Maserati Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
My vote for "most mysterious post of 2006".

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I hope I can clear that up very soon.

For now, if you want to see one, the Maserati booth at the L.A. Auto Show has one on display. That one is not for sale ;)

·
Registered
153 Posts
They aren't difficult to get hold of if you have the cash. One went in thge UK recently at auction for around £350k. I've even seen them on eBay!

·
Registered
681 Posts
surfnirnava said:
They aren't difficult to get hold of if you have the cash. One went in thge UK recently at auction for around £350k. I've even seen them on eBay!
Yeah the problem is getting the cash for it! Group buy anyone? We'll each put down $100k and share the car! LOL

·
Registered
202 Posts
I know what it is....

i just got back from the L.A. auto show. when i got to the Maserati area, i talked to a guy.

i mention that i love the "MC" and that i heard that there was going to be one for sell. he immediately said, that it was a secret and that they are getting one for sell.

he then asked if i have a buyer...at 1.4M (the asking prices he told me)

I.E. " Ferrari Maserati of orange county"

-willie

P.S. keep it on the down low... ha ha:D :D :D

·
Registered
824 Posts
maserati of minneapolis said:
I think the guy that had the P4/5 built said on Ferrarichat that the MC12s in the US are only certified for display\exhibition miles, something like 500 a year?
2500 miles a year. Your insurance provider must certify to the DOT that you are only allowed to do that many miles and they will audit etc.

While the MC12 has DOT approval as a "show and display" import, you still would need EPA approval.

Probably not a big deal for a modern car. Those prices sound crazy, for $1.4M I'd buy two in Europe an import both.

Glenn

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
Didn't realize this car was not allowed in the U.S. Ferrari/Maserati of Silicon Valley had one at their opening as well as at the Palo Alto concours.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Andrew said:
Didn't realize this car was not allowed in the U.S. Ferrari/Maserati of Silicon Valley had one at their opening as well as at the Palo Alto concours.
Well it IS allowed in the US, just not imported for sale by Maserati.

·
Registered
681 Posts
How many would realistically put more than 2,500 miles/year on an MC12 though? It would be a very very occasional car for me if I ever had the pleasure of owning one.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Here's the rule on importing for "Show & Display," which is what the MC12 qualifies for:

A vehicle eligible for Show or Display may receive NHTSA approval to be driven on the highway. The odometer must not register more than 2,500 miles in a 12-month period. NHTSA approval of limited on-road use is to allow the vehicle to be driven to and from nearby displays of similar automobiles. Another reason permission is granted is to maintain the vehicle’s engine, braking, lighting, and other dynamic systems in good working order. The vehicle is still required to meet EPA requirements. If the original engine in the vehicle will be replaced with a non-original engine to meet EPA requirements, it must be identified in your application since it may impact on the technological or historical significance of the vehicle.

If you're really interested, the details can be found here:
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import/

·
Registered
681 Posts
The Trident said:
Here's the rule on importing for "Show & Display," which is what the MC12 qualifies for:

Another reason permission is granted is to maintain the vehicle’s engine, braking, lighting, and other dynamic systems in good working order.
That right there is basically an excuse to drive it anywhere. Sounds really vague.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts