Maserati Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!

I am relocating for work to the SF area. Hills are a pain in the ass for parking our cars. Does anyone think I may be better off selling my car and not taking it with me?

What are your experiences in terms of parking on SF hills and all the break-ins I keep hearing about.

Thanks!

·
Vendor
4,728 Posts
Hey everyone!

I am relocating for work to the SF area. Hills are a pain in the ass for parking our cars. Does anyone think I may be better off selling my car and not taking it with me?

What are your experiences in terms of parking on SF hills and all the break-ins I keep hearing about.

Thanks!
Not trying to be self serving, but honestly... I should be able to fix this with our new drive by wire enhancement. I lived in the Bay Area for most of my life, we can get you a program which will help you back up from and take off on a hill. I'll work with you to get the engagement correct.

·
Registered
722 Posts
SF area or SF itself? In "the city" you really want a 7-year-old beater. Everywhere else, the Maser should be fine.

·
Registered
242 Posts
In the City, you are best off with an automatic or you will be putting up with some expensive clutch burn smell ;)

As for break-ins, be conscious of the neighborhoods you park in and you'll do fine. It's a fantastic place to live.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I live over in Oakland

Will you be parking the car outside? If so, then be prepared for "san francisco" bumpers. most people here "park by braille" that is use your bumper to determine when they should stop. I always park in the first space on a corner so no one can back their SUV onto my hood. In all honesty, there are better cars if you plan to most of your driving within SF

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
Will you be parking the car outside? If so, then be prepared for "san francisco" bumpers. most people here "park by braille" that is use your bumper to determine when they should stop. I always park in the first space on a corner so no one can back their SUV onto my hood. In all honesty, there are better cars if you plan to most of your driving within SF
This is very true, some ahole hit me the other day as you can see where his front plate screws dug into the bumper.

I really don't see a problem with having the car in SF. Even if you live in Nob Hill or Russian Hill you'll be fine, avoid routes where possible (i.e. I'll go up two blocks to Leavenworth to avoid going up Taylor as @ California it is very steep.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I wouldn't sell it. The hills will be harder on the clutch, but hopefully some of these mods will help. Having lived in SF for many years (until a fairly recent move down south), the biggest difference between SF and LA for cars is that parking in SF really, really sucks. In some neighborhoods (e.g. Russian Hill) it can be impossible to find any parking anywhere on the street. And unlike LA, very few places have valet, so I've actually ditched reservations before because I've spent 45 minutes looking for parking. My advice is: if you're going to live in the city, find a place in SF that has inside parking (can be tough if you really want to live in certain neighborhoods, but it can be done), and then use taxis at night (hey - get to drink then, too) and public transport to work (if you work in the city) - and use the car for fun drives (Sonoma). Taxis are much more convenient than in LA (at least since they increased the number of taxis in SF - a few years ago it was hard to get one), and the city is much, much smaller.

A lot of folks I know (including me) also got a beater car (or at least a car you don't worry about) for running errands in the city when you know people are going to bash your bumpers, etc.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for your help!

I think I will keep the Maser, as I think I would be heartbroken every day without it;)

Keep the tips coming please, especially with hill-y streets to avoid!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Not trying to be self serving, but honestly... I should be able to fix this with our new drive by wire enhancement. I lived in the Bay Area for most of my life, we can get you a program which will help you back up from and take off on a hill. I'll work with you to get the engagement correct.
I live on the peninsula and have driven and parked on what I would call mild hills. The only issue that scares me is the parking brake does not "feel" like it is totally secure on a hill (maybe I should carry wheel blocks like you see at the airport in my trunk). What other issues should I expect on steep hills like in SF, and what would this "drive by wire" enhancement do specifically to solve those issues? I used to work in the city (SF), and while I had my own indoor parking garage, I never liked driving nice cars in the middle of the city. Between the taxis, jaywalking pedestrians, cyclists, muni drivers, potholes, and other obstacles, it wasn't worth rolling the dice twice a day.

·
Vendor
4,728 Posts
The big problem with the Maserati CC F-1 is that if you're backing up or starting off on a hill, the clutch slips quite excessively and on very aggressive hills, it's a real problem. It's so much of a problem that you almost can't back up a steep hill without smelling the clutch burning. It's expensive and annoying. What's worse is that your computer then starts to expect that this is standard for you and sometimes you'll just be trying to cross an intersection and it will actually slip the clutch there too causing a semi-dangerous situation where you can't just jump across the intersection into traffic.

Our Drive By Wire Enhancement Module will correct this problem so that when you press the accelerator pedal the car will start off or back up similar to how an automatic car does, that is... the car just moves, no excessive slipping.

I would further help to fine tune this program with you in the case that you feel that it needs to be more or less aggressive for SF hills as we're interested in offering solutions to people. I'm sure that there are other SF drivers who would like to have this enhancement as well and it would be nice to say that it is SF tested and our customers are happy with the product as a solution to this problem.

Best Regards

·
Registered
491 Posts
I am curious about how this DBW mod affects slow/minute movement controls. IE park in a tight (and I mean *TIGHT*) spaces when you have to move half an inch... or those times you try to move as close to the curb so that the backend does not stick out too much into traffic...?

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
You could also get a Smart car for the city and then parking becomes more available. I kid you not, I've seen over a dozen of them in the last 10 days so they are clearly catching on. It's about time too, too many damn SUVs that take up too much space.

·
Vendor
4,728 Posts
I am curious about how this DBW mod affects slow/minute movement controls. IE park in a tight (and I mean *TIGHT*) spaces when you have to move half an inch... or those times you try to move as close to the curb so that the backend does not stick out too much into traffic...?
I believe that car drives correctly with our Drive By Wire Enhancement Module and without drawbacks. In our opinion this is how it should have been delivered by Maserati.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I say live on the Pennensula around Foster City/San Mateo/Millbrae. You'll be close to the airport and between SF and Sunnyvale. You'll also be close to 92 and a WONDERFUL drive to Half Moon Bay and on down PCH. THIS will make keeping the car worthwile. It's not too common to drive really steep streets unless you (or your GF) live on one. Some around San Bruno/South City but... ewwww.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts