Maserati Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone heard the differences? I have read responses in the forum to the Larini and Tubi muffler sound. The Larini is generally observed having a high pitch sound and the Tubi more of a deep base sound. Whether one is more better than the other is a personal choice. I have read many threads concerning the wonderful sound of the new GT-S car and wonder how it compares? Is the Larini and Tubi with X=Pipe replacement of the stock system sound just as good as the new GT-S? Does the new car blow away the modified stock system? What do you all think of the comparison?

2004 Coupe with Larini muffler and X-pipe

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
My impression is that the GT S exahust in sport mode is the best of all worlds. I like the Larini howl but an aftermarket set-up will never sound as "natural" as a stock one, which has been refined over several months of testing.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Yesterday I rode in a GS with Larini (I or the owner will need to get back with exact specs) but I can tell you the difference between that and my stock Tubi GS was night and day - I was intrigued.

While my GS has a great, low rumble, and you can ignore it, the Larini was always there, hyper-alert at all times. Very 'present' and a good deal louder in the cabin - enjoyable for performance runs. The precision of the exhaust note on downshifts was awesome. But, I think it would drive some people nuts (my wife included, when we go out in the Mas, so I'm not sure it's a good choice for those of us who carry 'civilians' with any frequency). While I really liked it, not sure I would want to live with it.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am very interested in the difference between the GT-S and the Larini? Does anyone have an opinion other than the GT-S sound is factory turned.

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
To add to my previous post, Larini (I have the x-pipe and back boxes from them plus sport cat pipes from a tuner here) is a howl, and as you go higher in revs, the scream goes higher.

The GT S is more of a Tubi on steroids-type sound, very guttural and deep.

·
Vendor
4,728 Posts
Remember that a GS with Larini Mufflers will have the X-Pipe Mod as well (this comes standard on the GS). If you install the Larini without the X-Pipe it will be a bit quieter if that's what you're going for.

The atermarket Tubi Mufflers have quite a bit more drone / resonance between 2-3k rpm's compared to the Larini and this is the main complaint we hear from customers who purchase the TUBI.

Best Regards,
-- Jeff

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Big Foot - I really wanted to hear what eveyone thought the GT-S sound was like, and I get it now. The Larini shounds a bit refined to me (I have the muffler and X-Pipe setup) and really like the sound. I believe that a TUBI on steriods would be an example of a different sound, but not necessarily better. I expect that when I hear the GT-S that I may say that is sounds great, but it is not the absolute answer to what everyone has been looking to hear in all of the cars - coupe, GS and GT. The GT-S sound must be just another great choice in the sound market.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Thanks Big Foot - I really wanted to hear what eveyone thought the GT-S sound was like, and I get it now. The Larini shounds a bit refined to me (I have the muffler and X-Pipe setup) and really like the sound. I believe that a TUBI on steriods would be an example of a different sound, but not necessarily better. I expect that when I hear the GT-S that I may say that is sounds great, but it is not the absolute answer to what everyone has been looking to hear in all of the cars - coupe, GS and GT. The GT-S sound must be just another great choice in the sound market.
Im anxious to hear what you think, after you get a chance to experience it in person :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.