Maserati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,.
I love my 1980 merak ss but when it gets hot, (within operating tempature buy has been in traffic) the shifting gets progressively worse and becomes very hard to shift 1st - 2nd uinless I double clutch and hit the right rpm's. If I just try to shift It will "crunch". When I first start out, (after warming up the car to operating temp) it shifts fine...but after a lot of driving or especially stop and go/city/town driving the 1st to second shift become very poor. It is taking the fun out of the car as I am a very "fluid" driver and like a smooth, fluid operation.
The transaxle has oil, and the linkage bushings have been replaced. Is this a syncro problem?
What else should I check?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi

Yes, same problem when I down shift,. But the problem is only after the car is driven for a while. When I first start out after warming up to operating temp. the car shifts fine, if I have been driving for an hour or after beeing in stop and go or traffic it gets progressively worse.
...What do you think it costs to rebuild one of these transaxles? any experience with that?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually it also happens in reverse

I have lived with the reverse problem for so long I forgot to mention it! The car also will not shift into reverse when hot. I know the Cable from the shifter operates the gear selector going side-to-side, (1st-3rd-5th and 2nd-4th-reverse). Is it possible that the cable is not working properly once it gets hot? Maybe it is either expanding, developes a kink or the lubrication in it is dry?
Before a transaxle rebuild I will replace the shifting cable, since I have already checked the rod linkage. I was told it was new when I bought the car, but possibly it is installed wrong and either has a kink in it or is routed incorrectly?
What are your thoughts on these possibilities?

·
Registered
773 Posts
merak

sorry i have been late looking at this site. reverse grind and some time first as well, is adjustment and or clutch disc ware. transmission buildable, for a really good manual transmission shop. i have extra clutch disc, cover is available carbon tob ,i have or you can pick up one for mgb, same, e mail if you need better communications, or call any time. [email protected] 8596191441 lexington ky

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Merak shifting solved!

Hi, sorry I have taken so long to get back to this post with the answer to my shifting mystery.
After my mechanic observed the shifting action of the cable and linkage while I was in the car doing the shifting and telling him where I felt it hanging up, he adjusted the cable about the turn of one flat on the adjusting nut and adjsted the clutch a couple of turns. BINGO! that was all it took! I felt kinda' dumb, as I had tried adjusting the cable, but was adjusting it a full turn or so. I couldn't believe it was so sensitive to adjusting. I had also checked the clutch play, but I guess I was off on that too.
I did check the shift cable and the heat wrap on it has been worn off in one section where it had been rubbing near the motor mount. I plan to re-wrap that area with new heat sheathing and fix it so it doesn't rub.
But so far it is working beautifully. I drove over 600 miles this past weekend on it and what a pleasure this car is!
Thanks everyone for all of your imput.
Chris

1 - 6 of 6 Posts