Maserati Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading so many threads lately from Maser owners on whether or not it is a good idea to annually replace the F-1 relays on our cars, I spoke today with Service Writer Mitch at Ferrari-Maserati of Orange County (California). That dealership has done all the service on my 2003 Coupe CC and Mitch has always been a "straightshooter" with me. After confirming with him (via check of my VIN#) that my car has received all of the F-1 clutch software updates over the years, I asked Mitch his opinion of the annual replacement of the F-1 relay. He said that Maserati neither recommends for or against it. He said his Technicians typically only replace the relay when they replace the pump itself. He said for those who decide to do it more often, the part is about $90 and the labor would be about $60, for a total of about $150. FYI.:)

·
Registered
67 Posts
carmine please be advised or to any one out there who is in the process of replacing a F1 pump.... Check your fuse first because i have had a little inside info were technicians misdiagnose a bad pump for a bad fuse witch the fuse is located right next to the relay, this fuse has been known to pop at times when your battery dies and you attempt to jump start your car... then it wont start you take it to your dealer in this case (FMOC) then they look at the pump pressure 0 bar but its only a blown fuse so please be careful. hope this helps any extra tips on your car shoot me an email... [email protected]

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
excellent tip Dave - could save us all thousands....

Reactions: CecilG

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info...........

Dave:

I apppreciate your input. At this point, I am just trying to decide whether or not I want to replace my F-1 relay AS PART OF PREVENTIVE MAINTENANCE. I'm under the impression that the only downsides are the relatively small cost involved (+/- $150), but the upsides might be great in that replacing the relay every so often MAY increase the life of the pump.

What's your take on periodic replacement of an otherwise properly working F-1 pump? I would appreciate any ideas from others of you as well.

Thanks. :)

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oops!!!!

Dave:

Sorry, I meant to say, what are your thoughts on periodic replacement of the F-1 pump RELAY.

·
Registered
742 Posts
If it ain't broke DON'T Fix it...

I have a brand new relay as I was going to "maintain" the relay yearly on my 04 CC.

However, after speaking with TWO great service guys at Maserati, I decided against it. I have longer posts explaining the details, long story short.

Maserati realized they had a problem and switched relays and fuses mid production and depending on your car and your software you maight need a certain relay that is in a certain location. Not something you want to mess with because apparently the wrong combination can do damage to your ECU

Both service men told me replacing the relay does not extend the life of your pump.

I have a brand new relay if anyone is interested. I use it as a paper weight.

At 22,000 miles she runs like a top. I am not going to mess with her..

CM

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Indecision continues......

Chris:

Thanks for the input.

Just to be clear, if I opt to have the F-1 pump relay replaced as preventive maintenance it was always my intent to have a FM Service Department perform the work. I know there is at least 1 former FM Tehnician that contributes to this Forum, I'm hoping that he (or others) will chime in with their 2 cents to help me make my decision. My local FM delarship (FMOC - CA) has advised me my 2003 Coupe CC has received all the F-1 software updates, but I don't know about which Relay it has?????:confused:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Chris:

Thanks for the input.

Just to be clear, if I opt to have the F-1 pump relay replaced as preventive maintenance it was always my intent to have a FM Service Department perform the work. I know there is at least 1 former FM Tehnician that contributes to this Forum, I'm hoping that he (or others) will chime in with their 2 cents to help me make my decision. My local FM delarship (FMOC - CA) has advised me my 2003 Coupe CC has received all the F-1 software updates, but I don't know about which Relay it has?????:confused:
the odds are if you already instaled a new F1 pump you have the updated relay. if not then you probably dont have the updated relay and as of experience, i have noticed that later on in the life of the pump if it is not replace and neither is the relay these relays have been known to stick even if you shut your car off the pump will stay on and fail due to a sticky relay. so i would advise you to do so and go ahead and replace the relay as an annual service, but to tell you the truth i would be more worried about the F1 fluid that should be changed every year, i dont know why the factory does not recommend this, at 8-10k miles the f1 fluid is filthy and contaminated. please do not forget to flush your F1 sytem it will dramatically improve the life of the mechanism and clutch and reduce the fauilure of the T/O Bearing. As for the techs in MOC treat them good, God knows their dealer doesn't! thats why one of their best Maserati Technicians left, well glad i could help : )

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Getting close to a decision

Chris:

Thanks much for the info. According to the records on my car (maintenance book and Dealership), neither my F-1 pump nor it's relay have ever been changed on my 2003 Coupe CC. I bought the car 2 years old from the original owner at 8,900 miles. The first thing I did was to have FMOC change ALL the fluids. I now have just over 11,000 miles on it. It runs perfectly; I always drive in the "sport" mode. I thought by replacing the relay I could prolong the life of the F-1 pump. I am really getting the impression from all the Forum folks and the FM dealership that that may NOT be the case. I guess, bottomline, is, no harm can be done by annual changing of the relay, but don't expect that effort alone to prolong the life of the pump.

If ANY of you disagree, I'd still like to hear from you.:confused:

·
Registered
141 Posts
I think MC Dave has stated a strong case for PM of the fluid. Yes the relays are known to stick, so changing it periodically can not hurt.
As far as actually changing the relay it is VERY simple.
Remove the battery panel and above and forward of the battery you will see the lone gray Tyco v23134-b57-x203 relay mounted on the unitbody (you can remove the entire panel easily for more access). Carefully remove and install new. Labor time w/o panel removel is about 5 minutes, 10 w/ panel.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
11 Posts
F-1 pump replacement

After reading so many threads lately from Maser owners on whether or not it is a good idea to annually replace the F-1 relays on our cars, I spoke today with Service Writer Mitch at Ferrari-Maserati of Orange County (California). That dealership has done all the service on my 2003 Coupe CC and Mitch has always been a "straightshooter" with me. After confirming with him (via check of my VIN#) that my car has received all of the F-1 clutch software updates over the years, I asked Mitch his opinion of the annual replacement of the F-1 relay. He said that Maserati neither recommends for or against it. He said his Technicians typically only replace the relay when they replace the pump itself. He said for those who decide to do it more often, the part is about $90 and the labor would be about $60, for a total of about $150. FYI.:)
I just have my F-1 pump replaced by Central Jersey FM. The 2004 CC has only 32,000 miles on it. It cost $2500 for the F-1 pump replacement plus a $500 oil change and other shop and towing cost. I learned my lesion and I will check the fuse, F-1 relay periodically.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
F-1 Relay Purchase

You can purchase the F-1 relay from your FM dealership - my local dealership is FMOC (Orange County, CA). Their quote to me was about $90 for the part. Also, RicambiAmerica sells the relay for $82.40. You can go to the Ricambi website and actually see the part in a schematic. I don't know which Maser you have, but I have a 2003 Coupe CC and my part number is 155437. Ruicambi has all the part numbers for all the Maseratis and Ferraris. Their website is easy to navigate. Good luck.:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts