Maserati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ahve always done just bolt on, easily reversible stuff, mainly because I am NOT handy, and I did not want to pay others to put it on and off; some of you swap out seats; interiors and even head units for the stereo; I know it looks great but aren't most folks like us buying high end cars anal about stock stuff? It sounds like most of you intend to keep the car long term so this is NOT an issue; for me I am in and out of every "play car" within 1 year plus or minus......I always note the ads' that read....$70K in upgrades, selling for $50K, we all know you never really get all if any of your money back so it is surely for your personal enjoyment, how do you all feel? Dogdoc

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
A good rule of thumb is to make sure you reverse any mod before resale but make the upgrades available for a price. This way you get what the car's worth plus you may actually make some money on the mods. I was very careful to just "tap" the wires when doing the NIT replacement so the stock NIT can be reconnected easily. However, knowing the coupe's lackluster audio system, the Alpine unit is probably a viable valuable upgrade.

·
Registered
660 Posts
A good rule of thumb is to make sure you reverse any mod before resale but make the upgrades available for a price. This way you get what the car's worth plus you may actually make some money on the mods. I was very careful to just "tap" the wires when doing the NIT replacement so the stock NIT can be reconnected easily. However, knowing the coupe's lackluster audio system, the Alpine unit is probably a viable valuable upgrade.
IMHO upgrades are for your enjoyment, and in the end it does not really matter if you get what you've invested back or not... as a general rule, you don't. It could make on car more desirable than another (e.g., the audio integration engineered by Buzz... everything else roughly equal) but you have to see that as money spent for your enjoyment. Once you part away with the car, you could assume any residual value is gone...

·
Registered
69 Posts
A Tubi seems to be an exception to the general rule and can often help a car get a premium when time to sell.

Other mods can be a turn off to many buyers and will often limit the pool of bidders on your car. However if you find someone who likes your mods, they very well may pay a premium for it. You'll just need to be patient and wait for that buyer.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
tubi is good mod.
wheels are bad useless hurt resale mod.

at a certain point, a totally un-modified classic is better than one that is put together.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Buyers rightly worry about the quality of the work on the mods. Face it, too many are not fully worked out. They also worry about ability to get service on custom work. If it's just a bolt-on that doesn't affect other systems, like Tubi, there's not much worry. If you mod your car, you will alienate a number of potential buyers and you will not recover your costs. You may, however, enjoy the car more having altered it to your preferences. I don't see the point in wheels and other styling items. This is a Maserati, not a BMW. You don't really need to differentiate yours from all the "others" on the road by tacking on bling.

Now, my greatest enjoyment comes when I switch off the audio and enjoy the driving. The audio setup isn't my cup of tea. Hell, there's no way it will ever come close to my home audio setup. If I want to enjoy music, I'll stay home. Sure, I listen sometimes but don't expect it to add to the experience of driving a Maserati. So, I would worry about such mods and wouldn't see value added. It does look like a cool achievement, though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts