Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Those are probably one of the best tires you can run on the GT. If you search the forums for Pilot Sport, you'll see a lot of threads on this.

You may get a small % of greater tread life by going with another tire.

You'll see a huge improvement by going with a symmetrical tire. The front tires wear from the inside, while the rears wear evenly. If you find a tire that can be flipped, you can gain a significant amount of additional tread life.

Read Nitto Tires and Cross Rotating Asymmetric Tires

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Those are probably one of the best tires you can run on the GT. If you search the forums for Pilot Sport, you'll see a lot of threads on this.

You may get a small % of greater tread life by going with another tire.

You'll see a huge improvement by going with a symmetrical tire. The front tires wear from the inside, while the rears wear evenly. If you find a tire that can be flipped, you can gain a significant amount of additional tread life.

Read Nitto Tires and Cross Rotating Asymmetric Tires
Thanks, Guess getting around 18k miles on the tread wear should considered pretty good on the GT. Agreed PS4s still the best in term of performance...

·
Registered
138 Posts
18k miles sounds like you've had 2 sets of tires on the GT. Seems the average tread life is 8-12k miles. Hitting 18k seems like we're talking about you've gone through TWO sets, not one.

·
Premium Member
680 Posts
This is my second set on Michelin PS4s for my front wheel on 245/35/R20. Observed the wear & tear at about 29000km (18000miles), seems kinda short lifespan. Any good tyres to recommend?
Running PS4 myself, 15,000 miles on the 2nd set, Very normal, My Porsche is the same way. No matter what tire you put on you will have wear like that using the stock alignment specs. A lot of guys have taken some camber out of the front to make the tires last longer.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Running PS4 myself, 15,000 miles on the 2nd set, Very normal, My Porsche is the same way. No matter what tire you put on you will have wear like that using the stock alignment specs. A lot of guys have taken some camber out of the front to make the tires last longer.
Dang, 15k miles seems like some great tread life.

·
Premium Member
2,044 Posts
Your front tires’ inside edge wear has nothing to do with the brand of tires , it’s 100 % attributable to the factory aligmnent specs which causes that .. search this forum for uneven tire wear or inside tire wear or similarly named topics and you’ll find a few threads which contain directions with the alignment specs that will solve that problem. The toe setting for the front wheels should be completely at neutral ( zero ) or even a smidge toe-IN.
Camber can stay at factory settings, but not a bad idea to adjust that a little as well, there should be diagrams with the correct specs posted on those threads .

·
Registered
138 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
I bought my 2015 GT at 13k miles and the previous owner had installed brand new pirelli’s in 2018. It has 16k miles now after almost a year in my ownership but i cant wait for these pirelli’s to be worn out... i will install pilot super sports like i have on all my cars

·
Registered
2016 GranTurismo
827 Posts
I can confirm that with my new 2016 GT I only got to 12,500 miles the tires were worn on the inside because of the factory toe settings.
My rear tires were almost bald at 12,500 and I did zero burn outs.

·
Registered
2014 GT S Rosso Trionfale
115 Posts
I have a 2014 GT bought last year January 2019 had 15000 miles now has 27000 miles, had all 4 tires replaced P zero by dealer as part of deal when bought, had car aligned by a maserati dealer febuary 2019 in Annapolis. MD. great job i can say i drove this car all over to Chicago to Richmond New jersey to Delaware and in November December noticed the rear's were bald and sounded like a basket ball bouncing lol worn mostly on inside an aliment issue the fronts had very little wear, but the right front inside a little more wear so replaced the tires with Bridgestone PTZ RE 980AS and had it realigned at porsche of annapolis so now the right front is a little out of spec the bushings are worn so i ordered both sides from scuderia and waiting for the weather to get better to replace, side note these are the best smoothest running tires, the ride is so much more comfortable even in sport no road noise like the P zeros and handles even at a hunderd plus summer will tell how the milage goes as miami is in the cards.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
So I've read a bit from a few reputable folks on here about that, but nobody has actually reported back the results of the adjustment.

References: Does every GT Wear the Inside of the Front Tires? and Does every GT Wear the Inside of the Front Tires?

My GT seems to drive straight, not sure if it's worth taking it in for an adjustment. Pretty sure the last set of Pilot Sport 4S tires only made it 9k miles, mostly driven by a previous owner.
I can confirm that moving the front 'toe-in' adjustment closer to neutral/0.0 does cut down considerably on the inside wear of the front tires. Your car will drive straight with the factory alignment specs but you will have premature inside, front tire wear. My car drives just as straight with the new, closer to neutral specs. as well (y)
It is the factory alignment specs that wear the inside of the tire, not the brand of tire!

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
This is my second set on Michelin PS4s for my front wheel on 245/35/R20. Observed the wear & tear at about 29000km (18000miles), seems kinda short lifespan. Any good tyres to recommend?
I can confirm that moving the front 'toe-in' adjustment closer to neutral/0.0 does cut down considerably on the inside wear of the front tires. Your car will drive straight with the factory alignment specs but you will have premature inside, front tire wear. My car drives just as straight with the new, closer to neutral specs. as well (y)
It is the factory alignment specs that wear the inside of the tire, not the brand of tire!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Thank you!

·
Registered
44 Posts
At the the prices for the Michelin PS4s Im going wit the Nitto 555 GT And will adjust the toe and camber a bit . Cant justify the cost of the tires for the milage . Thanks I will keep you all posted on the Nittos !!!!

1 - 20 of 78 Posts