Maserati Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What tips are there for maximizing clutch life? I've always prided myself on being able to get great clutch life on my Porsches, but this DuoSelect is a "black box"....

I've seen tips such as:

Sport Mode (fast change = less slip?)
MSP off (new thread recently)
Manual not Auto mode
Fewer shifts in general :)

anything else?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Those are the bige ones. Also, avoid reverse as much as possible. Avoid stop and go traffic, if you can't then try to give the car in front of you a little more space than usual, and give the car some more gas than usual so that you immediately get the revs up over 2K so that the clutch is not slipping.

Eric

·
Registered
722 Posts
To minimize clutch wear from a stop, you want to get the clutch engaged at as reasonably low an rpm figure as possible.

While the clutch is still slipping, the car is accelerated by the torque force transmitted by the clutch until the clutch locks up. This torque is roughly proportional to the pressure applied between the slipping clutch friction surfaces and has little to do with the speed difference between the two surfaces (engine speed-car speed).

But the clutch wear during periods of slip is about proportional to the transmitted torque times this friction surface speed difference times the amount of time the clutch is slipping.

It turns out that for low wear from a stop, you want to minimize engine speed (accelerate softly) during clutch engagement so that the clutch fully engages at a lower engine/car speed and is not slipping very fast while it does so.

Boring but true.

It's a different story between gears, where you don't have to accelerate the car to get the clutch to lock, you just have to decelerate the engine. Sport mode helps as does mashing on the gas.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Downshifting and Coasting

Hello all, I am no technical expert, but have concluded that downshifting prematurely must cause huge wear and therefore I now wait till the car slows down considerably before downshifting. In other words use the breaks to slow you down not the engine, break pads are cheap and easy to change. You can also select neutral and coast to a stop at lights etc. and avoid having the gearbox downshift 4 or 5 times etc.

·
Vendor
4,731 Posts
Our new Drive By Wire Enhancement should help quite a bit at engaging the clutch faster with less slippage. It has a cost but may pay for itself down the line. Not to mention the added benefits of improved throttle response and acceleration.

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
Hello all, I am no technical expert, but have concluded that downshifting prematurely must cause huge wear and therefore I now wait till the car slows down considerably before downshifting. In other words use the breaks to slow you down not the engine, break pads are cheap and easy to change. You can also select neutral and coast to a stop at lights etc. and avoid having the gearbox downshift 4 or 5 times etc.

Bummer, I love engine brake and the noise it makes on downshifting. I guess I am killing my clutch :(

·
Registered
722 Posts
If you keep a light gas pedal through the downshift (rev match), there would not be much clutch wear. I usually downshift 6-4-2 for engine braking, or just 6-4-N.

·
Vendor
4,731 Posts
Is the Drive By Wire for the QP as well as the Coupe?

So the concensus so far is gentle from rest, fast when shifting, and reduce downshifts in particular.
Yes, we do have a Drive By Wire Enhancement Module for the QP.

FWIW, I do not believe that there is a big difference between low revs (1200 RPM for 2.5 sec) and a longer clutch engagement and higher revs (2500 RPM for 1.25 sec) with a shorter engagement. It's all about how much material is worn and lost. IMO the faster the clutch engagement, the least wear on the clutch. Especially with the Maserati's which tends to really slip it.

Clutch engagement on a downshift is nearly instant... this shouldn't be too bad either. Also the speed differential shouldn't be more than 1k RPM unless you're really pushing it.

Slipping the clutch in Reverse and starting in 1st gear will definitely be your #1 contributors to clutch wear.

Driving in Sport Mode will help to speed up those engagements, driving with MSP off may help as well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts