nonetheless, it is a stunning design.
my QP is over $120k and 0-60 is about 5.1s.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts