Maserati Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all , I am new to the Maserati Forum. I have owned my 89 430 since 1999 and I have kept it in wonderful shape ,and over the years it developed a leaky cam seal. Of course it dripped onto the exhaust causing extreme fire danger. my grandfather is an engineer and we decided to replace the seal ourselves. After extensive study of the factory service manuals and extreme care while performing the operation the car will not fire up. We took extreme care while timing the engine fearing valve-piston clash. the car will act like it wants to run and sometimes backfire lightly. Could my timing of the distributor be 180 out ? Anyone who can help please feel free to bounce any ideas off of me.

·
Registered
329 Posts
You removed the timing belt. The (USA version) driver side cam has an alignment hole that has to hit "dead on" with the mark on the cam tower.
Presuming you are at TDC.
Someone has to hold the cam in that position while you thread the timing belt. If you are alone, you have to lock the cam in that position. (quite the difficult task without proper tools - I know).
If you spun the engine and it did not fire up, you may have bent a valve. The maserati has three valves per cylinder, two run off a cup, the other driectly off the cam. Even if you start the car and it runs, perform a compression check to make sure you still have a good valve to head seal.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts