Maserati Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all

I went to get my QP 5 out of storage yesterday, as due to lock down I haven’t used it in quite a while. When starting it started absolutely fine but while idling it was making a quite a loud and distinctive tappeting noise for both banks. At first I thought that It would go after a while but it carried on. After doing some research I had a scary thought it could be a camshaft variator but looking further into it on some websites people have said that it only affects cars from 2006 to I think 2009 or 2010 is this true? And as well could this be the cause of the noise or is there something less or more costly going on as the car has only done 24000 from new? Many thanks for your efforts to help.

·
Super Moderator
5,352 Posts
It's possibly the variators. You can check if you have the updated version by looking in the oil filler (I think) The new ones have a visible helical spring.

How long has it been standing for? I suspect you've just got oil starvation because it's been left too long and needs a proper drain and change.

C

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.