Maserati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is from the recreating the wheel department. Spending a bit of time on a low production run car stereo upgrade, installing a modern AV receiver in my 2004 Spyder.

When I started to have intermittent issues with the LCD dash display, I decided to do a stereo upgrade. I want to keep the HVAC display, panel lighting and the trip page of the current system. So, I gathered up the parts to do a similar installation of the Kenwood system that Doug (sprockemensch on this forum) designed. Although I have the Kenwood parts and bezel from Doug, I may go a different route. I also have disassembled a modern Pioneer double DIN iPhone compatible unit and hope to install the touch screen LCD I the dash instead. As Doug did, I will bury the existing Maserati LCD unit behind the glove box and remote some of the functionality.

Instead of breaking the video signal, as Doug did, I am going to grab the signal and convert it and send it to a video input of the stereo that I use. Then I will be able to see the factory Maserati display on my aftermarket stereo.

Thus far, with the assistance of a hardware design EE friend, we researched NIT connectors and obtained parts and made a test board to allow uninterrupted signal scanning. The connectors are high-speed data connectors made for automotive applications from Hirose (Japan). We probed each wire and identified the RGB+Sync signal. The sync wire only contains the horizontal sync information and the vertical sync information must be extracted from the RGB signals. All RGB have a well-defined sync/blanking interval that we should be able to process. The RGB signals appear to have well-defined sync at 0V, black around 250mV, and maximum brightness around 500 mV. The vertical and horizontal timing seems to be NTSC compatible.

Next steps are to confirm voltage levels from the many data files we have (CSV and image files) and design an NTSC video converter board with a male and female Hirose connector to allow uninterrupted extraction of the video signal between the NIT and the display. This signal will be sent to an auxiliary video input on a modern car stereo unit (hopefully the Pioneer) via an RCA cable.

I took the existing LCD unit apart and installed wires for the trip page button, emergency flasher button and the trip-reset push button. I have obtained small switches and tested the installation. The switches will be mounted in the new bezel.

Simultaneously, I have been solid modeling a new bezel for the dash to contain the removed double DIN LCD from the Pioneer unit. I am also researching whether the signal is amplified enough in the Pioneer unit to separate the display and hide the rest in the trunk. It won’t fit under the passenger seat and there isn’t enough room under the dash.

More to post as I progress.

Attachments

·
Registered
671 Posts
let me know if you need help.
I'd love to do it with mine 05 spyder. That 15 year old tech is such a waste of space and resources. Have you thought of repurposing the current screen and buttons?
I like the physical buttons a lot more than touch screen interface. The only reason they make touch screen these days is that it is much cheaper to produce....

·
Registered
226 Posts
interesting stuff.
Would be great if you could 'simply' replace the existing display, for a more up to date higher resolution touch screen display, of the same size, keeping all the original buttons, so you could then keep everything original, or flick a switch for displaying another input source.

Actually I would be quite happy if I could flick a switch and display another input source on the original screen using something like this:
Universal RGB Video Interface. Car Multimedia Adapter

I'm sure its possible, just don't have sufficient electronic knowledge!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a car electronics shop west of Washington dc. I have a customer that has a Maserati spyder cab. they want me to add car play to the car.
I can do it. I just need the video wire pinouts from the grey plug on the screen (I believe this is the video input to the faceplate)

we can also repair the ask amplifiers in this car.

thanks in advance

when I do this I will make the data and parts available to all in forum.

gary woodward
hurleys autoaudio
mclean, va
[email protected]

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i have the info. send me a PM, fil

·
Registered
18 Posts
An old thread but maybe of interest to some. For those wanting to move the NIT & screen, and replace with something more modern, but retain display of system data:

I used one of these:

The NIT & screen were moved to the boot and a new NIT cable made. The RGBs signals were diverted to the module and I used the composite output to the new stereo. I didn't want direct control of the NIT itself, which others have done, but for a good quality image this board works very nicely. A little soldering is required and comes as PAL compatible but the vendor also supplied FOC the required NTSC oscillator.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Unfortunately no more available :-(

Can you confirm that you moved the screen and the NIT all the way to the truck, and the signal was strong enough to facilitate? Did you use a simple ribbon cable, or something else?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi Sanmiam, yes, both NIT & original info-screen are in the left hand corner of the trunk. Where the CD changer used to be. Using awg 22 multicore shielded cables, with appropriate connectors, to extend the original wiring. Been in for a while and not had any issues with signal strength nor interference. Only added the RGB module recently though but so far so good.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Forgot to mention the original NIT cable has also been extended to the trunk. Giving the option to put the info-screen back in the dash - if required. Just have to swap a few connectors about. The install was designed to be reversible so everything is plug n play without cutting or splicing.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The module is still available on the vendor's website:

If you prefer the "comfort" of eBay perhaps ask him to relist. He's called Pete and is a good guy to deal with.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Some will want to go with a new head unit and stereo which may cost thousands.

I am running the factory Auditorium 2000 and it sounds good. Everyone who rides in my car compliments the sound

The Loudlink Bluetooth that impersonates the CD changer pairs with my phone reliably and delivers high quality music and high quality hands free calls. It is about $200 and easy to install.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
7 Participants
CoupeCambioChicago
Maserati Forum
We’re a forum to discuss the Maserati Coupé, Spyder, GranTurismo, Ghibli, Quattroporte and more!
Full Forum Listing