Maserati Forum banner

61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
This is old school track basics, a 10 minute job. It will cost you nothing except a little time and some paying attention. You will know what your car is doing in day or 2 or a few minutes if you have a place to drive it.
Here is the process:
Take a piece of chalk or a crayon, something that you can see on your tires. Mark the center of the tire thread and extend the chalk marks past the tread onto the sidewall of your tires. Do it in a couple of places on the inside and the outside of the tires. Go drive, drive like you normally do or a little harder. Look at your tires. See how much of the tire chalk has worn off. Add air pressure until the worn off chalk stays on the tread where you expect it to, not on the sidewalls.

I can't tell you how many times I've been to track days and saw brand new, proud corvette owners with their cars and their new tires were all chewed up because they had no idea that Mfg recomended air pressure would not be adequate for their driving. These cars have the same problem, they are heavy and that weight can easily over whelm your tires. If you still are scrubbing the side walls after adjusting the air pressure then you have an alignment issue. Good luck.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Alignment shop noticed Caster was extremely off, but didn't see any damage that would have thrown it off. Something I'll probably take to the dealer to review further.

The shop mentioned alignment was performed within Maserati specs while focused on honing in on optimal tread wear.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Alignment shop noticed Caster was extremely off, but didn't see any damage that would have thrown it off. Something I'll probably take to the dealer to review further.

The shop mentioned alignment was performed within Maserati specs while focused on honing in on optimal tread wear.

View attachment 130597
I'm adjusting my rear Camber closer to -1.0 next week...

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Took the rear camber to -1.5°
Rear toe changed slightly so we'll see what happens in another 5k to 10k miles 👍
20200413_161750.jpg

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I have noticed that the new rear camber settings of -1.5 (tires more vertical) makes the car feel like it 'wanders' left to right at interstate speeds. Doesn't track with the same stability as it did with the previous -2.1 camber. So, i'm torn between deciding if i like the more negative -2.1 camber that has slight inside tire wear...or this new -1.5 camber that will wear the tires more evenly across the tread pattern, hmmm :unsure:

·
Registered
138 Posts
Go with comfort, once it's been honed in, it shouldn't be much of a money/tread waster. Go with the fun/comfort ride and not worry about moving around at higher speeds.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Yeah, the slight variations in stability are very minuscule and are only on certain pavements at highway speed....most might not even notice it. Pretty closed to honed in at this point and set for maximum/even tread wear, which is what i was looking for anyway (y)

·
Registered
348 Posts
With all due respect, I know all about the chalk techniques. In the 21st century, we use a pyrometer. Very inexpensive and deadly accurate. On track its amazing how much can change with 1 psi. Thus reason 34-35 psi makes such a difference in steering feel. Sorry but many of you guys that live in sport mode have a brick at those pressures. I bought a beautiful GT car and the skyhook suspension does an amazing job if you let it. Only time I use sport is if I get serious, which means triple digits. I will get the exhaust controller soon. I am only at 2500 miles but wear is dead even. I probably corner a bit more aggressively than the issues that cause wear like highway miles

·
Registered
348 Posts
Michelin Pilot Sports A/S3 are warrantied by Discount Tire for 45,000 miles.
When they wear out due to inside edge wear, good luck with that warranty. It will immediately be denied due to an alignment issue.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
With all due respect, I know all about the chalk techniques. In the 21st century, we use a pyrometer. Very inexpensive and deadly accurate. On track its amazing how much can change with 1 psi. Thus reason 34-35 psi makes such a difference in steering feel. Sorry but many of you guys that live in sport mode have a brick at those pressures. I bought a beautiful GT car and the skyhook suspension does an amazing job if you let it. Only time I use sport is if I get serious, which means triple digits. I will get the exhaust controller soon. I am only at 2500 miles but wear is dead even. I probably corner a bit more aggressively than the issues that cause wear like highway miles
Like you said...and you won't see uneven wear at only 2,500 miles.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I have a tool that measures in thousands. According to many , I'm already 25-33% thru life of tires.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I have a tool that measures in thousands. According to many , I'm already 25-33% thru life of tires.
By your numbers, you're looking to only get 10-12k out of those tires. I just got twice as much as on my rears (Michelin Pilot Super Sport) with minor adjustments to alignment.

61 - 78 of 78 Posts