Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Maserati Granturismo Sport Convertible
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here's a vid showing a bit of the MC-20's exhaust sound....

My verdict: Meh.....As suspected the V6 just can't compete with a V8 in the sound dept. I have never heard a V6 sound as good as a V8. Never. I think Maserati made a big mistake. Maserati's have always been known for their signature exhaust noises and this one just doesn't cut it for me. Even the Levante Trofeo's TT V8 sounds better than the MC-20's V6 in my opinion. Now we know why Ferrari never puts a V6 in their cars no matter the tech.

I'd take the Huracan's sweet N/A V10 (or my 599's V12) over this any day.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
NOPE for my ears...but I will take those wheels in all gloss black, please & thank you!

·
Registered
2018 Maserati Granturismo Sport Convertible
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Omg that is the worst. Whose dumb idea was that. Lol
BMW does this a lot with some of their models. So does Mercedes, Audi, and some Japanese brands.

The all-electric Porsche Taycan has an option to create a bizarre "UFO" sound if you don't want complete silence. Some electric cars have even speakers now located outside the car to blast fake exhaust sounds.

I think this is one of the worst trends in the auto industry, but unfortunately inevitable as more and more cars go electric. I can just imagine sometime in the future where a Nissan Leaf going down the road with a fake Ferrari sound blasting out of it. Lol.

Reactions: DSGT

·
Premium Member
2,552 Posts
At least they didn't go with the fake exhaust sound being broadcasted by the stereo. That's even worse.
Indeed, BUT, if you want to hear those famous exhaust pops and crackles, a Bose sound system will do that for you 😛

·
Registered
195 Posts
When I was looking at cars, I had basically narrowed it down to two cars in my price range based on the exhaust note. I went with the GT for a few reasons but the exhaust note of the F-Type V6 still makes me smile whenever I hear it in full throttle.

Sent from my ALP-L29 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,552 Posts
Yes, one of the better ( if not the best ) exhaust notes out of a V6 so far .. and although SCs do have some impact on the exhaust sound, they don‘t muffle it as much as turbos do...so we’ll see if the MC20 sound listened to live and in person matches the Jag’s note .. I’m going to guess it’s close but not quite ..based on the sound clips alone.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
I don't much care for the sound of those either :unsure:

·
Registered
455 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
If it gets that primal scream at high rpm, I WILL like it. Few cars will ever sound like ours at idle.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Clips don't do anything justice esp when mic is from a phone. GTS exhaust is underwhelming on a phone also. Phones pick up high rpm screams best....not hers hehe

·
Registered
236 Posts
Yeah, MC 20 looks good but exhaust note is not great. The V6 is so lame. I will listen again at the dealer but I probably won't get it. Lambo, Aston, McLaren and Maserati GT sound much better....

·
Registered
455 Posts
What I just figured out listening to that clip was you are listening to the Euro trash exhaust model with all its draconian intake baffles,and silencers. That is what our original Evoras sounded like. A simple baffled exhaust will completely change that tone.
This is examples on my Evora as a comparison.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjOle6DpOvrAhVJUt8KHbcuDHAQwqsBMAB6BAgLEAU&url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmBiclIO0aA&usg=AOvVaw0Py8rAylwSCGLKWKZVT_eE

The lack of any staccato is baffling the intake. I predict our American cars will have different sounds altogether.

Mine sounds better than any of those BTW.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts