Maserati Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...everytime I use my microwave the alarm in my '04 Coupe goes goes off...it's not a huge deal b'c it's in my garage and I don't have to lock it but it is kind of quirky...anyone ever heard of this or experience it? (My neighbors hate it when I make popcorn....).

·
Registered
94 Posts
i've seen it happen before, you can try turn down the sensitivity of the sensors located in the a-pillars but i dont think that would help much

·
Registered
130 Posts
It's funny--I just got my Maserati and joined ML and it's the third forum where I've seen this problem come up. I had the exact same thing happen with my Toyota Spyder, which has a factory alarm with an intrusion sensor. After about a year of scratching my head at seemingly random alarms, I realized one day that it was being triggered by microwave ovens. It was then explained to me that the intrusion sensor uses radar, which is essentially microwaves. Thus, it's not altogether surprising that some cars are sensitive enough for such interference. In my case, the car would be parked directly below my kitchen and the microwave did the trick every time. So far, the Maserati Spyder has not been triggered by the microwave, even parked in the same spot with the top down.

I know several other MR2 people this happened to and I know it's come up on the Lotus board as well. The solution was easy with my Toyota, as it has a switch that deactivates the intrusion sensor. As far as I know, the Maseratis do not have such a switch. You may have to resort to parking without arming your car, or at least chirping it before you use the microwave.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanx for the 411 guys....

..at least now I know I'm not the only one...(and GCalo, I'll def keep the car out of the microwave, what an ez fix..I wish all my issues were that obvious..!)

·
Registered
793 Posts
Microwaves operate on RF signals.

Your alarm does the same.

Not uncommon to have RF problems with many items.

RF remotes with home theater equip can be a nightmare as well.

No real suggestion other than trying the microwave on a different AC circuit. You might also try a Panamax `Max2 surge protector. They are about $35.00. The surge filtration may bock the RF from the microwave from passing through the line.

Your home electrical wiring is acting as an antenna, and it's getting the signal to your car. Maybe the surge protector will work.

Where do you park your car in relation to the location of the microwave?

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Microwave Masi

...makes sense...the car sits in the garage at my house which for all intensive purposes is right in front of the kitchen so the micro is literally facing the vehicle, it's funny b'c I just got the car a month ago, (my first foray from my former Porsche infatuation to Masi), and my g'f told me everytime she used the micro the alarm went off and i told her she was nuts, it must be the cats...but she was (painfully) right as i found out pretty quickly with a few tests....still tho, it has to penetrate dry wall, cinder block and more dry wall...i'll try the surge protector idea...if not, i don't really have to lock the car....just habit.

·
Registered
793 Posts
RF waves can penetrate much.

Try turning the microwave 45 degrees etc. It takes a bit of work to find a solution.

Try backing the car in for a while.

Just keep trying various options no matter how ridiculous they seem.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Microwave Masi

...well the micro's built in the wall so that's one's kinda tough but i could try and back the car in...... just another excuse to take it out for a ride~

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Microwave Masi

Lol, thx BFoot, good suggestion and I assure you the micro will go way b4 the Coupe does.

·
Registered
130 Posts
You know, I was just making my way through my owner's manual last night and it turns out there is a procedure for arming the alarm without activating the intrusion sensor, at least for an '04 Spyder. As I recall, you have to hold down the key remote button for 3 seconds. It's meant for when you want to lock the car but leave a child or pet inside (not really a good idea, but I guess it's nice of them to give us the option).

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Try making a tent out of aluminum foil and place it on top of the car like you're roasting a turkey. The microwaves will bounce off the foil.....(ok - just kidding).

·
Registered
130 Posts
Try making a tent out of aluminum foil and place it on top of the car like you're roasting a turkey. The microwaves will bounce off the foil.....(ok - just kidding).
Clearly you've never seen what happens when you put aluminum foil in the microwave... :)

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
aluminum foil

Hey thx Vince...it worked great..(ok well kind of....the garage exploded)... but the alarm....man, quiet as a mouse!

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
3 second rule.....

hey Lionel, works like a charm, you just hold it down and little beeeep comes on, and it's locked w/out the sensors inside, (and i promise to never use it for kids or pets!), thx allot Scott

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.