Maserati Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
so how is this transmission different from a cc? you can put it into manual mode and shift with steering wheel paddles, is it just an improved auto mode cc?

·
Registered
528 Posts
The cc uses a convetional clutch ( pressure plate, Fiber Disc, Flywheel), while the new trans uses a fluid filled torque converter.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Fred said:
The cc uses a convetional clutch ( pressure plate, Fiber Disc, Flywheel), while the new trans uses a fluid filled torque converter.
Like ALL Ferrari F1 transmissions (and some SMG's) :D

·
Registered
48 Posts
Yeah it'll probably work like every other freakin' auto/tip-manual mode that exists out there, now. I've seen them from BM to Lexus to Infiniti. I got an Audi Q7 "S-Line" for my wife to drive and the thing has the paddle set-up. If you push the auto stick to the right then it goes to manual, the suspension stiffens and you have to shift using the wheel mounted paddles "like Shuuuuuumaka". Come on, it's an SUV. Their in four door sedans too.. Kinda takes the coolness out of it when every other soccermom can rev and shift like you do, but oh well.

·
Registered
34 Posts
we had a VW Bug that had that, my g.f. jeep has that, I even have sport shifting in my Range Rover.

The 911 F1 is a true clutch shift isn't it?

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Lue said:
we had a VW Bug that had that, my g.f. jeep has that, I even have sport shifting in my Range Rover.

The 911 F1 is a true clutch shift isn't it?
Lue, The CC transmission is just like a manual with a clutch pedal except the computer controls the clutch for you (there is no clutch pedal). This is the exact setup as the paddle shifted F1 race cars. As you flip the UP paddle, the computer clutches and shifts to the next higher gear in far less time than you could do it manually (this gives paddle shifted cars a slight elapsed time advantage over the manually shifted ones). This is NOT to be confused with an automatic transmission with sport shifting. The negative of the CC is it *sometimes* eats clutches faster than a 6MT.

·
Registered
518 Posts
unless porsche changed in the new body to that...my mother has an 05 carrera and the tiptronic is definately a true automatic

·
Registered
722 Posts
Porsche's DSG-Carrera will be out next year, along with a HP increase from direct injection. I'm hoping they plan to load these into the Cayman someday too....

·
Registered
909 Posts
I've driven an Audi TT redline with the DSG, and liked it. Overall its a great transmission, the only wierdness is a lag in the accelerator, which wasn't terrible, but apparent in my short drive. I've heard it can be as bad as 400ms. Has anyone heard what clutch life is like with these transmissions? Being wet plat vs dry plate, two clutches, being engaged in the background, and the predictive engagement, I'm curious what the long-term usage is like.

·
Registered
528 Posts
The first rule of Engineering is KISS.
(Keep it simple, stupid)

The DSG seems to violate this rule.

Engineering problems seem to arise when one technology interfaces with another. Given that ths DSG is Mechanical, Electronic and Hydraulic, there are plenty of interfaces to go wrong.

·
Registered
909 Posts
KISS is one of my favorites.

I think that's one of the brilliant things about the Maser CC\DS setup, in that its a pretty standard manual transmission, and the hydraulic controls interface with the same mechanical points that a shifter or clutch pedal used to. It seems that they've really only needed to add some sensors to keep the computers happy.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Not meaning to jack the thread, maybe we'll get back to the new coupe later but whatever...From what I understand, the only "REAL" F1 paddle clutch/shift is the Ferrari F1 set-up like in the 360mo, F430, Enzo and 599gtb, closely followed by the Lambos and their E-gear and Maser's Cambiocorsa. The "auto" option is only an afterthought that forces the tranny to do all of the work with working the clutch and shifting but it really isn't an automatic at all, just programmed to try to shift without using the paddles (hence the quick clutch burn and jerky shifting when your wife uses it). Funny how people complain when they didn't buy the car for cruising anyway. All of these other cars, Porsche included, are set-up the other way around. Pure auto-trans with a manual shift option so the average Joe can feel cool knowing he can dictate the the shifting. Sort of like the "old school" drag-race in the "Stang" with the automatic stick in 1, then pushin it to 2 then D... Do you ever notice the lag time in shifting when you try to downshift into a turn and blast out, revving to almost redline, hit the paddle and nothing happens until the car bounces off the limiter, cause its too slow in changing? Well, maybe thats just me, but it happened to me in my buddy's porsh, he almost killed me while I was complaining about his Tiptronic and why it's not a real racers' car. Ferrari's, Masers and Lambo's gear changes are almost instantaneous, I think that's the difference.

·
Registered
34 Posts
but, the 997T is faster in the tip than in the manual. Oh well, I still think the down shift throttle blips are cool. :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts