Maserati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my Maser froze up on me today. I came out to drive away after a short 15 minute stop and nothing worked. The first thing I noticed was that the engine wouldn't turn over, although all the lights seemed normal.
Then I noticed:
- Even though the car indicated it was in neutral with the parking brake off, we couldn't push it. It acted like it was still in gear.
- The brake pedal was pumped all the way up, and had little give. Felt like brakes used to after you pumped them a few times (like you used to have to!)
- The steering wheel wouldn't move the wheels at all (it wasn't in the security lock position, since the key was turned on and the wheel would move a little back and forth).
- I didn't try to lower the top.
It's being towed to the dealer in the morning, but the service department, over the phone, could only guess that the F1 pump failed. Would this single pump impact everything (gearbox, brakes, steering?).
My mileage is 29,900 miles.
Mike

·
Registered
513 Posts
Mike

my car is at SFFM right now for a failed F1 pump. the failure is fresh in my mind.....your situation is not at all like mine. the car operated fine except due to the failed pump the car would not shift out of neutral.

there was a prior recent post I believe of someone who had a similar issue to you...the cause of that failure escapes me right now.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Demoe
When I talked to Gino in service on the phone, he said that he just had another car come in with an F1 failure - must have been yours. Then he made a joke about things happening in twos and threes. I wonder who is next to fill out our triple play, kind of like when celebrities die in threes?
I also wonder how long my car is going to be there.....
You probably got the one F1 pump they have in stock, assuming they even have one, and I will have to wait for parts to be delivered.
Anyway, good luck with your repair. Let's keep in touch on how it goes.
Mike

·
Registered
530 Posts
I think I'm gonna drive the Porsche til that third chimes in :D

Mike, was FMSF able to take you in right away? Aside from parts availability, what have they said about having someone available to work on the car?

·
Registered
192 Posts
I had a similar issue a while ago. Make sure they replace both the F1 Pump and the relay.

Mine was covered by warranty and took 2 days to fix. I use FMoWashington and they are superb.

Anyway, the F1 pump was overheating and it fried the relay too.

After the repair, the car was like brand new.

Hope this helps

-dsd

·
Registered
513 Posts
Mike, was FMSF able to take you in right away? Aside from parts availability, what have they said about having someone available to work on the car?[/QUOTE]

My car was towed in on Monday March 27, Gino was not able to look at it until April 4th.....I had expected it to be done today however have not heard from Gino since Tuesday.

While I find Gino to be great, the situation over at both of our local dealers (too much work, not enough help) makes the ownership of this car very difficult.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, the car got towed to FMOSF today, and they won't be able to look at it until mon/tue. It does seem that it is the F1 pump, which will be covered under warranty, and I'll probably have them do the clutch as well since they have to take out the tranny and I have 30K miles on the original.
I'll keep everyone posted on how it turns out.
Mike

·
Registered
530 Posts
At least it feels like Gino's a straight shooter. I can't say the same for FMSV.

I've always cosidered this a fun car not a daily driver. So I can live with service waits. What I don't take kindly is service incompetence or outright thievery.

Good luck to you guys and here's hoping you're back on the road soon.

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
I gotta tell ya, I think that most cars know whether they're being treated like a museum piece or a daily driver. Maybe there's a physical reason - seals and wear parts stay fresher when used frequently - or a metaphysical reason...but nevertheless, if you treat your Maserati like it was intended to be treated - as a high performance, everyday GT - I think it will reward you accordingly. If you are so afraid of driving/hurting it, it's like being an overprotective parent and your child will grow up soft and wimpy. Sure, things will bump and break, but that's part of life. Enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK, my car is back. The service department, and Gino in particular, at FMOSF was great.
It was definitely the F1 pump that failed. The pump failed on Thu, 4/6, and was towed to the dealer on Fri, 4/7. They diagnosed it on Mon, 4/10, and Gino said it could be back early the following week, but that there was some wheel damage (I have black pearl coated wheels) from the flatbed truck, and that it would take 10 working days to get the wheel down to SoCal to be recoated.
So, the car was returned to me on Mon, 4/24. Had I pressed, I think I could have picked it up on Fri, 4/21. Since my car was trailered in both directions I think the overall turnaround was great.
Everything seems to work fine, and the clutch is definitely more solid after replacement. I had the clutch replaced at the same time as the F1 pump warranty work, since I had 30k miles on the original. It cost ~$2300, which is a bit over ~$1000 less than normal, because the transmission had to be taken out for the F1 pump replacement anyway.
So, I am driving again, and a very happy camper. Very happy with the service at FMOSF.
Demoe - I just noticed the private message from you earlier this month. Sorry I missed that, but this email should answer your questions. Hope your repair went well also - although it seemed to take longer. Might have just been a supply/demand thing at the dealership.
Mike

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
6 Participants
MikeA
Maserati Forum
We’re a forum to discuss the Maserati Coupé, Spyder, GranTurismo, Ghibli, Quattroporte and more!
Full Forum Listing