Maserati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, pretty new to this site and this is my first post!

I currently own a Quattroporte but was recently invited to test-drive a CLS AMG on track, and have to admit that I was quite impressed... Handled well and the signed plate on the engine (made by one man from start to finish) was quite charming.

What are everyone's thoughts on AMG?

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
one man one engine.
62 qualified technicians.

what, they make 20,000 amg's a year?

oh sorry, that was 4 years ago.

so there are at least 100,000+ amg's on the road? wow.

how many maserati's do you see daily (besides the one in your garage)?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree. I work Kensington way and they are ten a penny around here. Although I did read that Mercedes only sell around 600 of them a year so not sure where they all come from!!

I was impressed by their drivability though. I guess there's a difference betweeen being 'elite' (i.e. low volume) and performance and what matters to you as the driver...

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
What's the latest on MB's quality issues? I never thought I'd say this, but my Maserati has been of exemplary quality! ;-)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've heard it's better actually. They improved on the JD Power survey. It's their aftersales that gets the most slating...

·
Registered
86 Posts
I drove quite a few days the CLS 55AMG. European specs meaning biturbo nearly 500BHPs and 650 Nm of torque.
Amazing engine
Great handling, stopping power from another planet, (same brakes with the SLR) acceptable quality (not superior) fun to drive, but..........
NO SPORTINESS AT ALL
ESP could not be dissangaged, steering was more like a truck's, and the brakes was always working very hard not to allow both front and rear wheels to spin.
Front when understeering, rear..... all the time.
FOr me this is useles power!!!!!!
what do i need 500 BHPs if i could not use them the way i want.
I could be perfectly fast with a CLS500 with nearly 400 BHPs and almost half the price of the AMG.
Most of all though all AMGs are look alikes with the "humble" sisters. They all look the same.
So MASERATI UBER ALLES

·
Registered
518 Posts
I have an SL55 AMG they are not the most precise cars...they are bulky and heavy huge brakes huge power no finesse when you are hard in them you dont drive them as you do a maserati you beat them into submission

Fast road stuff in my SL is about as precise as using a slegehammer for brain surgery

·
Registered
695 Posts
Handled well and the signed plate on the engine (made by one man from start to finish) was quite charming.
Did the engine tech leave his phone number? You are right - it is "charming" as in a feel good marketing tool but otherwise meaningless.

I don't do four doors, but for something really special - I would either choose beauty and interior opulence (the QP, as you have) or something even a bit rarer - an Alpina B7.

Too many interesting choices in that price range to select a AMG Mercedes Benz, IMHO.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts