Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Super Moderator
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, Just wanted to relate an experience over the weekend.

Drove down to Richmond from DC for XMAS to show the family the new toy. While down there the car started stalling when starting off. Letting the brakes release and having the car start to roll was about the only way to move from a dead stop. Needless to say this was very annoying, and disturbing for a new purchase.

After getting home (ran home early due to the impending blizzard that never materialized), and doing much research on this forum I determined that the problem was either the PIS (who comes up with these names), MAF, or the Clutch.

Now once the car started rolling it shifted just fine, and had no other problem.

Thanks to some other post pointing out where to find the MAF (the other options would have required a visit to the shop). I went outside and opened the hood and inspected the MAF and tried to determine if this was somthing I could do. While wiggling the connector it came right off in my hand. Not broken just not latched.

Examining it found the orange gasket loose on one side, and compressed on the other. Not sure how it should have looked, or how long its been this way, the last two inspections were done for the State Safety insp. in MD. and I doubt it would have been removed for this. And the other was in Cali. at Maserati and I suspect that while in Cali either at this dealership or earlier the MAF was disconnected for whatever reason.

Re-attaching the connector so that it 'clicked' solved all the problems.
Keep in mind it was VERY snug and needed alot of pushing to get the latch to catch, which may be why it was never attached in the first place.

Anyway, just thought I would share, what to expect with a malfunctioning MAF.

Thanks to all the info on this site, I was able to isolate and fix my issue for $0.

And, Happy new year to everyone.

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
I love stories with a happy ending. Well done mdhurst!

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
All Greek to me..... except the $0 part :rolleyes:

I hope I never have lift the hood..... the car would never run again:thumbsdown:

Good going Mechanic Hurst

·
Registered
90 Posts
[QUOTE/]What's a hood?[/QUOTE]

Have one of these around here, but we call it neighborhood. ;)

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Congrats on the no-cost fix. I'm sure it will save someone else headaches in the future.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
PIS named after the famed clutch alignment master PIS Mehoff. His brother Jack went on to other things....

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
PIS named after the famed clutch alignment master PIS Mehoff. His brother Jack went on to other things....
That's because PIS would always refuse Jack when he tried to lend him a hand....what a jerk.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
LOL, Buzz!

Do you know Jack's cousin on the Hunt side of the family? I believe his first name is Mike.
LOL Dawg! Are we really all so similar? I guess all Maserati owners are a little twisted :) Happy New Year my friends of over 4 years!

·
Registered
359 Posts
All this discussion of Jack, Mike et al reminds me of a song I used to sing in country bars many years ago that went like this:

I saw her snatch,
Her suitacse from the window,
I held her but,
She had to go.
I kissed her as,
She headed to the station,
To see her brother Jack off,
On the train.

Hapy new year guys and thanks for the tip on the MAF.

Jon

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
tillicum - Those lyrics kinda remind me of the innuendo in your own screen name....hmmm...innuendo....another one - I think that's Italian for something....

·
Registered
359 Posts
tillicum - Those lyrics kinda remind me of the innuendo in your own screen name....hmmm...innuendo....another one - I think that's Italian for something....
Hmm, hadn't thought of that. "Tillicum" is a Coast Salish term - west coast and all that. Means "welcome" . . . hmmm . . . . Nah!

Moderator . . . how does one change their screen name?

Jon

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I wanna kiss her but.......
She won't let me..
I wanna whisper sweet nothings in 'er ear

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
All this discussion of Jack, Mike et al reminds me of a song I used to sing in country bars many years ago that went like this:

I saw her snatch,
Her suitacse from the window,
I held her but,
She had to go.
I kissed her as,
She headed to the station,
To see her brother Jack off,
On the train.

Hapy new year guys and thanks for the tip on the MAF.

Jon
Hey Jon, I won't be happy tillicum...

·
Registered
359 Posts
Vincenzo and Buzz, I see what you mean! My handle wasn't intended to be an innuendo. Really. It's a fairty commmon word in BC and WA, orginally from the Coast Salish nation. We have streets and even schools using the name.

I have no idea where the song lyrics originated. Used to sing it as part of a band routine in the late 60's. But I can see you guys are very creative and could easily add several verses if given the opportunity.

Jon

1 - 20 of 28 Posts