Maserati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I went ahead and took my front drivers-side wheel off, then the inner plastic fender, to gain access to the back of the light assembly in hopes of getting some type of brush or spray in there to remove a film which has developed on the inside of the clear lens. The film really ages the look of the front end, as the "brightwork" is no longer that bright. Anyway, I took the plastic caps off both the HID and incandescent lights, but alas, there is no decent access to the area in front of the light lenses. As has been previously posted, these assemblies appear to have been designed without the abililty to gain access to the front cavity after being installed in the car. I had to try.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Lens cleaning

I'm considering taking the car to a body shop to investigate options. If the unit is one sealed piece then I probably won't have greater luck. However, if it can be removed, disassembled, cleaned and reassembled . . . that has got to be be more cost efficient than the cost of a new assembly. As you suggested . . . The dust in the housing significantly detracts from the cars' otherwise magnificant appearance. This is really a product design defect and Maserati should repair this at not cost in light of the fact that they claim the assembly to be "sealed".

·
Registered
357 Posts
All headlights eventually get crummy looking. Reflectors dull, lenses get pitted, grime finds its way in. It always sucks and replacing functional but dingy lights to "brighten up the look" is never pleasant. I feel your pain.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Not dingy at all

That's just it . . . my lights aren't dingy at all. The lights are bright, clear etc. It's just that there is dust on the inside of the outter most plastic cover. If the cover could be opened and "dusted" the lights would be perfect.
It kinda like when your car is clean, polished, waxed and is sitting in the garage without a cover for a couple of weeks . . . collects dust. Only, with the the lights you can't dust off the dust cause IT'S INSIDE THE FREAKIN COVER.

·
Registered
11 Posts
new headlamp assembly

I had a rock whack the one on my Driver's side - had to be replaced. I think the cost was about $3k - so replacing these for dust is.. pricey.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Dust..

That's just it . . . my lights aren't dingy at all. The lights are bright, clear etc. It's just that there is dust on the inside of the outter most plastic cover. If the cover could be opened and "dusted" the lights would be perfect.
It kinda like when your car is clean, polished, waxed and is sitting in the garage without a cover for a couple of weeks . . . collects dust. Only, with the the lights you can't dust off the dust cause IT'S INSIDE THE FREAKIN COVER.
How about getting a high pressure air line in there ? move it around enough and surely the dust will find an apperture to exit from ?

Alternatively, you could send in a nano bot with a can of Mr Sheen (other types of polish are available..)

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
How about getting a high pressure air line in there ? move it around enough and surely the dust will find an apperture to exit from ?

Alternatively, you could send in a nano bot with a can of Mr Sheen (other types of polish are available..)
The problem is the nano bot's run about $30 million plus the $1 million to get Mr Sheen to design a nano can of polish. Buy a new car!

·
Registered
274 Posts
Hi guys , answer to your question the lights are sealed units , right buggers to take out aswell , a few hours job just for one i can tell you ,and a few bruised knuckles in the process and some swearing, as some of you may be aware i bought a slight damaged coupe the previos owner spun it and caused cosmetic damge no real hard shunt so i bought all 2006 gransort wings bonnet bumpers and side skirts, headlights are an arm and a leg to buy , in the uk $1700 each yeah ouch so along with the gs stuff i purchased the headlights for $1600 the pair but hey they were red and my car is silver,
What i had to do was open them up along the original seem with a tool like a dremmel with a cutting saw blade very carefully. Worked a treat , lights now all resprayed silver and resealed you would never know , but what a palava.

I would definately give the airline a try first tho best of luck

Regards loz

1 - 8 of 8 Posts