Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am new to this forum and glad I found it!
What is the future of Merak Values? I have a 1980 SS. I htink they are a better driver than a 308. They may not be as "track" oriented but I can drive it for hours and go on long trips and no tget tired out. The 308 may be more pure sports car and the Merak more of a GT but in the real world that shouldn't be a minus. (I guess it is the same with the Daytona and the Ghibli).
Anyone know if these will ever get the attention they deserve?

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
I think they look cool but I am pretty ignorant about the older Maserati market. What is the going price for a good conditioned Merak?

How much power does the SS have?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi, Nice new one!

I believe a nice Merak goes for about $20,000. They handle nicely, are reasonably quick, though not going to out drag anyone, but have a top end big enough to get you in trouble. Look great, are confortable even for taller drivers. A great entry level Italian Exotic.

·
Registered
773 Posts
love my meraks, one is power house, the other a lot less power. really not interested in $$ increase, they are a pleasure to drive. having some problems with idle, too high 2000 rpm. and other little things, but they do not cause any detraction from driving, enjoy ownership, i do dollars will come with time

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
maseratiguy said:
Hi, I am new to this forum and glad I found it!
What is the future of Merak Values? I have a 1980 SS. I htink they are a better driver than a 308. They may not be as "track" oriented but I can drive it for hours and go on long trips and no tget tired out. The 308 may be more pure sports car and the Merak more of a GT but in the real world that shouldn't be a minus. (I guess it is the same with the Daytona and the Ghibli).
Anyone know if these will ever get the attention they deserve?
According to SCM current values are:

Merak $15-23k
Merak SS $ 17-25k

and both are unchanged in the last 12 months.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi, Why is one a powerhouse and the other not? Is one modified or is it an SS and the other not?
I have an '80 SS and it is quick, but I wouldn't call it a powerhouse. I did easily pull away from a '69 Chevelle w/ a 396 when we were both doing 85 mph. He ran out of breath and I can easily accelerate from there.
Chris

·
Registered
773 Posts
merak

both engines were just rebuilt. rings not seated. car one has compression range of 165 to 185: will spin wheels in 1 2 3 . very quick, car two reads 125 all the way thru. my have to replace rings. both cars have headers, and stock mufflers. am planning on replacing those soon. does this help explain difference?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, I had my motor rebuilt 2 years ago and it runs great. I never tried to spin the wheels though. I have no desire to drop the clutch at any high rpm's an dI usually shift to 2nd and 3rd before redlining it or really high rpms, (usually around 4,000/4,500) I also have 215/60's on the rear, (205's on the front) so that also would make it harder to "get rubber". i do also have headers and stock exhaust.
How do you get rubber in 1, 2,+3?

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
I bought my '74 Merak a few months ago for $23K. It was owned over the past 11 years by a car collector who had detailed maintenance records and only 16K miles on it. I have spent a good amount of change with a Maser mechanic changing all the rubber bits, servicing the hydraulics and tuning it up. Next I will be adding euro headers.

I don't know about values increasing...this is one of the highest production Masers. Looking through older issues of Viale Ciro Menotti, Merak prices have been flat for over 20 years. In real terms, they have decreased in price while other models have increased significantly. For example, in the 1980 VCM's I was eyeing through, Meraks were selling for prices (around $22K) similar to Boras at the time. Now Boras sell for twice Meraks' prices. At the time Ghibli coupes listed for around $20K and now go for 3 times that. Indy's sold for under $20K.

In sum, so far other Maser models have done much better as investments. I think the complications associated the hydraulics and lower HP vs most other models have kept Merak appreciation below its siblings. It certainly looks great though.

Steve

·
Registered
3 Posts
Looking for some advice regarding a Merak

Hi, I was pleased to find this forum and this thread about the Merak since I am going to have a look at a Merak next week and could use some good advice regarding what I should be looking for. I have found some Internet sites where the hydraulic circuitry was mentioned as a week spot and another mentioned the lower camshaft chains could be sloppy. So could anyone comment on this and maybe give me some additional advice? Thanks.
About the Merak - it is an early 1973 model with a 3000 ccm engine and the mileage is around 25000.

Kris

·
Registered
773 Posts
merak

kris i have two SS models and just love them, maybe like two wives, i am broke all the time. early cars mmay have more to work on, but i love dash. so cool. a car that is not well maintained is a big money pit, you don't want to find out why. i was not smart enough. motor on both cost 15000.00 to build

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Bundas, I believe I will love the car as much as you do yours - hopefully - and that is also why I what to make sure that I find the errors that might be there before buying it. I don’t mind if there are some minor things to be fixed as long as I then know that I can bargain the price.
It sound bad about the price you had to pay for the motors - spare parts I guess don’t come that cheep. Actually the person how is selling the Merak told me that the motor is the last thing he needs to fix before the car is ready for sale so I hope he does a good job. I have thought of getting the car check at another garage just to be sure – however they are not experts on Maseratis so…?

Kris

·
Registered
773 Posts
merak value

beeee careful, motor is big $ i can offer my builder, he is full time maserati motor builder. a first class build is not like a chevy. call any time too discuss. 8596191441 mitchell. e-mail: [email protected]

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for your offer Mitchell, would have liked to use your motor builder however I live in Denmark - Europe so that is unfortunately not possible. But if you could give me your opinion after I have seen the car that would be great. I will write to your hotmail. My internet e-mail is [email protected] - Kristian Miller

·
Registered
3 Posts
Merak idling at 2000 rpm!

Hi i read the thread about high idle speed I would say that the carbs are way out of sync or you have a large manifold leak into one or more cylinders. Perhaps one of the Manifold O rings has shrunk or the vacuum line to the ventilation and ignition system has a leak?
The carbs are very reliable unless they have been sitting a very long time or contaminated with moisture.
I have done alot of work on Merak and Citroen Sm engines and apart from issues with the sodium filled exhaust valves failing and early primary chain tensioners coming loose they are very reliable and well built engines.
Check the tensions on the top chains regularly, the valve clearances and timing adjustments and they are a very sweet runner.
I personally recomend the Lumenition kit available from Brodie engineering in the uk to fix the awkward to set points cartridge!

Happy motoring
Mike ( New Zealand)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I`m searching

Hi,
I`m a owner of an Citroen SM and now I´m looking for an Maserati Merak with the V6 engine and the same interior as the SM.
This wednesday I was gone to NY to have a look at an offered white Merak. But this car is terrible bad.
Maybe somebody know a faire Merak for me. Maximum price is 20000 US $.Í life in Germany
thanks
best regards
Matthias

·
Registered
773 Posts
merak

matt, hope you do not mind, i have three SS models. thats not what you ask for, but thought i would mention same anyway. last one i purchased was cover car car and driver. has rust under paint in some places, bubbles. motor broke and was replaced with smaller engine. runs/drives nice. i am in lexington ky. call any time 8596191441 $15000.00 i now have idle fixed on all cars. took $1200.00 each to redo carbs. they were a mess. evans auto in columbus ohio did work. so far they do good.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
About this Discussion
20 Replies
9 Participants
John A. Gallo
Maserati Forum
We’re a forum to discuss the Maserati Coupé, Spyder, GranTurismo, Ghibli, Quattroporte and more!
Full Forum Listing