Maserati Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yep, manual and no skyhook to deal with later. Car was kitted out with GS detailing everywhere. Sideskirts, front/rear bumpers, interior seats/steering wheel, etc..etc.. Now it's onto the performance stuff like everything mentioned in this thread. The goal was to make it the 6 speed manual GranSport that never was I also am looking at the FD wheels, but would love to find a set of stock GS wheels at an affordable price (doesn't seem possible)! :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I went through the same decision point with the springs and there is probably not really a correct answer.
I also understand the springs will provide a good result. This is probably great value as long as the shocks can be trusted to continue operating effectively. The other point about the springs is that because they also lower the vehicle, this means the range of movement of the shocks is reduced. Not sure if this a problem in the long run though.

In the end I decided because there was a considerable investment in time and/or money in the installation of either option, I went for the FD coil overs as I did not want to risk the OEM coil overs failing at some point and having to do it all again.

BTW - It appears Eurospares have a set of original rims available Eurospares are the worldwide number 1 supplier of the complete range of new and used Maserati 4200 Gransport (2005) parts Wheels 046 This is how I obtained mine (when I purchased the GS it had after market rims).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
OK, turns out the auto electrician misunderstood the instructions. I worked the problem out for myself once I saw the picture he had taken to provide to FD. Consequently, I have changed to a different auto electrician. Probably have an update on the DBW module install in about 2 weeks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
The FD DBW module has finally been installed and I have to agree with most of the other posts about the DBW module. It really does provide much better clutch engagement and throttle opening, particularly on take off and in the lower gears. The awesome power of the Ferrari V8 goes to the wheels virtually straight away instead of the normal slow start. The GS is still easy to handle but can be turned into a tyre shreading monster if you want to.

Also installed the FD ECM module. This has made a significant improvement in power, with the car now pulling away at all revs with much more authority and allowing later gear changes. Also helps in the tyre shreading department.

These two mods together have turned a good car into what it should have always been, a powerful beast ready to be unleashed at any time. I absolutley recommend these mods.

My only thought is to the poor Maserati engineers who were forced to detune their wonderful creation just to make it a little more pliable around town.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts