Maserati Forum banner

81 - 100 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
I ordered the front Brembo's to start. These are supposed to be the best of the best quality of brembo's as there are different levels of quality even within brembo branded brake systems.

I have spoken with Jeff about the results and even taking the (rotor) size into effect it should be really noticeable when looking at them through the wheels.

PM sent.

·
Registered
357 Posts
And, here we are. You don't need an "excuse" to mod your car to suit your tastes. Just do it and enjoy! :) We'll be very interested in your report

Still, there's nothing wrong with my Maserati at speed on the highway. I haven't driven the exalted G35, but there's no need to apologize for the Maserati compared to my M3, 750iL, SLK or Lotus. Well, actually the Lotus is too "frantic" for high speed highway touring. Anyway, the Maserati Coupe is a very capable GT car unless there's something wrong. I think it's every bit as capable as the 456, which is the only Ferrari with a similar design objective.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I am a bit confused. When you guys say "high speed" are you talking about 130+mph, 140s-150's.? I notice the car gets light above 140mph and I prefer straights at that speed.

At 110, 115, 120 mph it's fine to me. At 100 I can't even tell its 100. This is compared to the other cars I drive, driven etc which would be jag, mercedes, bmw etc.

Just put a new set of Michelin PS II's and it is a heck of a lot quieter and solid feeling.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I am a bit confused. When you guys say "high speed" are you talking about 130+mph, 140s-150's.? I notice the car gets light above 140mph and I prefer straights at that speed.

At 110, 115, 120 mph it's fine to me. At 100 I can't even tell its 100. This is compared to the other cars I drive, driven etc which would be jag, mercedes, bmw etc.

Just put a new set of Michelin PS II's and it is a heck of a lot quieter and solid feeling.
A very good question Greg.

In stock trim, I found the car OK to about 130 (maybe 140) on smooth straight roads. In fact, I drove it back from Denver to Calgary on backroads all the way through Wyoming and Montana and had the cruise set at 100MPH for hours on end - on straight roads

The problem was curves. I found taking any curve at all at 100 MPH+ (and most tighter curves below that speed) was pretty weird to say the least. The car - quite literally - felt like a boat. Hard acceleration caused the nose to rise up, and likewise hard braking caused it to dive. Cornering was interesting - combining overboosted, light sensitive steering with an absurd amount of body roll. It felt like a Caddie (a '75 Coupe de Ville not an '09 CTS-V).

This is not hypersensitivity on my part. The first time I took my buddy out for a drive (he owns a pretty nicely set up FFR Cobra). he was laughing so hard at the cowl shake, body roll and planing/ diving that I thought he would piss his pants. I adapted (as one always does) but that doesn't mean I liked it or that I deluded myself in to thinking it wasn't a problem.

New FD springs, anti sway bars, 1.25" of ride height drop and +1 Michelin PS2s helped a huge amount. Steering is still too overboosted and dead feeling and the brakes need work - but it is gettiing there.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Tom,

Flash you lost all crediability with me. "The G35 is 1/3 the price and a way better car?" Put down the crack pipe ands sell you Maser as you do not have a clue. I had a G35 Coupe all set up and it was a cheap plastic loud piece of crap and maybe a step from the 350Z but not much. My Maser is 10 times the car a G35 is and will spank it all over the block. The Maser is a GT car not a track car. The ride is excellent on the road and when things get tight and fast she adapts just fine. Maybe you need to spend a little time in true sports car because a G35 is not one or could every be compared to one. There is also not thing wrong with the breaks ont his car that a set of pads will not fix. They are strong and very controlable. If you run laps at high speed they will get hot and have some fade. So will any car without carbonfiber or ceramic brakes which heat up faster and cool way faster. I run with some fast cars and never have had a problem holding by own with Lambo's and Ferrari's. Sure I have a bit more float and and have to lift a bit earlier into the corners but you have to adapt your driving style to the car. Last run we had I was pushing the lead car hard through the twisty's and the big Lambo's (Murci) had a hard time hanging with my Maser. I was rowing the 6 speed and fliping her from corner to corner and they faded. They had paddles too and the Maser gained a ton of respect with the group. I think I was having more fun too. I had the traction control off and was drifting the rear end throught he tight corners just a bit just for show. Something you can't do in a AWD or a G35 please. Sell the Maser. You disrespected her and do not deserve to own it. She will start leaving you by the side of the road for this. These cars have a soul which is hard to find in a car these days. This is my third in the over 100 cars I have owned to have that soul. I have owned a lot of nice cars and have driven a ton of nice cars both track and street. The Maser is way more settled then my Z06 and the quick handling just takes a feel to get use too. If you want flat and track fast get a 430 Scud. Your Maser will be leaving you by the side of the road in the future and I don't blame her. G35 is a way better car- I am still laughing my ass off and Sedan to boot. LOL. Had the G35 for year and dumped it. Even the wife hated it coming out of her XK8 coupe. Felt cheap and the road noise was worse then a rag top with the top down. Plus front wheel will never be a true sports car. Yes there are fast fWD cars but the handling just sucks if they have any power. I know I have a MINI S that is actully more fun on the track then the Maser. Is it a faster or better car no. Just different and takes a different driving style completely. That could be your problem. If you are trying to drive your Maser like a G35 sedan you will definatly be fighting your car. I find the Masers loves to be driven with the throttle. You need to use the throttle to set up your weight transfer into and out of the corners. If you do not you will fight the weight and the soft springs. It is a lot like throwing a rally car into a corner. You have to give a little flick of the wheel to get weight transfering and compressing the shocks to set up for the corner. Yes it is a bit more complicated then driving unfeeling slug through a corner. That is the pure enjoyment I get out of driving the Maser. When you do everything right you are rewarded with the perfect corner with just the perfect amount of drift and the sound of that perfect Ferrari engine getting up on the cam.
A touch of wheel spin. Nothing gets any better except maybe a true track car for multipul laps. Plus I only drive manual cars so you have to add the Heel and Toe downshifting to the mix. There is a lot going on when you are running fast through the twisties to do it right. Learn your car. I have always been pretty lucky as I have always been able to adapt my driving style to get the most out of the car I am in at that time.

I am still laughing at he G35 comment. On the G35 coupe I had it was absolutly numb feeling like most asian cars. You have no idea what the tires are doing. They are totally isolated from the car. Maybe that is what you do not like about the Maser. You feel exactly what all four tires are doing at every moment. They are communicating with you and giving you information about the road surface and how much grip they have. Use the force Luke.
I think that new Lexus for 350K will be right up your alley. No body knows how to take a sports car and make it handle like an Accord then Japan. There
is driving excitment.
It's all about expectations, isn't it?

The bottom line is to appreciate the Maserati for what it is. And not to ask it to be something it isn't. I didn't buy my Spyder as a "911 Hunter" nor was it designed by Maserati as such.

It was designed to provide style, luxury and performance--in that order. And it delivers. In fact, I'd call it the "911 antidote." The cure for the boredom of Porsche.

Yesterday, the sun was shining and temps were mild. So I dropped the top and took to the highway with my son sitting shotgun. We headed from the county to midtown to Forest Park and the Central West end then eventually back out to the county.

Everywhere we went, we were greeted by turned heads, careening necks, beeping horns and "Sweet car!" A couple in a convertible Jag literally stopped in the middle of an intersection at the sight of the Maserati!

This was the kind of open-topped touring for which the Maserati Spyder was designed; a car in which to see and be seen. A genuine Italian gran turismo.

Does it have some shortcomings? Sure it does. But so what? That's like complaining about Marissa Miller's birthmark. You learn to live with and love it!

Happy Thanksgiving everybody!

·
Registered
315 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
It's all about expectations, isn't it?

The bottom line is to appreciate the Maserati for what it is. And not to ask it to be something it isn't. I didn't buy my Spyder as a "911 Hunter" nor was it designed by Maserati as such.

It was designed to provide style, luxury and performance--in that order. And it delivers. In fact, I'd call it the "911 antidote." The cure for the boredom of Porsche.

Yesterday, the sun was shining and temps were mild. So I dropped the top and took to the highway with my son sitting shotgun. We headed from the county to midtown to Forest Park and the Central West end then eventually back out to the county.

Everywhere we went, we were greeted by turned heads, careening necks, beeping horns and "Sweet car!" A couple in a convertible Jag literally stopped in the middle of an intersection at the sight of the Maserati!

This was the kind of open-topped touring for which the Maserati Spyder was designed; a car in which to see and be seen. A genuine Italian gran turismo.

Does it have some shortcomings? Sure it does. But so what? That's like complaining about Marissa Miller's birthmark. You learn to live with and love it!

Happy Thanksgiving everybody!
Fair enough Infidel. If I had followed your credo, I would be a lot better off financially right now.

That said, some of us never keep wanting to release the hidden sports car (Mr. Hyde) in the Gran Tourismo (Dr. Jecyll). Personally, I think I am only about $10 grand away....

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
Fair enough Infidel. If I had followed your credo, I would be a lot better off financially right now.

That said, some of us never keep wanting to release the hidden sports car (Mr. Hyde) in the Gran Tourismo (Dr. Jecyll). Personally, I think I am only about $10 grand away....
This is how I feel.. I felt like that 10K ago, and looking at another 10K I still think so, LOL.. :cool:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Guys, you are comparing apples to oranges..

the G35 and the Maserati Gransport are in totally difference class brackets..

the G35 is a (50k?) car and the Gransport is a 115k car.. the gransport's competition is the Vantage V8 and Porsche Carrera S.. not the G35

·
Registered
689 Posts
Hi Flash,

You did touch a nerve with your G35 comment. I owned one but it was my wifes car and she didn't even like it. We drove a 350Z first and it was tighter but the ride and noise was to much to take. Asian cars are just plan numb.
You have no idea what the car is doing until it breaks loose. As for your 911,
bring your 911 and your pink slip and we will see how good you do the track.
I am not scared of a stock 911(Non-Turbo) even in my wifes car a Mini Cooper S. I ran on track less then a week ago in a MINI and passed 3 911's that day in a MINI. They had more straight away speed but it was not even fair in the corners. 911 are a classic design for sure but not the easist car to drive fast on a track. They take lots of skill to drive fast. The older the model the more skill you will need to be fast in a 911. Press too hard and the motor
will pass you conming out of the corner. I honestly thought you had and issue with your car and now it looks like it was a bitch session. Sorry you feel your Maser was a waste of your money. Sell it to a good home and move on.
You and your Maser will both be better off. At first I wanted to help you sort your car out. It is now evident that was not your intention. Go wow em in you G35 Sedan sounds like a perfect match for you.

PS. There is nothing wrong with the brakes on this car either. Yes a pad change make a big differnce and big brakes help on the track. But to say the brakes suck I just do not see it. I thnik my Z06 had better brakes but it was also a lot lighter car. I am waiting for the it has steel brakes so they are no good line. Steel brakes will stop just as fast as Carbon or Ceramic in a panic stop provided they are the same size. It just in repeated laps they get hot and fade. C/C heat up and cool down was faster so you get the track performance. I heard a guy on the street the other day say he didn't want that Ferrari with Steel brakes following him in a cruise because he didn't have
c/c brakes and couldn't stop as fast. Way to many bench racers with out a clue that thinks everything the salemen told them is true. Have to justify the 15K they paid for brakes and have seen zero miles on a track.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I understand perfectly, Flash...

... I really do, and have traveled the road you are on more times than I care to recall. I spent years of my life and untold thousands chasing my car dreams.

And if I could have back all the money and time I spent, and the emotional highs and lows that came with it... I don't think I would.

So, if tossing another $10 or $20k towards your dream of "unleashing the beast" makes you happy, go for it!

·
Registered
744 Posts
Hi Flash,

You did touch a nerve with your G35 comment. I owned one but it was my wifes car and she didn't even like it. We drove a 350Z first and it was tighter but the ride and noise was to much to take. Asian cars are just plan numb.
You have no idea what the car is doing until it breaks loose. As for your 911,
bring your 911 and your pink slip and we will see how good you do the track.
I am not scared of a stock 911(Non-Turbo) even in my wifes car a Mini Cooper S. I ran on track less then a week ago in a MINI and passed 3 911's that day in a MINI. They had more straight away speed but it was not even fair in the corners. 911 are a classic design for sure but not the easist car to drive fast on a track. They take lots of skill to drive fast. The older the model the more skill you will need to be fast in a 911. Press too hard and the motor
will pass you conming out of the corner. I honestly thought you had and issue with your car and now it looks like it was a bitch session. Sorry you feel your Maser was a waste of your money. Sell it to a good home and move on.
You and your Maser will both be better off. At first I wanted to help you sort your car out. It is now evident that was not your intention. Go wow em in you G35 Sedan sounds like a perfect match for you.

PS. There is nothing wrong with the brakes on this car either. Yes a pad change make a big differnce and big brakes help on the track. But to say the brakes suck I just do not see it. I thnik my Z06 had better brakes but it was also a lot lighter car. I am waiting for the it has steel brakes so they are no good line. Steel brakes will stop just as fast as Carbon or Ceramic in a panic stop provided they are the same size. It just in repeated laps they get hot and fade. C/C heat up and cool down was faster so you get the track performance. I heard a guy on the street the other day say he didn't want that Ferrari with Steel brakes following him in a cruise because he didn't have
c/c brakes and couldn't stop as fast. Way to many bench racers with out a clue that thinks everything the salemen told them is true. Have to justify the 15K they paid for brakes and have seen zero miles on a track.
Island - you really need to get some help . If you get this worked up over someone questioning your car, I would hate to see what happens if someone said your TV has a poor picture!.

Sorry to get you foaming at the mouth some more, but I was actually being charitable comparing my Spyder to my daily driver (the G35) That is car is nothing special whatsoever - it is simply a very ordinary, mid level Japanese sport sedan. I hardly love the thing, or even feel any emotions for it at all, as it simply gets me from Point A to B (by way of example, I feel it is far inferior to a BMW 335). It is nonetheless, my best point of reference, as I have recently owned two of them.(and spent two full days on the track with the current one in May). The fact that the Maser comes up short in two key areas (handling and braking) against this pretty mediocre reference is a real problem in my mind. That is why I am working to simply get the problems fixed (not going in to denial and then ranting about the car having human attributes and ultimately getting even for my disrespect - whoa! - that is pretty weird, man).

On a more serious note, you go on (and on and on) about what a great driver you are, how much track experience you have, and your vast experience with all different kinds of cars - yet you thought your RWD drive Infiniti had FWD - and this after you owned it for a year? Sorry bud - something doesn't add up.

P.S. TravisJ (a very knowledgeable member on this forum) was in the passenger seat with me for a few hot laps on one of the fastest tracks in North America (RCS in Calgary) this summer. If you think that I can't drive, and therefore my views are worthless, why don't you ask his opinion of my driving skills?

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
Huge Improvement-

:D
Okay guys, so I picked up my car today... Got my baby detailed too...

I had the FD Sway Bars, FD Spacers, and the Carbon fiber paddles from Valence installed at Universal Autosport in Long Island by Kent Woodworth.

Great job Kent! Anthony Simone as always arranged everything very professionally. The detailing was done in house by Jason parga hes the best!

Let me start off by saying that the spacers are a must!

They dramatically improve the look of the car, it looks like the way it should have been..

The wheels now fill in the wheel wells, and it looks amazing! I'm so glad I did it, because I feel that it really finishes the look of the car, just my 2 cents.

For spacers I have the 25mm in the rears, and the 15mm in the front.
Sorry for the crappy pics, I just took these tonight I had to do it in the garage. :rolleyes:

I went for the smaller 17mm bolts instead of the OEM size 22mm bolts, because the OEM ones were a lot more expensive just because. 17mm is the standard size for lots or euro cars so I thought it should be okay if I ever have an issue. They look just fine on the wheels.

Also- I put on the venturesheild clearbra on the rocker panels and around the back side panel and I just had the lower spoiler and some of the rear bumper done at the same time, so I'm fully protected now. That was my choice, you don't have to do it if you don't want to.

The sway bars- Wow. It's not even a harsh ride at all, to tell you the truth, I couldn't tell the difference from before I put them on regarding harshness.

ButI could feel the difference, like it was tighter handling and I could just point the car easier in the direction that I wanted it to and the car would just follow, felt much more nimble, enough for me to really notice-

Me and Kent went for a drive on a backroad by the shop, and there were some twisties there. I wasn't driving fast rather just trying to stay with the curves and whereas previously I felt the weight of the car going side to side, it felt like the tires had more bite, and the car was just plain FLAT on the twisties, NO ROLL, NO BOUNCE. I also felt with the wider track, that you could actually feel the wider stance, more planted. I could still feel the weight of the car, given that its only 400 lbs lighter than my QP! :laugh:

But a huge improvement overall, confidence inspiring handling upgrade for sure. I am glad I went for the spacers and sway bars since I already had the springs, it feels really tight to me. I love it! Although I haven't had a chance to try it out at speed.

I also attached pics of the Valence paddles. They look Amazing! The funny thing is, the carbon weave and size of the weave and color in the paddles matches the carbon on the steering wheel! As if it were made for it.. :ninja2:

It looks OEM to me, I'm glad I went with the MC Victory paddles, they are the perfect size for me, the stock ones were kinda small, I have actual paddles I can flap and slap up and down as I please without ever having to feel for them. They really compliment the interior, and look just beautiful.

I have to say that the Valance carbon paddles are the best quality I have ever seen, they truly look fantastic, I was a little skeptical by pictures but when I saw them installed, they look great! Enjoy the pics- :cool:

:cheers:

George

Attachments

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Man - those paddles look amazing installed! Like you said, as if they came factory. I'd like to see a pic of your car head-on, to the side slightly, so I can get a good full view of how much the spacers set the wheels out. Sway bars sound like a must if you're tracking the car.

·
Registered
996 Posts
:D
I also attached pics of the Valence paddles. They look Amazing! The funny thing is, the carbon weave and size of the weave and color in the paddles matches the carbon on the steering wheel! As if it were made for it.. :ninja2:

It looks OEM to me, I'm glad I went with the MC Victory paddles, they are the perfect size for me, the stock ones were kinda small, I have actual paddles I can flap and slap up and down as I please without ever having to feel for them. They really compliment the interior, and look just beautiful.

I have to say that the Valance carbon paddles are the best quality I have ever seen, they truly look fantastic, I was a little skeptical by pictures but when I saw them installed, they look great! Enjoy the pics- :cool:

:cheers:

George
George, thanks for posting. They look perfect!

I am dying to go home for the holidays and drive my car and try the paddles on for the first time! (they are being installed this week)...December 19th couldn't come sooner!

Also, I am glad you approve of the product and that many other forum members are pleased. The Valence guys really came through for us!

JP

·
Registered
744 Posts
That looks great George. I went with 15mm spacers all around but I really like the look of your 25's. How much did you lower with the springs and do you think there may be any rubbing issues now in the rear as it looks like the rubber actually extends beyond the outer fender edge?

I am glad you like the sway bar/ spacer combo - I can't imagine driving without it now. I think most of the difference that you feel is from the bars actually as I had my bars installed first with the spacers afterwards. The spacers did make a difference but not nearly as huge as the bars.

Just wait until your try this set up on the track! The difference between the OEM car and a full FD set up (springs/ bars/ spacers) is so profound it is like driving a different car altogether - no more wallow, pitch and roll.

81 - 100 of 115 Posts