Maserati Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all!

I'm hoping everyone is doing well during this rough time. I have been planning a move to Arizona from Washington for a few months now (I know what a bad time for a move) and one of the hardest parts has been trying to figure out the best way to get my car there. I really would rather not drive it for obvious reasons and I've had terrible experiences with car shippers. I thought about trailering it behind the Uhaul truck but that just seems like it could still cause issues with rocks flying up etc. The best bet seems like renting a small enclosed trailer (car hauler) but the only ones I can find for rent would need to be returned to the state they were rented in. Does anyone have any recommendations or thoughts that have done this before with success?

Thank you!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Best way is to drive it, just saying :cool:
That's definitely the more fun route.. I just worry about rock chips since I've done the drive before. Also, I need to be driving the uhaul so driving it won't really work :/

·
Registered
313 Posts
Contact a enclosed car transport company. Check their reviews first. That will be the best way.. plus u can use a car cover once its loaded on the truck

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
That's definitely the more fun route.. I just worry about rock chips since I've done the drive before. Also, I need to be driving the uhaul so driving it won't really work :/
Well damn, If you have to drive the U-Haul, that is a problem...lol

·
Registered
380 Posts
You do drive it right? How would rock issues from a glorious road trip be any different than rock chips from when you drive it otherwise? It is a GT car. It is DEFINITELY a depreciating asset. Saving it for the next guy is far too noble for me. If that concerned just have a starshield etx installed on the nose first....far cheaper option than anything alse and also very useful down the road for your other driving.

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
At the risk of repeating a major mis statement on this forum (10 years ago), in a similar situation, I said, “It’s an Italian touring car, NOT A PIANO!” That said, The safest way would be to transport it but if $$ is a concern driving it is what I would do.

But, I’m old school and would look for any reason to drive a GT cross country.

Reactions: ddsski

·
Premium Member
2,158 Posts
The ONLY downside I see to driving cross-states with a not-too-common car is in the event of a breakdown ( not very probable, but still not entirely impossible ) If that happens, locating a dealer, or an independent shop that’s willing to work on a Maserati , have access to parts which could be needed, etc,. may turn into a nightmare . Even if you’re lucky enough to find a place within the 200 mile free towing range AAA premium membership gives you, what are you going to do when you’re told the parts the car needs will take 1-2 months to get ? Leave it there and come back for it ? Wait around for a week or more for a transport company to schedule a pick up and take it to your new home ? Hate to paint a gloom and doom scenario, and as I said these cars are pretty close to bulletproof reliable, so not probable, but I also believe in Murphy’s Law , and I’ve had a couple of those experiences ( not quite as bad but still a colossal hassle and days wasted ) so thought I’d share this one thought on the topic..

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
The ONLY downside I see to driving cross-states with a not-too-common car is in the event of a breakdown ( not very probable, but still not entirely impossible ) If that happens, locating a dealer, or an independent shop that’s willing to work on a Maserati , have access to parts which could be needed, etc,. may turn into a nightmare . Even if you’re lucky enough to find a place within the 200 mile free towing range AAA premium membership gives you, what are you going to do when you’re told the parts the car needs will take 1-2 months to get ? Leave it there and come back for it ? Wait around for a week or more for a transport company to schedule a pick up and take it to your new home ? Hate to paint a gloom and doom scenario, and as I said these cars are pretty close to bulletproof reliable, so not probable, but I also believe in Murphy’s Law , and I’ve had a couple of those experiences ( not quite as bad but still a colossal hassle and days wasted ) so thought I’d share this one thought on the topic..
If you were traveling through GA and broke down, being a member of this site should have some advantages. I would offer at the very least a way to help you secure the car until this "craziness" is over. Maybe there are members here that are on your route and would do the same, if you needed help. 👍

·
Premium Member
2,158 Posts
Unless you’re taking the short route trough Nevada, and more inclined for a scenic trip via California , there are quite a few of us in CA, and there are also a couple of dealers, as well as some highly capable, honest and reasonable independent shops in the San Francisco - San Jose corridor. Same with the greater Los Angeles area. And I suspect between the two , elther San Luis Obispo , and Santa Barbara , or both should have a source for reliable Maserati service. So pretty safe here if something goes wrong I think . No clue about Oregon . Or Nevada . But we could have forum members in both states who could help with recommendations .

·
Registered
221 Posts
Since you have to move during this time, it would probably be safest to use one of larger enclosed carriers such as Reliable or Intercity. These will cost more but may be worth it if you are worried about damage and/or claims.
While a road trip would from WA to AZ would definitely be fun during the spring time, this season is not the time to do it as there are many things closed. You'll be able to plan out some nice long road trips that won't be as stressful once you relocate.

·
Premium Member
2,158 Posts
+ 1 . The traffic may be a lot lighter, but with almost everything closed along the way, it won’t be as pleasant of a trip as it could have been. Where will you make stops and enjoy a bit of rest over a lunch or a dinner , etc. , all at drive-ins ? And again, if something breaks down it’ll be a colossal hassle, much more so than during a time of normalcy .. definitely “ pack it up “ in a closed carrier vehicle and have it accompany you to AZ, instead of driving it . As stingray said, there will be plenty of opportunities to enjoy road trips after you move ..

·
Registered
266 Posts
If you cant find a one-way enclosed trailer I think the easiest solution is just pull an open trailer behind the uhaul. If your worried about rock chips get some 2" or 3" blue masking tape and cover the areas your concerned about.

I recently used a uhaul car hauler trailer to pick up a project car. I usually borrow a friends flatbed trailer but it wasn't available. The uhaul trailer was a lot easier to use. It was a tilt bed, the side fender folded down out of the way so you can open the drivers door to get out after you drive it on, and the built in straps wrap around the front tires and ratchet down. It just made it easy and it was only like $67 for 24hrs.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you everyone for the advice! I ended up covering the front end in blue painters tape and driving it since I got someone else to drive the UHAUL. The drive went great and we had absolutely no issues. I will say that taking the tape off was awful though haha. Here is a pic before I left!
IMG_0983.jpeg

·
Registered
313 Posts
Not bad!
I had my whole front wrapped with paint protection film.. but my car will never ever be used to go cross country..

How were the bugs on hitting windshield? Thats the issue i face here in indiana.. too many farms on the back roads and too many bugs

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Not bad!
I had my whole front wrapped with paint protection film.. but my car will never ever be used to go cross country..

How were the bugs on hitting windshield? Thats the issue i face here in indiana.. too many farms on the back roads and too many bugs
Yeah it wasn't ideal to drive it but 1300 miles on a 20k mile car isn't terrible IMO. Such a comfortable car for a long drive though! Bugs on the windshield were very annoying though during the night portion of the drive the first day. I gave her a good wash once I got into AZ and all was well. The only stressful part was coming into AZ on I10 they were doing repaving so there was some excess tar on the roads.. had to pull over and make sure none got on the car but it was all good. If I was to do it over again I would probably just trailer it behind the truck!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts