Maserati Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

Long time GT owner, recently sold was a 2015, and I am looking at the market for a QP 2014-2016. I am renting one this weekend from Turo to see how it fits with the family. The main reason was the GT just was not baby friendly and I noticed I was not driving very often with my family, so she just sat since I have a newborn.

the QP seems to check all the boxes! I love the room, and the 500 HP motor of the GTS seems awesome.

Can you guys give me some hints when shopping? I know the GranTurismo like the back of my hand and am happy to return the favor if you are moving to that direction.

I see cars with 40k miles for around 32-39k nationwide. Is this high? Should I wait for the dip? If I can get one for 30-31k seems reasonable, but again I havent watched the QP market.

Any issues to watch for?

Thanks in advance!
Chris

· Registered
164 Posts
Unless the QP has been garaged kept, with less than 20k miles and only driven to church on Sundays I wouldn’t advise buying one that old, unless your able to spend large amounts on repairs. This is coming from one who works on them daily. I can count on one hand how many 2014/2016 QP’s or Ghibli’s I would consider buying. I suggest paying little more for a newer model that’s been very well kept. You will be way ahead in the long run.

· Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unless the QP has been garaged kept, with less than 20k miles and only driven to church on Sundays I wouldn’t advise buying one that old, unless your able to spend large amounts on repairs. This is coming from one who works on them daily. I can count on one hand how many 2014/2016 QP’s or Ghibli’s I would consider buying. I suggest paying little more for a newer model that’s been very well kept. You will be way ahead in the long run.
I am surprised to hear that. The ones I have been looking at are around 30k miles, both garaged and immaculate. What goes bad? The turbos? I never had one single issue with my GT, and it was a dated platform. This is discouraging to say the least.

· Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Like I said in first post unless it’s been garage kept or immaculately kept, think twice. I would be looking at the Levante myself with the 3.8 L.
I appreciate your replies. I am just curious what do you normally see as failing in this model? Turbos? Is the garage kept requirement to avoid components becoming weathered and corroded? Is this because Chrysler had their hand in these models? I am on the West Coast so we dont see the type of weather that most see. I am shopping cars on this side of the world for this reason. Thanks!

· Registered
164 Posts
I appreciate your replies. I am just curious what do you normally see as failing in this model? Turbos? Is the garage kept requirement to avoid components becoming weathered and corroded? Is this because Chrysler had their hand in these models? I am on the West Coast so we dont see the type of weather that most see. I am shopping cars on this side of the world for this reason. Thanks!
I live in east Texas, weather and humidly are very hard on the Ghibli and QP interiors. Dashboards and door trim panels start to separate. Suspension, ie control arms, weak springs, multi link suspension parts in the rear and tire wear due to suspension bushing wear are in for repair often. Brakes only last for 12k miles. The engines don’t give us much trouble, only a few turbos have been replaced in our shop. 2014-2017 radio updates for the navigation are no longer available due to possibly bricking the radio. There are of course other small things that go wrong but that would apply to all vehicles.

If you can find one with nice interior and has been well maintained go for it, but be advised that there are suspension issues. Nothing money can’t fix. All that said, I still prefer the Levante.

7,644 Posts
I know the OP isn't a fan, but that is ok...I don't think I'm as rough as Joe on a QP GTS...He sees a lot more than me no doubt...I kinda love those cars..Big bad engine...Lots of power all over the place...There is some issues with interior quality and if you leave them sit in the sun, you'll soon have bacon dash as Joe mentioned...I have seen 2 cars that need variators...That is a major deal as the timing chain is at the rear like an Audi..You don't want that kinda pain...Overall no car is perfect...Get an aftermarket warranty and keep it out of the sun...J

· Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I live in east Texas, weather and humidly are very hard on the Ghibli and QP interiors. Dashboards and door trim panels start to separate. Suspension, ie control arms, weak springs, multi link suspension parts in the rear and tire wear due to suspension bushing wear are in for repair often. Brakes only last for 12k miles. The engines don’t give us much trouble, only a few turbos have been replaced in our shop. 2014-2017 radio updates for the navigation are no longer available due to possibly bricking the radio. There are of course other small things that go wrong but that would apply to all vehicles.

If you can find one with nice interior and has been well maintained go for it, but be advised that there are suspension issues. Nothing money can’t fix. All that said, I still prefer the Levante.
Thanks Yes I went thru the stickies on my 2015 GT from Texas. It wasnt too bad yet, but I replaced most everything with Carbon Fiber. This one I am looking at has a great interior, always garaged. Brakes are not an issue. I appreciate the inside scoop! I love the knowledge in this forum!

· Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know the OP isn't a fan, but that is ok...I don't think I'm as rough as Joe on a QP GTS...He sees a lot more than me no doubt...I kinda love those cars..Big bad engine...Lots of power all over the place...There is some issues with interior quality and if you leave them sit in the sun, you'll soon have bacon dash as Joe mentioned...I have seen 2 cars that need variators...That is a major deal as the timing chain is at the rear like an Audi..You don't want that kinda pain...Overall no car is perfect...Get an aftermarket warranty and keep it out of the sun...J
Thanks Jason, I was hoping you would see this post also. Yup, gonna get the Maserati Warranty as its being sold at a dealership. I figure that safeguards me a bit, although I know others have said sometimes they try to keep out of paying.

Always will be garaged. The variators is surprising. Will have to look into that!

Thanks again!

· Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would try to rent one from Turo to get an idea, but recognize that is going to be a beat on car...We fix those cars and they can be a hot mess..J
Yup I pick it up tommorow and have it two days. For 95$ a day couldnt go wrong.

The one thing that worries me, I am 6,4 and my ex had a Ghibli. I had to move the seat back so far that the b pillar was always blocking my view. I swear I almost pulled into traffic a few times. Never had that problem with my GT obviously. But still sits i my head!

· Registered
22 Posts
Makes perfect sense to me. I don't believe in generics or stereotyping, but when I look at older models, they tend to have more "deferred" maintenance and repairs than newer models, and obviously more wear and tear items which will need repair/replacement sooner. Buying a newer model and paying more -- if you buy right -- gives you a higher probability of being ahead in the long run. Thanks.

· Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Congratulations! Where did you find the car? Locally?

Did you end up getting the warranty as you thought you would? Thanks and all the best!
Thanks! I actually found it thru mutual social media friends. It came from a fellow enthusiast and once I saw it for sale, I jumped on it.

I was getting tired of the dealers and shadiness. It has been exhausting. All the cars were passed around and all had stories. Then trying to even get updated pics was like asking for the world.

So I didn't get the warranty since its a Private Party sale, but I did get a ton of service records and know the full history. So that's where I am at now. Thanks for asking!

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

· Registered
22 Posts
Thanks! I actually found it thru mutual social media friends. It came from a fellow enthusiast and once I saw it for sale, I jumped on it.

I was getting tired of the dealers and shadiness. It has been exhausting. All the cars were passed around and all had stories. Then trying to even get updated pics was like asking for the world.

So I didn't get the warranty since its a Private Party sale, but I did get a ton of service records and know the full history. So that's where I am at now. Thanks for asking!

View attachment 145532
Beautiful car! Low mileage, extensive service records, and full history! Very nice. I think I heard something about a new Maserati warranty program coming out (from Maserati). Congratulations again and enjoy it!!!

· Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Beautiful car! Low mileage, extensive service records, and full history! Very nice. I think I heard something about a new Maserati warranty program coming out (from Maserati). Congratulations again and enjoy it!!!
Well, My Joy was short-lived. Within the first weekend, it appears that I either picked up bad gas at a reputable station, or it was dumb luck. It seems that I have a stuck injector, #5. The fix is complete fuel rail. Myswell do both sides since everything will be apart. Even with a PPI, there is no way to predict this would happen. I am getting the fuel sent to lab to test. this is about 6k when all said and done.

I am bumping an old thread that has the same issues. seems to be common in these earlier cars.

Well, thats my Quattroporte ownership experience so far, Will keep everyone posted.

· Registered
22 Posts
Well, My Joy was short-lived. Within the first weekend, it appears that I either picked up bad gas at a reputable station, or it was dumb luck. It seems that I have a stuck injector, #5. The fix is complete fuel rail. Myswell do both sides since everything will be apart. Even with a PPI, there is no way to predict this would happen. I am getting the fuel sent to lab to test. this is about 6k when all said and done.

I am bumping an old thread that has the same issues. seems to be common in these earlier cars.

Well, thats my Quattroporte ownership experience so far, Will keep everyone posted.
I am so sorry to hear this. So, there is no way to see this coming? Nothing? Anything? This is why I am so nervous about buying one. I've been looking and looking and can't seem to find a good one, properly cared for, maintained, serviced, etc. Good luck! Keep us posted!

· Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I am so sorry to hear this. So, there is no way to see this coming? Nothing? Anything? This is why I am so nervous about buying one. I've been looking and looking and can't seem to find a good one, properly cared for, maintained, serviced, etc. Good luck! Keep us posted!
Thabks BoNj. I cant speak from a mechanical experience, but I honestly think it was pure bad luck. The injectors are on Superceded part #3, so Maserati/Ferrari knew they had an issue with them. Just happened to be after I took delivery.

Oh well. It is absolutely a joy now to drive. Such a rocket ship. Gotta pay to play. Older I get the less I let these little things ruin my day. Lifes too short! Keep looking and make your best choice with a PPi and history etc.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts