Maserati Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Does anyone know what thread sizes are on a Meraks wheel studs?
When I bought my car the previous owner had on 3pc. Gotti Wheels, but it seems all the lug nuts may be cross threaded. I would like to chase the wheel studs and get new lug nuts.
Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
8 Posts
Lug bolt threads for older Maseratis (from 3500GT upwards) were 14x1.5mm, which includes the Merak. I don't know about the Biturbo, QPorte2 or newer cars. The OE lug nuts were an open bolt made of unplated brass, with an unusual 55-degree conical mating surface to fit the factory Borrani and Campagnolo wheels. On the Merak and later cars with exposed lug nuts, they may have been chrome plated, but I can't speak to that with any authority.

New reproductions of the original brass nuts are available through www.maseratinet.com and www.maseratisource.com

With your Gotti wheels, you may be able to use high-quality aftermarket or "tuner" lug nuts, depending on the mounting surface on the wheels. My bet is your Merak bolts got cross-threaded by someone using aftermarket hardened steel lug nuts instead of the softer OE brass design, so be careful when fitting the new ones if you go that route.

Best of luck with your Merak!
Doug in Boise, Idaho USA

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks,...

Hi, thank you for the reply. I ended up getting three sets of new lugs.
1). A set of hard steel ones just, (cheap) in case I had to chase the threads, which turned out unneccesary.
2). Some tuner ones which fit in the holes for the lugs in the Gottis wheels very well.
30). Some original open brass ones, (expensive) like you said. These are unplated open brass, I believe the originals on the Merak where closed and plated.
I am going to use the tuner ones for now.
It turned out that the PO had plated brass lugs on there but with the wrong thread, (I believe 12 X 1.5) so the lugs were cross threaded not the bolts. Lucky me!
Thanks again.
Chris

1 - 3 of 3 Posts