Maserati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Continental EXTREMECONTACT DWS 06

Backstory:
Last fall I was preparing to take a 7000 mile trip. I've heard that the OEM 20" wheels and PZero tires can be a bit fragile over road hazards. Plus, I wanted an all weather solution because I had no idea what conditions I might run into. So I bought some used 19" rims and fitted them with Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06

I have about 10k miles on these tires now, and they still have 5/32" rear, 6/32" front tread. But what is amazing is that the rears are wearing flat. No excess wear on the inside.

Traction is decent. The limiting factor is my butt in the seat, as they grip better than my ability to stay put in the seat. Not sure I would be able to take advantage of something more grippy without a harness or full seat replacement.

I'm assuming my alignment is OK. The rears have noticeable camber, which is what it should be with the recommended specs.

Side note: I have a Chevy Volt. They are notorious for wearing both shoulders of the tires, even at 45-50psi. The forum is full of complaints. Someone suggested Continental TrueContact, and I've found that they wear flat!

Anyway, here's a pic of one of the rear tires with 10k miles.

Attachments

·
Registered
115 Posts
Good info.
So I looked up the specs on that tire. It has a UTQG tread wear rating of 560 which is considered a 50,000 mile tire which is pretty good for a performance tire. Most softer high performance tires have a UTQG rating around 240 or so which makes them more grippy but pretty easy to burn through. On the street I doubt anyone could tell the difference in grip that much.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Look to Tire Rack for more info. Lots of good stuff there.

Despite that 560 treadwear rating, the rubber seems to be "sticky". The other cars in my driveway have tread that is clean, but the Conti's always have a bunch of "pickup", bits of dried grass, leaves, etc. Stuff just seems to stick to them.

They have the letters D, W, and S molded into some of the tread blocks. They stand for Dry, Wet, and Snow. The "S" wears away first, indicating it is no longer recommended for snow, then the W wears away, etc. When the D is gone, time to replace. The S on my rear tires is barely visible at this time.

Still can't believe that they are wearing flat across the tread surface.

Yesterday I put the 20" wheels (with PZero) back on. Will use these for the summer. Have to do something with them, can't just let them rot in storage. The Pirellis are quieter, but feel somehow kind of "squishy" by comparison. The Conti's feel more direct, more responsive. A bit harsher.

Hans.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Continental EXTREMECONTACT DWS 06

Backstory:
Last fall I was preparing to take a 7000 mile trip. I've heard that the OEM 20" wheels and PZero tires can be a bit fragile over road hazards. Plus, I wanted an all weather solution because I had no idea what conditions I might run into. So I bought some used 19" rims and fitted them with Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06

I have about 10k miles on these tires now, and they still have 5/32" rear, 6/32" front tread. But what is amazing is that the rears are wearing flat. No excess wear on the inside.

Traction is decent. The limiting factor is my butt in the seat, as they grip better than my ability to stay put in the seat. Not sure I would be able to take advantage of something more grippy without a harness or full seat replacement.

I'm assuming my alignment is OK. The rears have noticeable camber, which is what it should be with the recommended specs.

Side note: I have a Chevy Volt. They are notorious for wearing both shoulders of the tires, even at 45-50psi. The forum is full of complaints. Someone suggested Continental TrueContact, and I've found that they wear flat!

Anyway, here's a pic of one of the rear tires with 10k miles.
I have them on my Cayenne turbo s, my jag str and my qp gts. Handle better than the other high performance all season tires.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
380 Posts
usually uneven wear is tied to wheel alignment, odd that a tire change would resolve that.
i've run several sets of conti dws, excellent tire.
i would also say the pilot sport a/s3+ is a great tire with long life as well, a bit grippier i feel as well.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have Contis on my GTS, granted I’ve only owned the car <2 months. Driving in San Francisco (potholes everywhere) I’ve always thought the stuff ride was attributed to the stiff suspension but reading that PZeros are OEM I believe the harder Contis add to the stiff ride. I had Conti run flats on my BMW 535 and they were very hard. Good info on tires. Thanks!

·
Registered
143 Posts
I forgot, I also have PZeros on my 2020 SQ5 Audi with air suspension and it’s a great ride (soft) with all of the pot holes in SF. I might try PZeros on my GTS.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
5 Participants
Pierre A
Maserati Forum
We’re a forum to discuss the Maserati Coupé, Spyder, GranTurismo, Ghibli, Quattroporte and more!
Full Forum Listing