Maserati Forum banner

Mixing Synthetic Engine Oils

3K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  sc00b 
#1 ·
I did my oil change recently using Pennzoil 5W-40 European Formula and an OEM filter from the dealer ($37 from Maserati Indianapolis). All went well, but the 9 quarts only filled the dipstick to the halfway mark.

Needless to say, Advanced Auto screwed up my oil order and I didn’t look closely enough. I’ve added about 700ml of a 5W-30 Euro formula that’s API SN and ACEA C3 specced (our cars take ACEA A3 and B3/B4).

Will this be an issue? I haven’t started the car yet. I would have to wait for new oil until Monday.

Decided to post as it may be beneficial for someone down the road stuck somewhere with low oil light and no recommended oil anywhere.

#4 ·
Cool...The most important point about changing the oil is changing the oil...I don't care about the brand, the spec, the marketing, etc...It all just gets dirty and filled with by-products after a bit so the best thing you can do is just change it...You're fine with a 5k interval..J

#7 · (Edited)
Like Jason said, no problem at all .
Hell, I’ve even mixed different weights of synthetic oils ( a 5q to 2q ratio I think ) once or twice in my Porsche and the engine did not explode ..must be a miracle !;)
And you can mix all top brands without concern : Amsoil, Motul, RedLine, etc. , just stay away from “ Our own special brand “ or “ Bubba’s oil “ bargain priced oil sometimes found on the bottom shelf of auto parts stores or gas stations .

#8 ·
Mixing oils won't kill you. This isn't a top spec race engine with zero tolerance specs. As long as it's quality oil it's fine.

I got a low oil light and topped it off with a quart of Mobil One synthetic i had in the garage and it wasn't the same as what was in the engine. Nothing happened other than my low oil light turned off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.