Maserati Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

I have a 2013 GT Sport. Lately it's been taking a few more cranks to start up in the morning (~25 degrees F). After a while it started having this metallic rattling noise in the engine bay, sounds like it may be related to the belt or engine. Its a constant rattling sounds almost like a train rattling.

Here is a video link:

I sat it idle for 5 minutes and the engine started dipping down the rpms and when I went to go shut it off the lights inside started fading/flickering.

Thank you,
Mitesh

·
Premium Member
2011 Granturismo S
136 Posts
I got nothing but I'll have my fingers crossed for you that it's something cheap and easy.
You try the old hose or screwdriver to the ear routine to narrow it down? Here's hoping it's just an alternator or power steering pump

6,164 Posts
That sounds like an internal engine issue..I would have it professionally looked at in this case and probably wouldn't start it anymore...Jason

·
Premium Member
2013 GT/MC SportLine Blu Sofisticato - Black w/Yellow stitching and calipers
303 Posts
That sounds to me like (you hope) only a bearing going out on an accessory...and hopefully not something internal!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the replies everyone,

I will be taking it to the service place tomorrow and be able to provide updates on this. Hopefully it is just an accessory defect. I don’t have a long enough screwdriver to check however.

I did remember there was a burning smell when I opened the hood initially if that helps. The noise didn’t happen at high rpms, the engine seemed healthy when at 3k when I was driving back home. It was really just at idle that the noise became so loud and then the engine seemed like it was going to cut completely/stall out.

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
Yeah...the alternator going out may also cause the lights to flicker as you mentioned...plus not putting out enough electrical power to keep the engine running at low RPM's...no dash warning lights?!?
Curious to find out what it is...as it sounds nasty!!

6,164 Posts
That isn't an alternator and it isn't good..That is not a good noise...That sounds like something with the variator or something related to it...Jason

Reactions: GT/MC 4ME

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
Yikes! Sorry, yes, you would know Sir...and it is very loud Master :) (y) (sounds $$$$)

·
Premium Member
2013 GTS Coupe
3,887 Posts
Oh man, sorry to see this . It’s vicariously painful to hear that kind of a pronounced rattle and rpm drop in any of our cars ..and mine also happens to be a ‘13 GTS . And whilst I was hoping GT/MC 4ME ‘s and billyd’s thoughts that a “not-so-expensive“ component might be the issue, Jason’s posts quickly dampened those hopes .. 😞

Just out of curiosity, how many miles on the car ? And how frequently is it driven ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hello Guys,

The dealer took apart the car and it is the AC compressor that went bad. It had seized up and melted the belt partially so as it was going around it was thumping. They were able to start the car bypassing the ac line I guess because they told me they got it to at least run fine.

The car has 60k miles on it and I’ve been using it as my daily driving it everyday.

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
Glad it was nothing internal...but are they kidding on the price for the compressor?!?!? 🤦‍♂️

Rectangle Font Parallel Circle Pattern

·
Premium Member
2013 GTS Coupe
3,887 Posts
Good to know, and although not a cheap fix, I think it’s a relief compared to something which would require taking most of the engine apart .. yeah that compressor price seems a bit high, but the AC compressor on my son’s 2011 Nissan Sentra was about $ 1,000 so maybe the Maserati one is not that outrageous ..

edit : .. oops, sorry that was the total cost including labor .. not sure what the compressor itself cost ..

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
For sure on taking the engine apart +1...dang...the compressor on my Mercedes SL55 AMG went out when cruising back from LV doing 100+ most of the way...sounded like Sh!t too....that was only a $250 part! I wouldn't expect to pay much more than $500 even on these cars...wow

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
Yep...could have been anything.
Jason...we still appreciate you, that's for sure!

·
Premium Member
2013 GTS Coupe
3,887 Posts
What was that saying ; diagnosing noises over the internet is like trying to get a haircut over the phone ? Hey, from what I’ve seen, Jason is right 90% of the time just based on what’s posted here with descriptions and / or photos, or videos, etc. .. whereas it most likely it would be a 100 % sure bet diagnosis when be would conduct an in-person analysis, but that‘s always the case.. nothing beats an up close and personal , look, touch, feel, listen , test , troubleshoot, diagnosis confidence factor .

·
Premium Member
2013 GTS Coupe
3,887 Posts
Maybe its too late now, but this just came to mind ; I believe Ferrari uses Denso components in some of their cars' AC system. Wondering if that happens to be what's in our cars also, and if maybe you can get the same compressor from a Toyota/Lexus source for maybe half the price ?

Jason .. thoughts ?

·
Super Moderator
5,127 Posts
I believe it's a Denso as fitted to some Citroens, but the mounting needs swapping.

C

·
Registered
34 Posts
Prior to my GT, I had a 2003 Aston Vanquish. My compressor went and the Aston one was $$$. After some research I discovered that Aston used many things from the Ford and Jaguar parts bin. I took the compressor to a local Autozone and found a perfect match with a compressor for an early 2000's F150 and Mustang for $119.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts