Maserati Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For those of you that have the $700 optional G.Mercury colored rims, please post a close-up pic of them.... if at all possible.

The car I just bought (more on that in a later thread... :D) clearly shows having this option on the original window sticker..... but, take a look at them.
Most the others I have seen with these wheels are a lot darker in color.
Is it possible that these just came out a bit lighter in shade of color??

First pic is of the actual car I bought, 2nd pic is from another car 4 sale.

What's the deal........ :confused:

And why do some cars come with colored (red) center caps, and some not?

Attachments

·
Registered
402 Posts
Id say they do not look like Mercury. I have Mercury wheels on my GT-S, i assume they are similar, and they also came with the silver trident caps, not red.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
The car I just bought (more on that in a later thread... :D) clearly shows having this option on the original window sticker..... but, take a look at them.

you are correct, mercury has a darker finish.

the deal is, the one on the car you bought, does not seem to have mercury finish.
possibility:
1) wheels were swapped out for standard finish.
2) wheels were damaged (curb rash, etc) and were refinished.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Although you have contributed a great deal to this forum, I don't think you own a Maserati. Please don't take this the wrong way and I hope you prove me wrong.
please don't take this wrong but the OP says he just bought one?

i imagine he bought a car out of state or didn't notice the wheel finish, and now curious why the wheels look different.

·
Registered
206 Posts
...The car I just bought (more on that in a later thread... :D) ...
Although you have contributed a great deal to this forum, I don't think you own a Maserati. Please don't take this the wrong way and I hope you prove me wrong.
Well, I guess you don't own your car (your bank/creditor does) even if you bought it. So PowerPig, do you have your pink slip to show that you actually "own" yours??? :rolleyes:

To *MaSeRaTi*, did you get that Bianco Fuji afterall? If so, congrats, and pictures please :D

·
Registered
206 Posts
Back to the original topic of this thread....

Wheel on the left looks to be the regular silver painted GS wheel (mine are like that despite it being a MCV....I think most MCV have darker Mercury wheels). I'm looking to have mine painted like those Mercury wheels or dark chrome like the ones on '08 QP Sport GT-S.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
you are correct, mercury has a darker finish.

the deal is, the one on the car you bought, does not seem to have mercury finish.
possibility:
1) wheels were swapped out for standard finish.
2) wheels were damaged (curb rash, etc) and were refinished.
That's exactly what I thought may have happened...... that the first and original owner may not have liked them, and swapped them out. Such a pity, I really like the Mercury finish.
Talk about comin' outta left field! lol

please don't take this wrong but the OP says he just bought one?

i imagine he bought a car out of state or didn't notice the wheel finish, and now curious why the wheels look different.
Yes, you are correct. I bought an out of state car, and noticed even before I flew out to look at it last week. The gentlemen I bought from never realized this color wasn't the darker finish of what Mercury actually is. Im assuming the original owner didn't like them and swapped them out for these at the dealer.

To *MaSeRaTi*, did you get that Bianco Fuji afterall? If so, congrats, and pictures please :D
Yes Sir, Bianco Fuji. ;)
This color is much more stunning in person.

I will start a new thread with some info and pics soon.
The car will be picked up via enclosed transport one day later next week.
I should have it home in about 2 weeks. :D

·
Registered
181 Posts
bianco fuji color is sweet... but looks better with regular silver wheels, rather than darker mercury wheels.......just my personal opinion.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Agreed.

Go with the lighter wheels with the lighter body. Otherwise you look like you put on a par of black Reeboks with an Easter Sunday suit. Not good.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I own all of my cars free and clear.

02 Mercedes ML55 AMG
99 Mercedes ML320
94 Mercedes SL600
95 Mercedes E320 Cabriolet
93 Mercedes 300CE Sportline
87 Mercedes 560SEC
86 Mercedes 300SDL Grease Car
87 Mercedes 300E

80 Ferrari 308 GTSI
88 Jaguar XJS12 H&E Edition
good for you.

however, i think the forum folks don't really care much about the list of historical MB's you own.

let's get back to talking about maserati's.

i still think the wheels could have been curbed and were refinished. what sort of mileage is on the GS?

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
M!........ Car has only 2600 miles on her, so I think highly unlikely to be because of any curbing.
The original selling dealer is local to me, so I'm going to make a call and see if I can find out if anyone remembers wether they were swapped out or not.

·
Registered
695 Posts
It is not a question of if one curbs the wheel but when..take a close look at how the front tire pulls inward from the rim, leaving all the delicate metal ready to be rashed.

I agree with M! wrt being refinished - maybe it is the photo, but your wheel's finish doesn't look right for stock.

The trident color on the wheel caps can be black, silver, or red. They are about $15 each, your dealer can easily order any of the available colors.

EDIT: Just looked at my Maser Accessory Catalogue. Those do look like the stock finish after all.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
i guess that's very low mileage for someone driving a maserati to seriously curb all wheels, but you will be surprised as to how much damage can someone do to their new car.

the dealer could have wanted to sell the car and just swap the damaged mercury set with a set of refinished wheels to make the car look perfect.

may be you can look up more photos to see if that is a factory finish. one easy way to see if the wheels are refinish is to check the balance weights, see if those look like factory job.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here's what I believe happened.

Original owner optioned Mercury wheels, didn't like them when the car arrived, and had the dealer swap them out with another GS on the lot.
The second owner (whom I have bought from) did not notice or never realized the fact that these were not the Mercury wheels.

The car is in absolute perfect shape, and I believe the wheels are oem finish.
The calipers do appear to look more like Mercury in color though. :confused:

·
Registered
217 Posts
For those of you that have the $700 optional G.Mercury colored rims, please post a close-up pic of them.... if at all possible.

Congrats on the car!!! I knew you'd find the right one. The Bianco Fuji looks awesome in person. Pictures don't do it justice.

As everyone said before, your wheels are definitely not Mercury. Here is a picture of one of my wheels:

Land vehicle Alloy wheel Vehicle Spoke Rim

Don't know the deal with the color of the emblem on the wheel caps. Mine are white as you can see.

Cheers.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Congrats on the car!!! I knew you'd find the right one. The Bianco Fuji looks awesome in person. Pictures don't do it justice.

As everyone said before, your wheels are definitely not Mercury. Here is a picture of one of my wheels:

View attachment 3525

Don't know the deal with the color of the emblem on the wheel caps. Mine are white as you can see.

Cheers.
Thanks my man, your help was, and still is very much appreciated.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I am looking for a original set of wheels for my GS in order to fit a set of Pireli Cosrsa.:cool:

Can't find any on sale so I called a dealer and to my surprise the Mercury are less expensive than the regular light gray ones. :confused::confused:

So, if anyone knows of a set please let me know here or [email protected].

Thanks

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'm surprised the Grigio Mercury wheels are less expensive than the stock ones. Do you know how much they are going for? I'd love to get them for my Victory Blue MCV!

·
Registered
103 Posts
I do not have that info on hand right now, but tomorrow I'll send it via PM or email.

We have a discount from Ferrari Maserati.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts